Guide Password Security - How not to screw it up.

Mike Wass

Former TLOPO Developer
I am posting this thread in light of the recent leak of a similar project's password database. If you are a user who tends to use the same password multiple times, please change your password. It is a security risk for yourself, along with anywhere you have an account with elevated privileges.

As Tom Scott says in the below video, at some point when you are doing web-based projects, you will need to store passwords... and it is very easy to screw up. It is up to date, and explains three ways to NOT store passwords. The other project stored them plaintext, meaning your raw password was left in the database for anyone to see.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZtInClXe1Q

The best way to store passwords at the time of this publishing is hashing and salting, which is briefly explained in above video.

This article worth the read: https://paragonie.com/blog/2016/02/how-safely-store-password-in-2016

All of the above links explain all of what you need to know to store passwords safely on any web project.

Last edited:
Can't we just keep it in our noggin?

lol the server would need a lot of noggins ;) The OP is talking about how the game itself stores everyones passwords, so you can log in ;) Plain text is bad, very bad and amateurish.

No one should be able to see your passwords, ever, ever, ever.

I have never heard of system administrators keeping the passwords in readable text, that is the greatest disservice anyone can do to an enduser, in my opinion.

If you played there, change all your passwords, everywhere.

Password encryption is not new and is essential for several reasons. There are apps that can easily handle this task for a dev in milliseconds.
Anything else is just careless.

Your password database is stored safely i assume, hopefully.

just make a good password some of these password manger dont work well at all use lastpass if want I would just make pass and right down on paper somewhere safe

Back