Video Sailing is back!

deathsvice sailing.jpg

It seems almost too much of a light blue. I don't know maybe it was always like that.
You're right, the water is not the same as POTCO. I'm pretty sure the devs are working on bringing back the old water though, I've seen at least 1 screenshot from the dev server with POTCO's water.
I think @Mike Wass spent a good amount of time entirely re-writing the code for water. It's been a tricky feature. I'm not sure if there are plans to change it or not.

EDIT: Correction, the lovely @loblao was the one who re-wrote the code. :)

Last edited:
You're right, the water is not the same as POTCO. I'm pretty sure the devs are working on bringing back the old water though, I've seen at least 1 screenshot from the dev server with POTCO's water.
I think @Mike Wass spent a good amount of time entirely re-writing the code for water. It's been a tricky feature. I'm not sure if there are plans to change it or not.
The waves and such like POTCO and shader details were implemented for a short time on alpha but then taken down due to them being very resource intensive. I'm sure they will re-lease them sometime when they have the time to optimize it, but its probably not at the top of their priorities (I would assume).

Water is one of the trickiest things in the code.. it's strange. @loblao rewrote the entire code which handles waves, etc, in C++. Which even in C++, the game still lags with it -- just not as much.

In game, we noticed about a 20 FPS drop by having the water implemented on the islands.. so for now it's disabled. After we optimize the water a ton, we'll be more than happy to rerelease the water again.

The screenshots of the game being exactly like POTCO's is when we kinda toyed around with the game. I think John set his settings to something strange, and then entered full screen and closed back out of it. After doing that, he had the old water. We haven't been able to replicate this via the code of the game yet, but eventually that'll happen.

I agree with Bart, this isn't high on our priorities list -- but rest assured, it is one of our priorities.

Back