TLOPO key drop petition

What system should TLOPO use for dropping keys?

• Application System (like another remake)

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Weekly Contests

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Scheduled Giveaways

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Keep currrent system

Votes: 8 25.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Talaith

Honorable Pirate
So, most of the people I've come across agree: the current key giveaway system is horrible, people are getting multiple keys or inexperienced people are getting keys and not using them beyond casual play, instead of for actual testing. Some people on IRC (Imcheese, kenny3503, and myself) decided that since we weren't allowed to ask the question in IRC, we'd create a poll here to petition our ideas. This is what we came up with:

Application System
Like another remake had, you put your name in the hat and get a chance at winning, everyone has an equal chance instead of having to lurk in IRC all day

Fair Weekly Contests
Contests like art, writing, music, a wide array that caters to everyone's specialties instead of contests being for programmers only

Scheduled Key Drops
Just like the current IRC drops, but we'd be alerted on when the drops are happening a day or two in advance, and instead of dropping 50 keys over the course of two weeks, all 50 keys would be dropped at once. This would give everyone an opportunity, instead of it being at random times.

Current System
The current system is random drops at random times on IRC, whenever staff feels like it. Only very lucky people and people who sit around all day staring at IRC get keys right now, and we haven't had any form of contest since before Christmas.

Hope this can help us get a more fair system, so that those who actually stick with the project and have experience with testing can get the chance to test too!

I'm not against anything you've said, but I just want to clarify one thing: those "programmer only" contests were all done by one developer. That's not how all contests would be handled, because at that time each dev got to hand out a certain amount of keys and that's how he chose to do it.

I'll shut up now :)

These are great ideas, however I fear with the current staff that certain people won't ever receive keys in an application system because the developers allow their judgement to be based on a personal bias, my vote would be on 2/3 those I think are the best way to keep it fair for everyone.

They're never scheduled, or on social media sites AFAIK, they're in streams and IRC usually

I've actually been in IRC a few times and discussed this. In my personal opinion, it should never be based off who gets there first but those who would dedicate themselves and it being based on merit; but above all experienced testers who will help benefit the development regardless of ones views on fair is fair or not. I don't think it should be fair. I think it should be based off of experience and benefit of effective testing and development.

I only know that the way they drop the keys NOW is unfair and sad. Come on people get a key and then they continue camping in the chat for another key. That sucks. And btw. the key drops are random. We can't spend all day long staring at the chat for a key, and even when it drops it doesn't mean that we are going to be that fast to catch it. We got school too, jobs we cant be all day on the chat. Staff is beeing inmature if they won't fix this, they got keys they don't care about us. Even the voters that want to keep the current system are people that already have a key. I agree with contest with a few winners to be picked or application so we submit our mail and they randomly pick lets say 15 people weekly. Anything is good besides the current one. The current one is a joke.

People will complain no matter HOW the keys are given away. I already pointed this out on the other thread that claimed that somehow, random key drops, where everyone who is there has an equal chance of getting one, is unfair.

Do they get the best testers that way? No. In fact, MANY of the people who first got a key, logged in and said they were bored, and didnt bother to log in again for months, and still never made it past level 5. Seems they only come on to complain about the slow progress and socialize. (real testers are thrilled that there IS any progress)

Unfortunately the key drop, which is totally random on purpose, give the most fair chance.

I would LOVE to see an application process, but then those that do not get chosen will again, cry "That's not fair!" or "they don't like me!" Also, I dont want the developers tied up in creating and judging weekly contests. That is counterproductive and takes away from making the game

I agree with @katnypp in the fact that any new key drop system would take time away from development and potentially create more problems. I'm not against any new kinds of giveaways, but I don't want development hindered.
Staff is beeing inmature if they won't fix this, they got keys they don't care about us.
I feel that this is rude and unnecessary. For starters they don't even need keys to access their own game.. and second, if they didn't care about us they wouldn't be bringing the game back to us or giving away any keys at all.

My two cents, writing as a software guy and POTCO fan and not as a player who's received (or requested) a key:

Sparky's post is right on. In true Alpha, clear expectations are set regarding who gets in. Friends and family is fine, but it's a give-to-get; users get access but work through a set of scenarios and record inputs for the devs. This input is required even if something works as expected.

This is tough on users who just want to play around; that's fine, but more of a beta activity. Alpha is still more of a test activity, and software testing is about systematically recording expected vs actual results.

Thus, my position is that keys should be granted to users who agree to support the development team's testing needs and process. More casual users who want to re-experience the game and not adhere to recording inputs can apply for beta.

Just my thoughts!

i was tied between schedule giveaways and the present sys. i think the most involvement in testing will be right after a news release and personal increase in downtime.

i was able to go back in after getting a new sys before heading to work for a walk about, but the game crashed after a tp to another isle -- it seemed to be the same issues, which was odd seeing that my sys is Brand NEW. i didnt report due to lack of time ... but that's besides the point.

i gathered that they drop the keys in the commoner field to be fair and just see how the server reacts to spontaneous game play and high traffic.
those who DO play for a purpose and report errors when is needed, are doing what they are suppose to do. but those who are there just to act like hyperactive jackrabbits and totally irreverent jerks by their chat and actions DO play some part. indirectly/passive testing other attributes of the game which should be looked at and corrected.

but you guys have to consider that this is ALPHA. beta may not even come until baddies, sailing, and tp to other locations will be full up to test.

Thus, my position is that keys should be granted to users who agree to support the development team's testing needs and process. More casual users who want to re-experience the game and not adhere to recording inputs can apply for beta.

which i guess is acknowledged or assigned via the News Updates? @Mike Wass @deanaug @katnypp ?

Last edited:
i was tied between schedule giveaways and the present sys. i think the most involvement in testing will be right after a news release and personal increase in downtime.

i was able to go back in after getting a new sys before work but crashed after a tp to another isle. i didnt report due to work but seemed to be the same issues, which was odd seeing that my sys is Brand NEW. .. but that's besides the point.

i gathered that they drop the keys in the commoner field to be fair and just see how the server reacts to spontaneous game play and high traffic.
those who DO play for a purpose and report errors when is needed, are doing what they are suppose to do. but those who are they just to act like hyperactive jackrabbits and totally irreverent jerks by their chat and actions DO play some part. indirectly/passive testing other attributes of the game which should be looked at and corrected.

but you guys have to consider that this is ALPHA. beta may not even come under baddies, sailing, and tp to other locations will be full up to test.

- Read your post after posting my reply. Agree. I like how you view 'non organized game play' :) as playing some part. I can see how that might help with performance testing, to a degree. All I can say is, kudos to the devs involved. It's tough and they seem to be moving forward and getting stuff done, not without frustration.

- Read your post after posting my reply. Agree. I like how you view 'non organized game play' :) as playing some part. I can see how that might help with performance testing, to a degree. All I can say is, kudos to the devs involved. It's tough and they seem to be moving forward and getting stuff done, not without frustration.

Where about? you had posted while i was composing. i only went back to acknowledge you. thought you were instructing me to "read" not that you had just "read."

That's how i've HAD to view it.

Last edited:
Just wanted to throw my two cents in there, we used a wheel when we did our gift card giveaway, and it seemed to roll over decently with everybody. It was purely chance and whatever it lands on, lands on. This would not only eliminate the idea of people sitting in IRC, but also frustrations, as it is once again, chance.I'd recommend you live stream it to show people that it's fair and square.

Other idea would be through art contests, screenshots, stories etc. Let the community pick (would be sort of fun. Easy as making a straw poll) as said in previous replies, everybody has a forte. Maybe other contests to showcase others skills. This could be done through livestream, that way it would be easier on everybody. No need to camp.

The application process, in my opinion is also a good idea. It could be a pure chance once again, or first come first serve.

Another thought would be to look at those accounts that have not been logged into for a certain amount of time. If a person hasn't logged into an account for 2 months. I personally would send a email to that person (automated) telling them that if they continue to be inactive, your alpha key will be revoked. This will not only free up more keys, but will give people more of a chance to get a key, almost like a rotation.

You could also do trivia questions, we recently did this for a medal and people had a blast. Whoever answers first, gets it.

We have some wonderfully talented people in the community.

Once again these are just purely my thoughts.

Cheers,
~Steve

Last edited:
No insults, just my opinion.
*Some of these things have already been implemented.
*The IRC method is way easier for the devs/staff.
*The IRC method is also faster for the player because u simply copy and paste and than play. Plus weekly giveaways are basically what
the IRC method is.
Big-Bang-Theory-Sheldon-Cooper-Its-very-simple-ANIMATED-GIF.gif

People will complain no matter HOW the keys are given away. I already pointed this out on the other thread that claimed that somehow, random key drops, where everyone who is there has an equal chance of getting one, is unfair.

Do they get the best testers that way? No. In fact, MANY of the people who first got a key, logged in and said they were bored, and didnt bother to log in again for months, and still never made it past level 5. Seems they only come on to complain about the slow progress and socialize. (real testers are thrilled that there IS any progress)

Unfortunately the key drop, which is totally random on purpose, give the most fair chance.

I would LOVE to see an application process, but then those that do not get chosen will again, cry "That's not fair!" or "they don't like me!" Also, I dont want the developers tied up in creating and judging weekly contests. That is counterproductive and takes away from making the game
preach!

Back