SVS to stronk.

Fearless

Pirate Apprentice
Is it just me or is the damage now way to much? I couldnt take the wheel of my war frig before I got one shot broadsided by a copperhead war frig. Next spawn I got taken out in 8 hits by fury, Full health to none.

No not too strong.. just fixed, the damage tables are now the way they were in potco!! Now SVS is playable again!

I don't ever remember sinking so easily in SVS and I was big into SVS back on potco. I was one of those war sloop storm chaser owners. Yeah it's playable again but I still don't remember it being that easy. Honestly I don't think 6 shots should be able to sink someone. Let's also remember that sailing items don't work too so those 6 shots means they only had level 5 fury. No rev ram

Svs is fine. Copperhead 6 war frigs can one shot broadside you. Just try to avoid their broadside, or get a copperhead 6 war frig lolol

Player ships were definitely stronger in SvS than they were on open ocean. They should not be as weak as regular NPC ships. Specifically, player ships took great damage reduction while they still had armour, but once the armour was gone they would take damage like any normal ship.

Notice on this video from 2011, at the time stamp (2:04) the guy is firing thunderbolts at a War Sloop. One shot (while the enemy ship has armour) does 229 damage, then the next shot (at an unarmoured spot) does 1480. Those are not normal numbers. That's more than 50% damage reduction on top of the already existing 50% reduction from armour.

Edit: Looks like the timestamp doesn't work when embedded. you can just go to this link, or go to the time (2m 4s) manually.
It's surprisingly hard to find SvS videos that have what I want. They're all compilations of sinking enemy ships, which means the numbers we see are basically always armourless. And a lot of them are terrible quality. Wow we had so few good recorders back then.

Think about it: if your ship was supposed to be as weak as normal enemy ships, a War Galleon could be sunk by a single Open Fire broadside from a non-upgraded ship. But anyone who played SvS in POTCO knows your ship could definitely survive multiple broadsides.

Last edited:
Player ships were definitely stronger in SvS than they were on open ocean. They should not be as weak as regular NPC ships. Specifically, player ships took great damage reduction while they still had armour, but once the armour was gone they would take damage like any normal ship.

It's surprisingly hard to find SvS videos that have what I want. They're all compilations of sinking enemy ships, which means the numbers we see are basically always armourless. And a lot of them are terrible quality. Wow we had so few good recorders back then.

Yeah I was watching my brother play SvS yesterday and he got sunk with a max War Frigate by just one broadside and a few cannons from their crew. The battle was literally over in less then 3 seconds. I know everyone that plays the game now is hardcore players in the olden days, but there were definitely high level crews back then that didn't pack near much of a punch as that. That is overpowered, and I do not think it was ever like it is right now in POTCO.

Also lol I so know what you mean about SvS videos. I used to want to relive memories of PvP and SvS, and there are practically no good videos out on either of them, and the ones that are pretty OKAY are terrible quality.

in potco you couldn't get a level 5 or 6 copperhead because it was considered overpowered
This is just a (poor) rumour. Stop spreading it.

Here is a thread from 2012 from the POTCO forums that outlines the three Copperhead levels. Pretty sure that means they existed.
Copperhead IV Copperhead V Copperhead VI
Broadside Bonus
+5% Explosive chance +10% Explosive chance +15% Explosive chance

Skull & Bones IV Skull & Bones V Skull & Bones VI
Broadside 15 % 33% 50%
Fortune Hunter IV Fortune Hunter V Fortune Hunter VI
Broadside +15% Firebrand chance +30% Firebrand chance +45% Firebrand Chance

Firestorm IV Firestorm V Firestorm VI
Broadside Bonus +20% Firebrand chance 40% Firebrand chance 60% Firebrand chance

Storm Chaser IV Storm Chaser V Storm Chaser VI
Broadside Bonus +15% Thunderbolt chance +30% Thunderbolt chance +45% Thunderbolt chance

SvS was so better before ships were upgraded at all. You all had the same ships, and you all had to rely on skills and crew.(Yeah, I'd love everyone to launch from pvp island with base boats myself. Like a seperate instance. With boundaries. ) No one is gonna be happy totally with adjustments(pirates forget they also have to upgrade their skills to match the ship upgrades oftentimes...and those are custom choices...how can they possibly take all the varients of different styles and choices made and adjust/nerf one style of upgrade), but we are stuck with ship slots being full of OP ships now. I love my copper 6, I worked hard for it...I don't want to live thru nerfs galore when game goes open...so I'd like to see it done now.... Devs get out there and svs more!!!!

Last edited:
Svs is fine. Copperhead 6 war frigs can one shot broadside you. Just try to avoid their broadside, or get a copperhead 6 war frig lolol
SvS is still broke. I have never gotten one shot broadsided... Ever, in POTCO. It just simply doesn't happen. And one does not simply "avoid their broadside" with the ship lock on a thing.

Anyways like what @Tiame said, I remember SvS before ship upgrades, and it was great! Sure there was no variety, but it was a level playing field with your skills determining whether you lived or sunk. I also think repairing should be disabled for SvS, but that's just me. I'm tired of nearly sinking fools to then having them scram and repair. Be honorable!

SvS is still broke. I have never gotten one shot broadsided... Ever, in POTCO. It just simply doesn't happen. And one does not simply "avoid their broadside" with the ship lock on a thing.
Umm ok, can you elaborate on how it's still broke? I wasn't even talking about svs in potco... I never said avoiding it was simple, all i said was try to avoid their broadside.

Umm ok, can you elaborate on how it's still broke? I wasn't even talking about svs in potco... I never said avoiding it was simple, all i said was try to avoid their broadside.
It's still broke in the sense that people are dying way too fast. And I mentioned POTCO because people are saying SvS is now exactly how it was in POTCO, but it's not, yet. Just do some quick research mate, people have already spoke about it.

It's still broke in the sense that people are dying way too fast. And I mentioned POTCO because people are saying SvS is now exactly how it was in POTCO, but it's not, yet. Just do some quick research mate, people have already spoke about it.
You think repairing should be disabled for svs, therefore ppl would still be dying fast so I don't understand why you think that's the reason it's broke. And just bc ppl are saying svs is now exactly how it was in potco, doesn't mean I said that.

You think repairing should be disabled for svs, therefore ppl would still be dying fast so I don't understand why you think that's the reason it's broke. And just bc ppl are saying svs is now exactly how it was in potco, doesn't mean I said that.
Disabling repairs is a whole other discussion. Possibly disabling repairs while the ship is moving is the way to go? Just my opinion though and in terms of damage intake from broadsides, it's irrelevant. SvS is not quite how it was, but almost there.

Back