"Ten Little Mischiefs"

• Thread starter Shamus The Brute
  • Start date
S

Shamus The Brute

Note - For related information, please review this thread.

Chapter One - Where the Sidewalk Ends

The propeller of the Cessna 206 floatplane completed a few (half) rotation turns and then spat and gurgled in such a way which was quite unorthodox considering that a successful landing had just occurred.

Aerocet-Floats-Cessna-206-1210a.jpg

The commotion, strange as it were, prompted Thomas to look back over his shoulder as the pilot of the floatboat waved one last time towards his direction and then proceeded to manuever the plane opposite the shoreline to where Thomas stood. Standing motionless, Thomas watched as the floatplane's landing gear lifted steadily off the surface of the water and then up into the sky, a departure of which represented the end of "civilization" itself for Thomas.

To be sure, this trip was the most rugged experience Thomas had ever experienced. His travels in the past included only a few weekend excursions to Chicago along with half dozen trips made to three neighboring states on the mainland. By all accounts, Thomas was not an outdoorsman. Nature (by it's general definition to him), meant only a visit to the local zoo or city park. What had made matters worse for him is that since he first accepted the invitation to partake on this venture, Thomas' mind had been lingering all the while on the thought of being attacked out in the open by spying eagles, wild moose, and starved-crazed bears. Such thoughts had crept back within the recesses of his mind as he began to walk cautiously now with a heightened sense of paranoia. As he slowly made his way opposite the direction of the shoreline and lake, Thomas resorted to the fact that he must have gone crazy for the idea of accepting Mr. Own's invitation to visit Alaska.

e4e1c4920effaaea403d176d259686b6.jpg

A worn path, which did reveal itself, deceived Thomas at first as it appeared suitable for hiking. However, it's true ruggedness became more apparent with each stride that he took.

"Ugh," Thomas spoke out loud to himself, frustrated. "You would have thought with guests arriving that they would've hired a valet or rolled out the red carpet!"

As he reflected upon this for a moment, Thomas thought back to the invitiation he had received in the mail five weeks earlier and how the pilot of the floatplane today mentioned that Mr. Own's estate remains the only man-made structure erected on the entire property of Indian Island. Disgusted that he had agreed to place himself into such a remote environment, Thomas stomped down -hard- with his foot on a rock blanketed with moss which nearly caused himself to lose his balance and slip.

"Stupid frickin' rock! Can't you see I'm walking here?" Thomas spoke. As he looked down patiently waiting for the rock to explain itself, in a matter of self-righteousness Thomas dropped quickly the items he was carrying and picked up the rock and flung it towards a group of pines to the left of where he was standing.

As a matter of sabotage, it was not as if the rock itself was to blame. Earlier that day, Indian Island received a brief shower to where the rain droplets had saturated everything onsite with a light covering. The Italian black, leather shoes that Thomas was wearing did not particularly help his circumstance. As Thomas proceeded to pick up his belongings again to continue further down the path that he began to resent, the mud which was caked on the bottom of his loafers the entire time let down their guard and made an attempt to enjoy the "ride."

End of Chapter One

--------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two - The Waiting Game

"Everyone? Your attention please," the hired maid formally declared. "Once the last guest arrives, each of you will be shown suitable lodging and accommodations. Until then, your belongings may be left here and you are invited in the meantime to retire to the entertainment or billiard room."

Upon hearing of this direction, three out of the seven guests sat looking at each other while the other four randomly stood up anticipating a change of scenery from what they have seen so far on the estate grounds.

"Now, if you will follow my lead please, I will ..."

(KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK)

The rapping at the door interrupted the maid mid-sentence as well as her current train of thought. "Oh dear! That must be the arrival of number eight! If you will kindly excuse me please," she announced and scuttled off towards the direction of the foyer.

With almost the same amount of fervor the maid devoted towards her responsibilities, the four guests whom had stood up from their seats earlier reacted about as hastily and parked themselves right back down again in a way which looked deliberate but unassuming.

Unfortunately, by the time the maid had excused herself from the estate's library/study (the place where the rest of the guests were corralled), when she finally reached the front of the estate where the foyer was located the hired butler had already taken possession of the bag and gear that Thomas had brought along as he had finally arrived.

"Well, well, well..." Thomas spoke brushing off droplets of moisture away from the sleeves of his overcoat. "I cannot begin to tell you how enjoyable the journey was for me in arriving here," Thomas spoke in a snide form of tone. Without waiting to be invited, Thomas walked directly past the butler and crossed the estate's threshold and into the foyer.

"Your coat, sir?"

Without acknowledging him, Thomas shed off his coat and immediately focused his gaze upwards at the sizeable log-beams which supported the A-frame structure/architecture of at least one-half of the estate mansion.

"Good day sir, and welcome to Mr. Own's estate," the maid spoke up signifying her presence in a way which was positive but, also at the same time versed as she had to declare the statement throughout the day and at least seven other times.

"Hello. I am Thomas. Mr. Own invited me today for this little get-together he is having."

"Sir, if you please. I'll lead you towards the library/study room where the other guests have gathered," the butler interjected walking with Thomas' bag and gear towards the direction of the estate the maid had escaped from.

As Thomas stepped forward, he paused for a brief moment and without hesitation kicked off the right and then left Italian loafer shoes he had purchased just last month (indistinguishable now because of an encounter with Alaskan mud).

End of Chapter Two

I must say, this is an intriguing concept. I enjoy reading about nefariously mischievous individuals a lot more than playing next to them. A great beginning, I am laughing while picturing a rock "Explaining itself". Awaiting the next chapter from Agatha The Brute's "Murder He Wrote" mystery series! Keep em coming! :reading:

Chapter Three - Room for Introductions

"Ah, here we are," the butler proclaimed swiftly entering the library through one of the two doors left opened.

"Ladies and gentleman, I present to you our eighth and final guest. Please do me the honor in welcoming this gentleman standing before you - Mr. Thomas."

Thomas entered the estate library as the others looked on. He then bowed before them as if he had presented himself to them following the winning of some major award. One of the guests then stepped forward to approach him extending out his hand with the hope of reciprocating it into the form of a handshake, welcoming him into the group.

"How are you," spoke the guest with a smile upon his face. "My name is Chris. Well, it's a pleasure to meet you dear boy!"

As both men stood there for a moment silently shaking each other's hand, a few other guests stood up from their seats anticipating the words of their own introduction for Thomas.

"Finally!" chuckled Deon from amongst the group whom had approached Thomas placing his hand eagerly on Thomas' left shoulder, patting it as if they have known each other in some past life. "I was beginning to think this party of ours would have to begin without you," Deon jokingly teased.

"Aww, well yes," Thomas responded arrogantly. "It appears that the WELCOME MAT of Alaska had gone and TRIPPED myself up," Thomas remarked unapologetically adding both pitch and undertone to the volume of his voice.

"Oh dear! You have no boots nor shoes, Mr. Thomas!" pointed out another guest, named Ms. Alisen, whom had grown keenly aware now of the pattern of Thomas' socks.

photo-2.jpeg

"Well, I welcome you and it's a pleasure of mine to have met you," she quickly tried to change the subject leaving Thomas no chance to dwell on the matter.

By this time, the maid had re-entered the library and without giving the butler sufficient opportunity to continue she then interjected herself into the presence of the group, introducing Thomas to the rest of the guests Mr. Own himself had also formally invited.

One-by-one, as each guest' name was publicly recognized, the maid herself took on a alternative persona to where she conducted herself like some rigid school teacher taking roll-call from the roster of her own students. Agreeable though, as the name of each " pupil " was introduced, the other guests simply waved, nodded, or raised a hand towards the direction of where Thomas was standing.

The announcement of the names given of the other guests were:
- Mr. Ax Hull
- Doctor C. Ward (aka 'The Mental Man')
- Mr. Freezy
- Mr. Hefty Le' Mon Fella

"Now, while we await for Mr. Own's return from the unexpected departure he apparently took this past weekend, the two of us will begin preparations for this evening's dinner," the maid motioned to everyone as she then pointed a finger directly at her self and then the butler.

"If you may, please follow us as we lead you towards the rooms each of you will be lodging in during your stay here."

As she turned and made her way towards the exit of the library, those guests whom were sitting down stood up as the silence within the library gradually increased to a indistinctive chatter. Shortly thereafter, everyone progressed towards the estate hallway with luggage, bags, gear, and (computer) equipment in hand.

End of Chapter 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'll tell ya, from their talking to rocks, to their complicated socks, I don't trust the whole lot of them. I think it was Colonel Mustard, in the kitchen, with the candlestick. But the butler usually did it ... unless the butler is Alfred ... so it appears there is a conundrum afoot. A conundrum wearing ugly Christmas socks on their afoots.

Liking this story so far, and hoping the characters highly nefarious past deeds get passed around the dinner table along with the gravy boat. Keep em coming!

Back