The games demographic and how you can grow this community beyond what Disney could do.

Charlesman30

Sea Legs
Read it all. This could drastically help the game's growth in the future.

Demographics wise, the far majority of us are adults. Probably around 90% of the current users are those who played the original and are now in their late teens and early twenties. The chat system in the game is insulting enough to us as it is. I get the cute, kid friendly atmosphere you're creating, but there is a fine line between it helping the game's growth and depressing it. One of the main reasons for Disney being forced to drop many of their MMO's was because they failed to realize the limitations they set on themselves by trying to make their games far too kid friendly. They would have had far more users if they stopped limiting themselves to make everything as safe as possible for children. And their chat was their biggest perpetrator. MMO's are centered around cooperation. With massive limitations on communication among players, undoubtedly, many will be turned away. The majority of MMO's combat this issue by implementing a profanity filter. I've seen some of the development team say that they won't do this because kids will be able to "get around it." Of course they will. Kids are smart. It's not like you will be the heroes of all parents if you don't implement a profanity filter. You think you may be the gem in the rubble with your chat limitations, but you're really the rubble in a pile of gems. If kids are smart enough to get around a profanity filter, then they're smart enough to find something else to play. It's like an energy drink company taking sugar out of their energy drinks to help combat child obesity. I guarantee, out of the minuscule amount of kids who actually do drink energy drinks, all of them have countless ways to obtain their fair share of sugar elsewhere. You will lose business only for someone else to gain it. If your product doesn't give the satisfaction people want, then they will go somewhere else, which is exactly what happened to Disney's MMO's. They failed to see the appeal their games had on adults. Their constant focus on making sure nothing in their games were able to break the purity of a cute little innocent child ended up breaking their success and driving their games into the ground. If you guys keep this act going, all the older players will slowly be driven away. The majority of your players. The far majority. As for younger players, some might stick around, but not all. Kids love the feeling of freedom and adventure. If they can sail the high seas as they please (rhyme game though), but not say the word butt, they'll be sailing off to other games like Minecraft where nothing is holding them back. I'm sure that with all the work that you all have put into this game, you don't want it seeing the same end as before. This is where the mistakes Disney made can be finally fixed. Don't make the same choice that led Disney's MMO's to their demise. Disney doesn't call the shots anymore. You do.

I appreciate the work you all have done and I look forward to seeing where this game goes.

Thank you

Ahoy Charlesman ..
I have read your post and will just reply with this Lil Tidbit. I am aging myself here, hope that's appreciated! Lol
I began playing this game back in the day, in my late 30s, and am now a lovely, graceful *cough* - well you can do the math!
There is a very diverse age range of folks playing this game. It has always been that way and I believe it will always be. There is an allure for all ages to "Be A Pirate" - it is a very fun, whimsical adventure, as we well know ...
I have seen this chat / filter issue come up many times and it included thoughts as far as having separate versions of the game for 'adults' and 'pre-teens'. I personally appreciate the filter, as I enjoy the game more "drama free". My son also played years ago and it was nice not having to worry about the verbal innuendos he may run into while crewing up to sail the seas with other seafaring souls.
So, I would prefer (for myself and the children here) not getting the "verbal finger" every time I sink a Man-O-War out from underneath a fellow captain who may be a bit more competitive than I ...
Also, the game developers have funded and put everything into this game themselves. My understanding is it will always be "Free" to play and non-profit. So, with that in mind, it's their call! (And by the way, Bless their hearts for all they've done here!)
I would rather have an enjoyable atmosphere to relax and be merry to plunder in, than a crap storm of arrrr and yarrr cutting loose without the filter! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
:pirate ship:

Ahoy Charlesman ..
I have read your post and will just reply with this Lil Tidbit. I am aging myself here, hope that's appreciated! Lol
I began playing this game back in the day, in my late 30s, and am now a lovely, graceful *cough* - well you can do the math!
There is a very diverse age range of folks playing this game. It has always been that way and I believe it will always be. There is an allure for all ages to "Be A Pirate" - it is a very fun, whimsical adventure, as we well know ...
I have seen this chat / filter issue come up many times and it included thoughts as far as having separate versions of the game for 'adults' and 'pre-teens'. I personally appreciate the filter, as I enjoy the game more "drama free". My son also played years ago and it was nice not having to worry about the verbal innuendos he may run into while crewing up to sail the seas with other seafaring souls.
So, I would prefer (for myself and the children here) not getting the "verbal finger" every time I sink a Man-O-War out from underneath a fellow captain who may be a bit more competitive than I ...
Also, the game developers have funded and put everything into this game themselves. My understanding is it will always be "Free" to play and non-profit. So, with that in mind, it's their call! (And by the way, Bless their hearts for all they've done here!)
I would rather have an enjoyable atmosphere to relax and be merry to plunder in, than a crap storm of arrrr and yarrr cutting loose without the filter! Hope you have a Merry Christmas!
:pirate ship:
Yes, that I fully understand. That is why I wish for a parent controlled profanity filter so both sides can be satisfied and we can push this game to a much larger audience. The more pirates, the more fun!

Yes, that I fully understand. That is why I wish for a parent controlled profanity filter so both sides can be satisfied and we can push this game to a much larger audience. The more pirates, the more fun!

I guess I'm old school. I don't understand the need for profanity on the game. If I get that irritated, I'll curse out loud at my screen.
But I understand, to each his own ...
:cheers:

I guess I'm old school. I don't understand the need for profanity on the game. If I get that irritated, I'll curse out loud at my screen.
But I understand, to each his own ...
:cheers:
I'm more focused on getting a revamped chat system. The profanity filter is just a way to combat profanity. I remember back in POTCO, one of my good friends just quit playing because, since he was a poor typer, he would constantly be typing arrrr and the likes because he might slip in an extra letter while typing. He just got sick of retyping everything so he went and played Runescape. That happens to me about 10% of the time as well and can be very bothersome when you want to quickly relay information. I also worry about the fact that just about any word that could be related to a controversial topic is not allowed, like the word "cancer" or "suicide." I can understand how terms like this can be abused, but just about any word can be turned into something risque or offensive.

It would be nice to have a black list instead. where profane words would give the arr and anything else would be ok. Of course people will find ways around the blacklisted words but then again it is the communities job to report any work around they find so that they get added to the black list.

I'm more focused on getting a revamped chat system. The profanity filter is just a way to combat profanity. I remember back in POTCO, one of my good friends just quit playing because, since he was a poor typer, he would constantly be typing arrrr and the likes because he might slip in an extra letter while typing. He just got sick of retyping everything so he went and played Runescape. That happens to me about 10% of the time as well and can be very bothersome when you want to quickly relay information. I also worry about the fact that just about any word that could be related to a controversial topic is not allowed, like the word "cancer" or "suicide." I can understand how terms like this can be abused, but just about any word can be turned into something risque or offensive.

This happens to me as well and it's why I'd love a blacklist instead of a whitelist, and since this game now has a smaller and presumably more mature playerbase I think there wouldn't be too many issues with a blacklist. Regardless of if it's a whitelist or blacklist people will try to get around filters which can be moderated, even if you can't save everyone from seeing a word they might not like. Removing the whitelist would be a sign of having faith in the playerbase to use the chat function properly and I'm sure it would be appreciated by the vast majority of non-toxic players.

You could probably experiment with a blacklist depending on how much effort it would be to implement and see if it works or not, at least if it doesn't you'd have a fair case for the whitelist.

Back