Suggestion about the old islands

Benjamin Calicovane

Notorious Pirate
Ah, the old islands. In the game from the very beginning, but by mid-2009 they had all been replaced. When you think of your nostalgic days of the game when you first started playing, no doubt your memories are filled with events that happened on the old islands. Which is the reason many players want them back; the nostalgia.

However, the islands were surely taken out of the game for a reason. What Disney's motive was, we can never be 100% sure. Most likely lag issues and wanting to make more new-player-friendly environments. However, as it nears 7 years since the old islands were removed, no doubt that there's a large amount of players who would love the nostalgia trip of playing on them once again.

Alas, adding the old islands into TLOPO is not the best way to go. How would we do it? Pick and choose which servers have which islands? Remove the new islands all together? That wouldn't be worth the work to the staff. However, there is a way all players can enjoy the old islands once more. A landwalker.

On October 15, 2014, the another remake team released a landwalker of POTCO (found here)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWOsnu9kHP0
It's incredibly simple. Which is good, because that's all a landwalker needs to be - a basic tool to explore an area. The landwalker I'm envisioning would be/include...
  • Set up like the another remake one
  • No log-in screen, loads right up to an island
  • Slightly better controls than the another remake one, this one would use the movement controls found in POTCO/TLOPO
  • A pre-built character to run around islands with
  • 4 buttons on the side to teleport to the 4 islands that were changed in 2009 - Port Royal, Toruga, Padres del Fuego, and Isla Tormenta
  • All the caves found on the old islands, and possibly the insides of shops, NPCs, and non-fight-able enemies (only if the devs can make them accurate towards the old islands, however)

I've seen rough, unpolished remakes of old Port Royal, Tortuga, Tormenta, and various caves of each. I have not yet seen one of old Padres, but I'm sure the files exist somewhere. Of course, this is not a project to work on right now, this would only become a priority after TLOPO is fully released. However, many players would love the opportunity to experience the old islands again, even if it is just in single player. I know I sure would.

While I have never experienced the "Old POTCO" Pre-Disney Destruction (as it would seem from the Founders and folklore would suggest of this era :))i feel as though respectively with due time that once an emulator is established and well functioning that an emulation of the Old POTCO should respectively exist-be it as a server of an emulator that also emulates the late POTCO or a separate project altogether that may concurrently work with the established emulator.

Back