Rare Ship Material Chests

Do you remember Rare Ship Material Chests from POTCO having regular materials in them also?

• Yes

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

StueGryffindor

Honorable Pirate
I've looked through the whole ships log and found nothing, so I'm posting this here.

In POTCO, Rare Ship Material chests gathered from Warships had a double supply of regular materials in them. So far, that isn't the case here. I would often get 100 plus iron or pine, canvas could build also. And yes, that's numbers from a single run--I ran a 28-cargo War Galleon. In POTCO, if you wanted to start upgrading a new ship and were working on rank 5 of 6 for another, you didn't have much problem. Because you were sinking Warships looking for steel, you had a surplus of pine and canvas, and sometimes iron too.

You might remember also that you had to sink 5 hunters before the SOTLs would appear. This means you always had at least 5 and usually more like 10 regular mat chests by the end of a mat run.

Last edited:
I also remember that not all ships o' the line had the same mats, and I think silk was only available from the En Gardes, as I recall.
But as Eric has pointed out, only Hunters had the common mats, and you had to sink 5 of those before the warships would come after you with their rare stuff.
Now I also recall that none of the rare mats were restricted, as in steel was just as abundant as oak and silk from rare mats, unlike now in tlopo where 3 steel on a run is considered normal.

Okay, that's why I wanted to check with others in the community. I recall there being 5 hunters, but when I'd go on those I would only sink the 5 hunters and then my crew was on warships exclusively.

I'd still get plenty of regular materials, which is why I was pretty sure there were regulars in the rare mat chests.

Back