Public voice chat.

would you use a public voice chat run by the TLOPO team?

• Total voters

Chendo1213

Sea Legs
I do not mean in game but more so say a discord chat something open to everyone. A place to meet new people and discuss problems in real time.

This was just a thought. What are your thoughts?
dumb? Excellent? Meh? Let me know!

There is already a TLOPO Discord that is ran by fans and not the actual team. I don't think they actual team needs to run a voice chat of any kind.

All the discords are run by players and have little groups of friends running them. There's a struggle for "admin power" on discord servers between kids, its quite funny. A TLOPO Staff organized server would be interesting, but honestly, we managed to play without one years ago, we can manage the same this time around.

Most people use the main player-made discord. It also has TLOPO staff in it most of the time. If you would like an invite link PM me.

I can appreciate the idea of actually chatting with the groups. I was in a guild years ago and we had a chat system. I think it was ventrilo?
However, I always felt badly because there were guild members without access. These members were basically stuck with dead guild chat on the screen most of the time - while everyone else was laughing it up on headsets and missing members requests for assistance. Not cool ...
For now, I prefer to keep things simple and stick with the Forum "as is". I actually appreciate being able to log in without feeling added pressure to strike up a verbal conversation. :)

Could someone link to that discord? On topic, I would definitely like an optional voice channel ingame!

First of all I HIGHLY doubt this would ever be implemented by the developers. Not only is something like real-time audio going to be pretty taxing on the servers, but its going to be impossible to moderate. And with the very strict rules regarding chatting on TLOPO, I wouldn't think they would implement anything that could have a possibility of being less "family friendly."

On another note. It's just a bad idea... I've never used the voice chat in any game that has it included. It turns out to be a cluster-cringe fest. And while it can be humorous for a while it quickly becomes annoying if you want to actually use it as it would be intended. Voice chatting is something that works better in small groups anyways. Friends pretty much know when to stop being annoying, random people will know when to stop but they just won't care.

First of all I HIGHLY doubt this would ever be implemented by the developers. Not only is something like real-time audio going to be pretty taxing on the servers, but its going to be impossible to moderate. And with the very strict rules regarding chatting on TLOPO, I wouldn't think they would implement anything that could have a possibility of being less "family friendly."

On another note. It's just a bad idea... I've never used the voice chat in any game that has it included. It turns out to be a cluster-cringe fest. And while it can be humorous for a while it quickly becomes annoying if you want to actually use it as it would be intended. Voice chatting is something that works better in small groups anyways. Friends pretty much know when to stop being annoying, random people will know when to stop but they just won't care.

The server is free to host if it's discord, so no strain at all for the servers since it wouldn't mess with them. I will speak from experience though, it is almost impossible to moderate voice chat - you're very correct on this. Most fan discords heavily moderate text chat but ignore voice completely, so you're left with an IRC type deal anyway.

As for the cluster-cringe fest, most of us just retreat to locked rooms to avoid it... it gets messy fast. Can't begin to count how many times the server-wide voice mute or forced push-to-talk was used. Great idea for those that don't mind dealing with all of this, but wow, moderation is a living nightmare come to life.

It'd be an interesting feature and it would be a lot simpler to talk with mic than typing! Also when you ignore someone it mutes their mic as well!

Back