Raspberry Pi Lovers

T

TheGleamings

Well I thought seeming as we have people who love coding, we may have a few Raspberry Pi users here.

And no, I'm not talking about the dish (however nice), I mean the little computer to help people learn programming. Maybe it's just a thing across the pond but I love my Raspberry Pi and wondered if anyone has done any cool projects with theirs?

My favorite project for sure is creating a CCTV system using lots of Pi Cameras and a bit of computing. It took long but I was very proud of it at the time!

I've got about 50 of them xD. Personally, I've created a home automation system by linking a bunch of pi's to arduino's and then having a "Master" PI host a web page that I can log into and adjust various things around the house. It's quite cool!

I've got about 50 of them xD. Personally, I've created a home automation system by linking a bunch of pi's to arduino's and then having a "Master" PI host a web page that I can log into and adjust various things around the house. It's quite cool!
That's very cool! I've never used an Arduino before but they're a bit more hardware-oriented right?

Yes, they can interact with DC motors, IR led's, etc. They are programmable but if you want a bigger library or want to use a different language you can link them with a pi.

ooh :D I have an original Raspi Model B :) I haven't used it much because I haven't a permanent use for it. At the moment I've got a custom linux distro on it that is basically an airplay receiver for audio and pictures. I would love to get a Raspi 3 for a small emulation system.

If anyone's got ideas for what to do with them on a rainy day, please share :D

That's very cool! I've never used an Arduino before but they're a bit more hardware-oriented right?
That's because Arduinos are development boards with microcontrollers, whereas RPi is a SoC. But if you compare an Arduino with microcontrollers, you'll see how high-level, abstracted and practical the Arduino is. That's one of the reasons why it's recommended for beginners.

On-topic : I haven't tried a RPi, but lately I've been thinking of buying one. So far it looks very much like a smartphone without cellular networking.

That's because Arduinos are development boards with microcontrollers, whereas RPi is a SoC. But if you compare an Arduino with microcontrollers, you'll see how high-level, abstracted and practical the Arduino is. That's one of the reasons why it's recommended for beginners.

On-topic : I haven't tried a RPi, but lately I've been thinking of buying one. So far it looks very much like a smartphone without cellular networking.
It's definitely great value for money, I can't wait to see what happens to it in the future!

I've never personally used one, but my dad rigged one up with a bunch of old games (think Atari and NES) for my little siblings. They had a little game corner and hooked it up to a monitor with some NES controllers. It was super cool, imo.

I love my Raspberry Pi 3. I got it as a simple machine to download things for me. Just send it a link to a file and it will download it for me and I can simply scp it to my local computer or whatever computer I want on the network. I am a Linux fan boy so RP's are down my ally!

Hate to double post but has anyone here gotten a usb to ethernet adapter for their raspberry pi to increase transfer speeds over the local network? I have been moving a fair number of files between a server and the pi and was wondering if getting an adapter would be worth it.

Back