Revised chat censoring

Should the chat censoring by revised like this?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tree01110

Sea Legs
I have an idea for chat censorship. Some really strange things such as "uhh" are blocked in the chat and I think that the rules for chat should be written to only EXCLUDE certain things such as cuss words and maybe controversial topics like homo***uality and racism. That would also free up a considerable amount of ram whilst typing. Framerates can drop by up to 3 frames per second when typing. This just seems like a good idea to me.

This is called a blacklist. It's a recurring argument, with a recurring response: Nah.

TLOPO uses a whitelist as well as a blacklist, and without a change in leadership this is unlikely to change in the near future.

Davy Darkrage said:
Unfortunately, open chat isn't on the table. I'd expect any poll to be nearly unanimous in favor of its return, without question. It's not really a matter of how many people want it though. We understand it's cumbersome, but there are external chat services if you feel restricted by in-game chat.

Last I recall it had something to do with preventing C&D orders. The mouse's lawyers don't like their assets being used the wrong way.

In the same case, I don't know why CPPS.me is still around, but I think the point stands. ↓

Bhlf9DW.png

This is called a blacklist. It's a recurring argument, with a recurring response: Nah.

TLOPO uses a whitelist as well as a blacklist, and without a change in leadership this is unlikely to change in the near future.

Last I recall it had something to do with preventing C&D orders. The mouse doesn't like seeing its assets used the wrong way.

In the same case, I don't know why CPPS.me is still around ↓ but I think the point stands.

Bhlf9DW.png
What are the current relations with Disney?

What are the current relations with Disney?
Back in 2013, Disney was bombarded with emails about TLOPO (edit: yes, at this time the project was under the name of Rewritten, which merged with TLOPO to become the project it is today). I would like to believe they are well aware of us and are peacefully ignoring our existence. The responses people claimed to have gotten back stated that the project is allowed to use game assets as long as it does not make any money off the game.

The chat restrictions I assume are just an extra precaution. Anyone else with more information feel free to chime in here.

Last edited:
I have an idea for chat censorship. Some really strange things such as "uhh" are blocked in the chat and I think that the rules for chat should be written to only EXCLUDE certain things such as cuss words and maybe controversial topics like homo***uality and racism. That would also free up a considerable amount of ram whilst typing. Framerates can drop by up to 3 frames per second when typing. This just seems like a good idea to me.
Yeah, I feel like chat is sooo difficult in this game. I think it should use your age to censor chat. If you're 18+, words that are red should show up anyways. I think censoring should be age based.

Back in 2013, Disney was bombarded with emails about TLOPO. I would like to believe they are well aware of us and are peacefully ignoring our existence. The responses people claimed to have gotten back stated that the project is allowed to use game assets as long as it does not make any money off the game.

The chat restrictions I assume are just an extra precaution. Anyone else with more information feel free to chime in here.
I always thought we had no open chat option because the moderators don't have a lot of time to sit there and review reports that's why I believe they're starting to blacklist words put together to mean inappropriate things like for example black hawk

Back in 2013, Disney was bombarded with emails about TLOPO. I would like to believe they are well aware of us and are peacefully ignoring our existence. The responses people claimed to have gotten back stated that the project is allowed to use game assets as long as it does not make any money off the game.

Thank you. I just think the whole thing is neat and I shouldn't complain about the situation with Disney because we got our game back and that's all that matters, but still. I just wish some things could be different

There have been plenty of threads made about this topic already. Tlopo's reasons for their chat policy have been told, and we just need to accept the way it is. If you want to request words be added, use the Whitelist Suggestion Thread.
Honestly, do we really need to add stutters like 'uhhh'? :smh: Uhhh, what next?
Maybe we should suggest that 'Grrrrrrrrrr' be added with 4 to 10 R's so we have different irritation levels to portray ;)

The Whitelist is working out well. Give it a try!
https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/

Unfortunately a few things in this thread are built more off speculation than fact. Allow me to clear that up. Tlopo didn't exist in 2013, actually mid 2015 and I'm not sure any relationship has ever been struck up with Disney.
Also there are many threads that keep popping up about the chat system, allow me to also clear that up. Alot of folks seem to think that TLOPO has gone out of its way to not let words be said... Unfortunately there was no add English language button and the words have to be manually put into the game. More words that you can't say haven't been added than the thought evoking "TLOPO won't let me talk" theory. Now I know folks have repeatedly said that open chat should be established and the only sound theory I have heard so far is its to cover TLOPO's butt... Which I'm sure isn't completely wrong. This game was made to be enjoyable, and words are added daily... The TOS states what will and will not be added.
Hope this clears a few holes up.

Unfortunately a few things in this thread or built more off speculation than fact. Allow me to clear that up lol. Tlopo didn't exist in 2013, actually mid 2015.
Also there are many threads that keep popping up about the chat system, allow me to also clear that up. Alot of folks seem to think that TLOPO has gone out of its way to not let words be said... Unfortunately there was no add English language button and the words have been manually put into the game. More words that you can't say haven't been added than the thought evoking TLOPO won't let me talk theory. Now I know folks have repeatedly said that open chat should be established and the only sound theory I have heard so far is its to cover TLOPO's butt... Which isnt completely wrong. This game was made to be enjoyable, and words are added daily... The TOS states what will and will not be added.
Hope this clears a few holes up.
I consider Rewritten to be one in the same as TLOPO for the sake of simplicity. I'm aware of the difference, but thank you for pointing that out. I edited my previous post for clarity.

I think the whitelist is the best thing we can get if open chat is not on the table - I'm not even fighting for it anymore. I originally posted in this thread to inform the OP about what you're trying to tell me now.

@John Foulroberts I posted a quote from Davy Darkrage containing that link earlier in the thread. It's a good be-all-end-all to this thread. Thanks again.

Rewritten ended in 2014, and as the current devs joined in 2015...i consider them 2 very different projects regardless of project head changes or activity. I too know the difference. My point being no remake project has contacted Disney extensively as you stated... The POTCO Community (including many members here) messaged Disney repeatedly with nothing to show for it, from the time they announced the games closure, passed 2013. Disney has never contacted them or really paid any attention to the different remakes existence since closure.
The white list will grow as folks add worthwhile suggestions to the whitelist thread. Just trying to make sure everybody's history is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back