Pirates of the Carribean: Source

I'm just saying it's funny how you seem to have randomly appeared with /exactly/ as much work done as tlopo has

I'm just saying it's funny how you seem to have randomly appeared with /exactly/ as much work done as tlopo has
On what are you basing the progress of POTCS vs. TLOPO? Certainly not what has been presented in this thread.

@Talaith makes a good point and - I would hope - others would see that this is the problem when any open-source/closed-source project is presented.

People have to realize that an important attribute towards rallying support in lieu of open/closed source is people's familiarity with you and your team along with a foundation built upon trust. Since open-source is all about everyone's contribution, transparency and familiarity is a must! (My prior post to this thread explains the 'why').

Last edited by a moderator:
I also see this as a threat on a security level. With open source, assuming nothing else flags it first, would make it dangerously easy for hackers to develop trainers and hooks because they would have the code in their own hands, the only reason hacking doesn't always work is because you cant get the code, but if they have it they'll just wreck the entire game.

@thetestgame Where is your code being hosted at?

Is there a public link yet to the latest version?

I also see this as a threat on a security level. With open source, assuming nothing else flags it first, would make it dangerously easy for hackers to develop trainers and hooks because they would have the code in their own hands, the only reason hacking doesn't always work is because you cant get the code, but if they have it they'll just wreck the entire game.
Arguably, with it being open source would allow the community to potentially recognize these exploits and develop patches for them.

However, the game source itself wouldn't be where to look for these. It'd be in the runtime software. However having the source itself public would allow for people to steal your work and violate your licenses with the source.

@Mike Wass I looked through the links he had posted and there places for all the content but there's blank text files and empty zip files, it seems like it was there but was removed or taken down. I also thank you for your input on my opinion of it as I did not think about the runtime software at all, although I do know of a few people who claim to have developed items through, it would seem that with your knowledge that this could not be true. I thank you for writing as I have a very intermediate knowledge of writing things into source and didn't know if it was indeed plausible. For the protection of some other games i have kept up with a few well disguised authentication sites regarding the hacking word in order to protect certain games, as have a number of my friends over the years, I will make sure to keep up with it as the game moves into open beta when that long day comes and I will make sure to notify you of any of the occurrences. This game meant a great deal to me in the day and it's revival even more so. I do also agree with you that content theft is a greater issue here, I hope everything gets worked out with this, thanks for commenting to my post, I like collaborating with others on the forums! :)

I don't see why everyone is getting so worked up over nothing.
Two reasons primarily, I think:
  1. It's unethical for people to justify open-source by capitalizing upon the exploitation of other's time, work, and labor (regardless of the property itself belonging to another entity)
  2. People fear open-source because they sense it creates greater instances of hacking and inter-community division and fragmentation
The root cause of the first reason is founded upon a lack of common courtesy/decency towards energy spent by others. The second reason listed remains open to further debate (as even TTR's code was stolen despite that project itself remaining closed-source [and not open]).

Two reasons primarily, I think:
  1. It's unethical for people to justify open-source by capitalizing upon the exploitation of other's time, work, and labor (regardless of the property itself belonging to another entity)
  2. People fear open-source because they sense it creates greater instances of hacking and inter-community division and fragmentation
The root cause of the first reason is founded upon a lack of common courtesy/decency towards energy spent by others. The second reason listed remains open to further debate (as even TTR's code was stolen despite that project itself remaining closed-source [and not open]).
Hmm, I can see why some people would be offended then.

Because some people find it hard to accept that they're not the only ones that can develop games.
Although that may be true, put yourself in the developers shoes, after you spent days and days programming a game, would you be so willing to just give up the source? So that any and everyone who are capable to have and do whatever with? There's a reason why big game companies barely ever make their games open source

Although that may be true, put yourself in the developers shoes, after you spent days and days programming a game, would you be so willing to just give up the source? So that any and everyone who are capable to have and do whatever with? There's a reason why big game companies barely ever make their games open source

It's not their game to begin with, so from a legal perspective if this guy wants to make his own open source version of the game, he can. Even if he did steal it from the developers (which I highly doubt given the ingenuity of POTCS) there's nothing they could do about it. I hate to be blunt, but if it's not their game, they cannot prevent him from doing what he wants with it.

Content was deleted by the user: I decided that my opinion was not in the best interest of the community and therefore, I removed it

Last edited:
Hello Everyone!

I have started work on what could be an exciting addition to the POTCO community. An entirely open source POTCO remake. The project spawned out of a desire to be able to make spin off games of POTCO like people have been doing with Toontown. In only a week I have made some significant progress.

JM0ocGs.png

Currently I have a very early version of the make-a-pirate system working.

gwvcQYE.png

I also have a working system for saving and loading accounts and pirates from the server database however I do not have a easy screenshot to show for this right now.

Next step. Load in the world...
Yd1wnCA.png

The project also will feature HD remastered textures from the original game along with minor improvements to the overall graphics quality.

rXaE23E.jpg

If your interested in joining the project send me a message! I'd love some assistance. Currently the project just consists of me and my best friend.
Looks s wet!

That doesn't quite answer my question. I am asking plainly and simply, people with keys, have they downloaded elements for things like enemies despite the server for those with keys-not the developer one-not having many of the features being claimed within here.
Interesting question! This is not a TLOPO-related area of the forums, so don't want to take away from discussion of POTCS going on here. Thanks! :)

I have some news regarding POTCS's progress. Though its not the most exciting update ever its still great progress.

We just finished optimizing the Pirate DNA system and have started to implement proper saving and loading of pirates. It is not perfect yet but its progress.
earlydnaloadingtests-png.68634

Good news to the few people that do follow this project! Thanks to a few friends we have recently secured the original source code of the 2013 build of POTCO. It will be a while before this makes any noticeable effect but its definitely giving us a bunch of code we were missing prior.

Back