Tales from Tech Support (Or Any Humorous Problem Tech-Related)

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
Some of you might know the famous Tales from Tech Support part of the Internet. I'm bringing it here! :D

If any of you have any humorous situations where you've had to explain a tech-related problem and/or term to someone or fix a simple technical problem, this is the thread to put it!

Many months ago in my high school, there was a girl that raised her hand to call the teacher. She complained that the computer "wasn't working." I walked up to her computer and noticed the screen was pitch-black and the light that was usually on when the monitor was on was, in fact, dim. I pressed the Power button and the monitor turned on, revealing the Windows 7 log-in screen. "I think your monitor should probably be turned on before you try to do anything on this PC--" She had already moved to another computer (thankfully with its monitor on) and I had a free seat next to me to put my books on. :p

I went to Xbox Live support chat to ask some questions about the Xbox One, which was simply if I needed 24/7 connection to use the console. Turned out I didn't, but it took the person I was talking to 45 minutes to answer my one question.

Some of you might know the famous Tales from Tech Support part of the Internet. I'm bringing it here! :D

If any of you have any humorous situations where you've had to explain a tech-related problem and/or term to someone or fix a simple technical problem, this is the thread to put it!

Many months ago in my high school, there was a girl that raised her hand to call the teacher. She complained that the computer "wasn't working." I walked up to her computer and noticed the screen was pitch-black and the light that was usually on when the monitor was on was, in fact, dim. I pressed the Power button and the monitor turned on, revealing the Windows 7 log-in screen. "I think your monitor should probably be turned on before you try to do anything on this PC--" She had already moved to another computer (thankfully with its monitor on) and I had a free seat next to me to put my books on. :p

Too often do people mistake the computer for the monitor.. I heard many tales from a professor who used to work in the IT department...
"My computer is frozen on this screen, and i've tried turning it on and off but the screen doesn't go away"
Professor - "whats the name of your computer?"
"Magnavox?"
Professor - "*facedesk*"....
Nuff said =/ lol At least it brings laughter to us, right Gastro? :)

Too often do people mistake the computer for the monitor.. I heard many tales from a professor who used to work in the IT department...
"My computer is frozen on this screen, and i've tried turning it on and off but the screen doesn't go away"
Professor - "whats the name of your computer?"
"Magnavox?"
Professor - "*facedesk*"....
Nuff said =/ lol At least it brings laughter to us, right Gastro? :)

Yeah, to those who aren't tech savvy, that's a common misconception. xD

It is quite hilarious to hear of these problems though, agreed. :p

I work at the local high school as the junior system administrator, but I occasionally will sit down at the help desk during peak times when students are free.

I've seen it all. Some kids feel compelled to defile school property. I've seen countless machines where they've taken our custom Windows image off and instead put a various list of Linux distros on - to which I promptly send them to my boss's office.

Also, please don't put stickers all over the laptops. The laptops are not yours. They are school property, and I will most likely start swearing under my breath when I have to take orange cleaner and scrub them off for about ten minutes. If anyone else is reading this that is enrolled in a school district with a 1:1 program, please do not do this. Please.

The list of excuses to explain physical damage has ranged from understandable to absolutely ridiculous to where I almost start laughing and lose my composure because of how stupid these kids sound. I can totally see right through that lie. I'm not stupid.

At times, the teachers are even worse than the students. They have a higher tendency to actually submit a ticket first though, which I appreciate. Some of the funniest are as follows:

(Google Docs) "How do I highlight text?"
(Google Docs) "How do I underline this text?"
"I can't find some files I saved yesterday. This has happened a few times. I swear, there's a ghost in my computer. It keeps taking my files away."
"The clip art is gone! Where is the clip art? I can't find it."

My most common ones I get are:

(Employee) "Hey, I just got this e-mail sent. Can you make sure the reply isn't being blocked by the firewall?"
(Me) *sighs*

Word to the wise: If you believe e-mail is somehow instantaneous then you've got more problems than one.

Also my company uses Microsoft Lync as a VOIP for our phone system (Works pretty well for anyone interested in swapping to VOIP) but it causes a lot of IO problems such as...

(Employee) Hey, I can't get my phone to work cause everytime I go to pick up a call it immediately hangs me up!
(Me) Are you picking up the phone AFTER you hit the call button with in the lync window and you wait for the window to pop up saying you're calling them?
(Employee) No! I always pick it up right after I hit the call button but it still drops me!
(Me) *30 minute drive down to the branch later* Can you show me how you make your calls?
(Employee) *Promptly proceeds to make a call then before letting it show that it's making a call picks up the phone and it immediately drops it*
(Me) *facedesk*

I'm so glad I get paid for gas and the time I waste fixing these wonderful IO errors.

Back