Question Ship Upgrades

RomanSpartan

Honorable Pirate
So, I started to upgrade my War Frigate yesterday, and I was wondering:
If you upgrade to skull and bones for example (fury broadsides), can you also upgrade to another one (like copperhead) as well? How does that work?

You’ll end up picking either a streamlined, cargo, or reinforced pathway and then that leads to unique options like copperhead and skull and bones. If you were to choose a cargo path for instance then this opens upgrades the ship variants on that path, which I believe are fortune hunter, firestorm, and skull and bones. When you’re on these final upgrades you can pick whichever tree you want and the game allows you to switch from the available trees at any point, but you can’t, for example, get skull and bones and firestorm upgrades for a fury and fire broadside. Since you asked about switching from skull and bones and copperhead I’ll mention that I’m pretty sure you can’t do that since copperhead is only from the reinforced path.

You’ll end up picking either a streamlined, cargo, or reinforced pathway and then that leads to unique options like copperhead and skull and bones. If you were to choose a cargo path for instance then this opens upgrades the ship variants on that path, which I believe are fortune hunter, firestorm, and skull and bones. When you’re on these final upgrades you can pick whichever tree you want and the game allows you to switch from the available trees at any point, but you can’t, for example, get skull and bones and firestorm upgrades for a fury and fire broadside. Since you asked about switching from skull and bones and copperhead I’ll mention that I’m pretty sure you can’t do that since copperhead is only from the reinforced path.
Ah gotcha. Thanks!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I've understood you properly Ned, but you can switch from say a level 6 Copperhead to a level 6 Storm Chaser which is right at the other end of the range, but it costs a fortune in both materials and gold. Basically you have to convert from Copper (which is on the reinforced track) to Skull (which is on both the reinforced and cargo track), to Fortune (which is on the cargo track) to Firestorm (which is on both the cargo and streamlined track) to Storm (which is on the streamlined track). I'm not sure of the precise cost of each conversion but I think it is at least the same as upgrading your ship from level 5 to level 6 within a track. Of course if you convert a lower level ship it is proportionally cheaper.

Hey guys, I'm not sure if I've understood you properly Ned, but you can switch from say a level 6 Copperhead to a level 6 Storm Chaser which is right at the other end of the range, but it costs a fortune in both materials and gold. Basically you have to convert from Copper (which is on the reinforced track) to Skull (which is on both the reinforced and cargo track), to Fortune (which is on the cargo track) to Firestorm (which is on both the cargo and streamlined track) to Storm (which is on the streamlined track). I'm not sure of the precise cost of each conversion but I think it is at least the same as upgrading your ship from level 5 to level 6 within a track. Of course if you convert a lower level ship it is proportionally cheaper.
Looking at my level 6 skull and bones now, it looks like I can actually convert it into a copperhead or a fortune hunter so I was wrong. It appears to cost the same to convert as it does to simply by the upgrade if you were already on that path.

Thought: maybe they should add that feature

I'm not sure it would give you a very powerful or predictable ship. Ned @Ned-Reddavis is the expert on this sort of calculation and might be able to confirm. The issue is that the way of increasing your broadside firepower is to match it with high cannon skill points on the chosen ammo together with the appropriate (matching) cannon ram. If I understand you correctly and you would like a ship that would shoot a proportion of say fury and a proportion of lightning, I wouldn't be confident that you would have as much firepower as in a current configuration, even if you maxed your skill points on the two types of ammo. This is because you can only carry one cannon ram. Where the percentage chance of a high level ammunition barrage is not great, you might even be better with a standard high level ship of your choosing and using a steel ram (as all shoot a proportion of standard ammo). Ned?

I'm not sure it would give you a very powerful or predictable ship. Ned @Ned-Reddavis is the expert on this sort of calculation and might be able to confirm. The issue is that the way of increasing your broadside firepower is to match it with high cannon skill points on the chosen ammo together with the appropriate (matching) cannon ram. If I understand you correctly and you would like a ship that would shoot a proportion of say fury and a proportion of lightning, I wouldn't be confident that you would have as much firepower as in a current configuration, even if you maxed your skill points on the two types of ammo. This is because you can only carry one cannon ram. Where the percentage chance of a high level ammunition barrage is not great, you might even be better with a standard high level ship of your choosing and using a steel ram (as all shoot a proportion of standard ammo). Ned?
Well the base damage for fury is twice that of round shots for broadsides, so yeah if you had a stormchaser ship and then also replaced some round shots with fury then it would be a slight improvement. I think as long as your seconday shot does more than round shots, i.e. fury, thunderbolt, or explosive, then the mixed broadside concept here would improve damage. IMO we're already very powerful at sea though and this just sounds like power creep, which is why I doubt this concept will ever come to fruition in-game.

Thanks Ned, that makes sense. I was working on a different assumption, that the round shot proportion would remain the same and the 'special' shot proportion would be split between two types of ammo, but I guess that might not be what the OP meant.

Well the base damage for fury is twice that of round shots for broadsides, so yeah if you had a stormchaser ship and then also replaced some round shots with fury then it would be a slight improvement. I think as long as your seconday shot does more than round shots, i.e. fury, thunderbolt, or explosive, then the mixed broadside concept here would improve damage. IMO we're already very powerful at sea though and this just sounds like power creep, which is why I doubt this concept will ever come to fruition in-game.
Question, kinda sorta semi on topic. Is your cannon skill set points parleyed to your ships broadsides? Say, I didn't max out steel cannon ball base skill spot. Would this be detrimental to your ships broadsides? Sorry, to off topic, but didn't think this ??? was worth it's own thread.
thx for any input.

Question, kinda sorta semi on topic. Is your cannon skill set points parleyed to your ships broadsides? Say, I didn't max out steel cannon ball base skill spot. Would this be detrimental to your ships broadsides? Sorry, to off topic, but didn't think this ??? was worth it's own thread.
thx for any input.
Yes, increasing the damage of your cannon ammo increases the damage of that ammo for your broadsides. So, since rank 5 round shot is twice the damage of rank 1 round shot, this makes an un-upgraded ship's broadside also do double damage.

Last edited:
Back