Guide Misha's Guide to the Basics of Pirating

Did this Guide help you?

• Total voters

Misha

Site Founder
Hey there, folks! With a sudden spike in the population with the simultaneous double EXP event this last weekend, I'd like to create a small guide featuring both the basic mechanics to TLOPO, as well as a few tips to help those newbies gain an edge that many players didn't find out about until later on.

FIRSTLY, If you are reading this guide with the intent to learn from it, make sure that you play the game's basic tutorial after creating your Pirate. (Though this guide explains a plethora of written information, having hands on is an overall better way to play the game.)

Movement & Camera

TLOPO's Movement system is rather simple, allowing the following options between WASD or Arrow Keys (These keys are commonly featured on Desktop keyboards, if you are a laptop user and do not have these, don't worry about them.)
After getting the hang of moving your pirate around, it should also be taken into account that the Camera can be controlled with the Right Mouse Button to have a better control of your view, but can be left alone since your camera is also paired with your movement.
HOWEVER: For ship movement, I would highly advise the use of WASD paired with the RMB to have a better grip of the ship's controls since they don't turn at the exact rate of your button presses, a bit slower rather.

Combat

After leaving the tutorial, the weapon inventory for looted items can be found via the I Key, or by following the icons shown below. It is also worth noting that weapons on your Hotbar can be accessed by using the F1, F2, F3, and F4 Keys, and weapons can be assigned and unassigned at anytime through the weapons menu shown below.
65d2162fa1b3f23e4ef4b8e0d5cdb0ba.png

In TLOPO, Combat is based on a lock-on mechanic, shown as follows!
4035facc0fc764287970f7308704e1db.png

In the image above, I am using a pistol and I am within the range limit of the gun, hence the Red cursor hovering above the enemy in front of me. Do not be mistaken though, all weapons have a certain maximum range, with guns bearing the most of any weapon class in the game.

There are three colors the circle can be, indicating your range from the target.

A RED Target circle means that you are within range of the target and that you will hit it if you click, as shown above.
A YELLOW Target circle indicates that you are very close to the effective range of your weapon, but there is a chance that the attack will not hit.
A GREY Target circle indicates that you are far out of range of your target, and if you attempt to attack at that distance regardless, it will pop up with a notifier, saying:
57da549766c4f6b4cff262735739b11a.png

Combat: Enemies and Levels

A staple mechanic to the game that you will especially begin to notice at lower levels, will be the different colored Level Tags next to an enemy name. Enemies will come in four different varieties of tags:

Enemies with GREY Nametags are complete pushovers. They will grant miniscule EXP and Loot, and are generally not worth your time.
Opponents with GREEN Nametags are relatively easy. They grant more EXP than Grey tagged enemies, but are slightly reduced and should generally be avoided to level efficiently.
Foes with YELLOW Nametags are the opponents you should generally see eye-to-eye with. These opponents will grant you the best experience for your time to kill them, and will generally be relatively forgiving in regards to combat.
Enemies with RED Nametags are the toughest foes you will meet. These opponents usually hail 10 Levels above your pirate and/or weapon or are a boss. These opponents will typically have the best EXP and Loot, but are also extremely dangerous to take on alone, and can be unforgiving; As well, it should also be noted that enemies of this calibur can cause your weapons to miss often, making them extremely hard to kill.

These opponents are best avoided without a group or a weapon that is leveled to their equivalent!

(NOTE: Now that Invasions are readily available on both Tortuga and Port Royal, it is worth noting that these enemies will not have level tags, but will instead gain strength over the course of the invasion. If you aren't capable of fighting, I would recommend evacuating the island of choice until the invasion has been dealt with!)

Weapons & Loot

Upon killing enemies, there is a chance that they will drop an item known as a loot (pouch/chest/skull chest). If you got a hit on the opponent, you will be able to access the loot by hitting SHIFT. The rarity of loot depends on the type of container it comes in, Pouches being the worst, and Skull Chests being the best.
a3031f54e7c7098b7ddfd5c50a468c04.gif

You may have noticed while killing enemies, that you've gained a level on your weapon/s! Congratulations! Each level into a weapon earns you 1 Skill Point, which can be spent in the skills inventory on that weapon, by pressing K, which will bring up the weapon loadout.

While you are in this loadout page, any skills that are greyed out, or that have a number presently next to them can be upgraded. However, skills that are blacked out and are not showing an icon cannot be unlocked until a set level, which can be found by hovering over it.

Upgradable
2ed95c0f8c01f6458c4292239a4ef985.gif

7c7b08ae9d47c31aa218972158cc2a5f.gif

Non-Upgradable
232e98dc156f47e571a6e40f9277960c.gif

(As you can see, it requires Level 17 to unlock, and is completely blacked out.)
NOTE: Dagger and Cutlass attacks are both based in combo chains, this also means that they must be unlocked in order:
efa41a1c49eee32fbe8473408dace34b.gif

Questing & The Journal

Pirates can access their log journal for active quests at any time by pressing J. Quests that appear in the journal can be taken from NPC's or will be given to you at various checkpoints in your level progression for both Notoriety and weapon level ups. This is also how you unlock new classes of weapons.

During quests in the Caribbean, players have the option to mark a specific objective, which will cast a ray of light from the heavens and marks the target of whatever your pirate needs, be it ships or enemies.
819dade19a2fc06c594e13d7015ad40b.gif

(TIP!: When looking for a specific enemy or ship, it is always smart to turn your compass on via hitting the C key. Enemies will pop up as stars there too!)
9d6b1c61d1a17b06c807002c7104e123.gif

Last edited:
Setting Sail & Porting

The obvious staple of a pirate game, being able to explore the high seas, is no different here. After following the main questline "The Liberation Of The Black Pearl", you will be required to go down to the shipwright on Port Royal in order to get your first Light Sloop. After naming her, the game will guide you to the nearest Dinghy, a longboat able to be found on most coastal areas on any island in the Caribbean.
67cdc4b36300d9e05e145b8e7f7e48ce.png

After making your way to the sea, control your ship as we talked about, by going to the ship's wheel and hitting SHIFT. After this you will be in full control, using your movement keys to control her.

When it's time to make port at dry land, assuming you aren't dealing with any Bounty Hunters, you will need to ram full force into the side of the island and click the Anchor icon, as shown here:
88be60128b3f1ce3c5f33797610829d7.gif

and voila! You're back in port!

Summary

I hope to all you newbies, that this guide has been helpful! Welcome to the TLOPO Community! For those of you that see something I may have missed, do feel free to let me know and I will add in everything needed!

Last edited:
I am not a new pirate, but this was extremely well made! I can see many new privateers learning the ropes from this guide. Thanks Misha.

I am not a new pirate, but this was extremely well made! I can see many new privateers learning the ropes from this guide. Thanks Misha.
Always appreciate the feedback mate! Thank you, and I hope that new players can use this effectively!

Back