Idea Trading - The Red Meat Issue (Among many, lol)

C

Crashalot

Trading is obviously a hot topic, and there are those that want it and those opposed to it.
Since compromise usually works best in situations like this, I propose both sides try and hash out a workable remedy.
Opening a dialog where a solution/compromise can exist is the purpose of this thread.

While I personally feel there should be no trading, as it defeats one of the main premises of the game, I am a realist and always open to opposing views and ideas.

The direct pirate-to-pirate trading seems to be a scenario many fear would be abused, such as intra-pirate trading (trading with your alts) or "dupe" trading, where someone is not aware of the awesome weapon they have, and trades a World Eater for a Cabin Boy, etc.

For my part, I suggest that trading outright, or straight on, pirate to pirate, be limited to clothing and weapons in the Rare and below categories only.

For Famed and Legendary, I propose a sort of lottery or random trade, where no direct pirate-to-pirate trading occurs.
This can be achieved several ways, including an "auction" style transaction, an anonymous trade scheme or a "donation" pool.

For auctions, it's obvious; A weapon is put up for auction, and pirates bid accordingly. Obviously there are limits to this method, as gold maxes out at 300K. A solution to the max gold issue might be where players can also use their own weapons in the bidding process.

Anonymous trading would be where a pirate indicates a desire to trade a weapon, and when another pirate offers up a similarly ranked weapon, a notice of tender is made. So if I wanted to trade a Grand Blunderbuss, once another pirate offered up a similarly leveled/powered/valued weapon, I and the other pirate would receive notice to such, and we could agree or disagree to the transaction.

The donation concept would be where I don't want a weapon and I put it out in the pool, where another pirate may have an enhanced opportunity to loot said weapon.

These are raw ideas, and can surely be tweaked into reasonable working models with input from the community.

Obviously there are more ideas regarding trading, so please feel free to respond if you feel you may have a realistic solution to the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trading is obviously a hot topic, and there are those that want it and those opposed to it.
Since compromise usually works best in situations like this, I propose both sides try and hash out a workable remedy.
Opening a dialog where a solution/compromise can exist is the purpose of this thread.

While I personally feel there should be no trading, as it defeats one of the main premises of the game, I am a realist and always open to opposing views and ideas.

For my part, I suggest that trading outright, or straight on, pirate to pirate, be limited to clothing and weapons in the Rare and below categories only.

For Famed and Legendary, I propose a sort of lottery or random trade, where no direct pirate-to-pirate trading occurs.
This can be achieved several ways, including an "auction" style transaction, an anonymous trade scheme or a "donation" pool.

For auctions, it's obvious; A weapon is put up for auction, and pirates bid accordingly. Obviously there are limits to this method, as gold maxes out at 300K. A solution to the max gold issue might be where players can also use their own weapons in the bidding process.

Anonymous trading would be where a pirate indicates a desire to trade a weapon, and when another pirate offers up a similarly ranked weapon, a notice of tender is made. So if I wanted to trade a Grand Blunderbuss, once another pirate offered up a similarly leveled/powered/valued weapon, I and the other pirate would receive notice to such, and we could agree or disagree to the transaction.

The donation concept would be where I don't want a weapon and I put it out in the pool, where another pirate may have an enhanced opportunity to loot said weapon.

These are raw ideas, and can surely be tweaked into reasonable working models with input from the community.

The direct pirate-to-pirate trading seems to be a scenario many fear would be abused, such as intra-pirate trading (trading with your alts) or "dupe" trading, where someone is not aware of the awesome weapon they have, and trades a World Eater for a Cabin Boy, etc.

Obviously there are more ideas regarding trading, so please feel free to respond if you feel you may have a realistic solution to the issue.
I have no problems with another thread on trading as more people may see the new subject suggestions, but I 'to thunderous forum applause'
will not be commenting or involved in this thread as I've already publicly wrote and published my thesis. Just don't close it if you start getting some contentious responses. It's likely going to happen.

GL

Last edited:
I have no problems with another thread on trading as more people may see the new subject suggestions, but I ' to thunderous forum applause'
will not be commenting or involved in this thread as I've already publicly wrote and published my thesis. Just don't close it if you start getting come contentious responses. It's likely going to happen.

GL

The thread purports to hear out different ideas, with a compromise/solution to the topic posited.
Any input on that level would be acceptable.
Hard lining would probably be off-topic here, but one must always accept the possibility of such, regardless of the accuracy of the response within the parameters of the thread as outlined.

I've always thought an auction system would be way more fun!

Auctions seems like a fair possibility, with limits as to what can be offered up and what one can use to bid with.
I'm sure it can be done fairly with the right guidelines/rules in place.

if you have an item that a friend wants you'll be able to either gift it or trade with them
Welcome to the forums.

If you see the magnify glass icon here, you can search for "unlimited" threads which deal with this topic which interests you. *Never be afraid to use it. Also, this thread would suit better for readers within a different category. ;)

Again, welcome to the forums!

Auctions sounds nice but can creating bidding scams by others or by that players alt ! Guild wars has a nice trading set up , before you accept a trade you see a trade window with Items and / or gold ! This allows you to be sure of the trade before clicking " accept trade ".
" Caveat emptor "

Reality states it is highly successful to have trading or auction in alot of mmo. Try starting off with trading no higher than rare trades instead of famed or legendary witch means El Patron's Sword and Silver Freeze daggers would be the only legendary on auction starting out but your boss grinding can earn you gold or another currency used for auction buying only, witch would keep grinding going on witch keeps the peace with other grinders who have more time than others. Let me know what you all think of my idea or just post tyvm TLOPO Community and Staff.

No limits on items or amounts, anything can get traded or auctioned.
Well, except maybe your Mom.
Clearly designed trade/auction screens, multiple quantifiers to eliminate guesswork and alleged abuse that I don't think would exist in a free to play game. Developer protection of the coding is the same as the rest of the game.
The market will create the demand and always dictate the prices.
Trading- auctions are a no brainer, there are no real downsides, just perceived value deflation in peoples personal inventories that have zero to do with the game community itself or the function and enjoyment of the game for everyone else.
Yes, I broke my vow.

Just do it and see if it works. Stop the personal nonsense. Personal achievements and personal inventories mean nothing to the rest of the community. And never should.

I have always wanted trading. Maybe it could work like this.

1 Legendary would cost of 1 Legendary, 3 Famed, or 12 Rares.

1 Famed would cost of 1 Famed, 5 Rares, or 12 commons.

1 Rare is the cost of 1 Rare or 12 commons, or 20 Crudes.

Or 1 Common costs 1 Common or 12 Crudes.

Just an idea, and those low trades would only be for new comers who may not have any good weapons. So you'd stock up and be able to trade them and help out the lower level guys. But gold could also be added to that to make a difference on how many of that item you can trade. Kind of like the bidding Crashalot and Delaine mentioned. But you could also make this more even by yes, trading based on Attack damage, or every weapon has a tier, something like Barracuda for a Famed is like a Legendary, so it's a tier 1 item that everyone would want, same with something like Rev Ram, it is a tier 1 item everyone wants, you take the items that are most famous and sought after or rare and those are tier 1 items, then you have tier 2, 3, 4 , and 5 times, Crude being tier 5, honestly SF being a tier 2 item, it's really not that hard to find, in TLOPO alone I've found almost a dozen now. Maybe even TLS, found 3 now. Now every other Legend is a tier 1. Make sense? Idk, just ideas, if we can get more ideas, maybe we can have a mix of the best and make that work, either way, I do want trading to be a thing and work properly.

Also should raise the good max again, cause it is pretty dang easy to max out 300K still, maybe 500? Another thing actually, maybe trading Mats too! Some like me are in need of mats where others are almost maxed out, I know a few friends who have tons and can't use em anymore. Maybe you can say "I'll trade this for mats as well.", I sure would! So you ask for what kind of mats you want, they can put an amount up to what they have, and you can trade, I have some Famed I'd gladly trade for Mats and Gold! I still need a lot of upgrading for my ships, and I only keep the best of the best when it comes to Famed, I have almost maxed out space of good Famed and some Legends and few Rares. Which also, if this happens, please add 1 more section for weapons and clothing? Running out of space because of how many weapons and cloths there are lol. Keep having to delete more good stuff. I know, not very relatable to the thread but would help and be very nice.

I have always wanted trading. Maybe it could work like this.

1 Legendary would cost of 1 Legendary, 3 Famed, or 12 Rares.

1 Famed would cost of 1 Famed, 5 Rares, or 12 commons.

1 Rare is the cost of 1 Rare or 12 commons, or 20 Crudes.

Or 1 Common costs 1 Common or 12 Crudes.

Just an idea, and those low trades would only be for new comers who may not have any good weapons. So you'd stock up and be able to trade them and help out the lower level guys. But gold could also be added to that to make a difference on how many of that item you can trade. Kind of like the bidding Crashalot and Delaine mentioned. But you could also make this more even by yes, trading based on Attack damage, or every weapon has a tier, something like Barracuda for a Famed is like a Legendary, so it's a tier 1 item that everyone would want, same with something like Rev Ram, it is a tier 1 item everyone wants, you take the items that are most famous and sought after or rare and those are tier 1 items, then you have tier 2, 3, 4 , and 5 times, Crude being tier 5, honestly SF being a tier 2 item, it's really not that hard to find, in TLOPO alone I've found almost a dozen now. Maybe even TLS, found 3 now. Now every other Legend is a tier 1. Make sense? Idk, just ideas, if we can get more ideas, maybe we can have a mix of the best and make that work, either way, I do want trading to be a thing and work properly.

Also should raise the good max again, cause it is pretty dang easy to max out 300K still, maybe 500? Another thing actually, maybe trading Mats too! Some like me are in need of mats where others are almost maxed out, I know a few friends who have tons and can't use em anymore. Maybe you can say "I'll trade this for mats as well.", I sure would! So you ask for what kind of mats you want, they can put an amount up to what they have, and you can trade, I have some Famed I'd gladly trade for Mats and Gold! I still need a lot of upgrading for my ships, and I only keep the best of the best when it comes to Famed, I have almost maxed out space of good Famed and some Legends and few Rares. Which also, if this happens, please add 1 more section for weapons and clothing? Running out of space because of how many weapons and cloths there are lol. Keep having to delete more good stuff. I know, not very relatable to the thread but would help and be very nice.
I don't think people are seeing the bigger peripheral picture here. Trading will happen, but with trading will come the need for storage. So if we get trading, which we will, perhaps more space is a given. In some capacity somewhere.

Adding features can never be done in a vacuum. There will be other features to go along with trading as well. Dev's always have to look at the whole picture in most cases to make something work.
But I don't agree with ANY limitations on trading, items or gold. Also, trading almost always comes or creates a need for auction type system as well.

First off I want to point out that the "No" comments are unhelpful and add literally nothing to this conversation. The thread was very clearly and openly started to encourage discussion and suggestions regarding the implementation of trading, which the staff have specifically stated they are looking for.

Now, I agree that legendaries should not be tradable on a player to player basis; honestly one of the only things keeping the game alive right now is looting for legendaries, and making them obtainable for nothing on a player to player trade greatly invalidates the effort that people have put in. I don't see the point of having them be so rare of a find if a feature is implemented that effectively removes all of the difficulty of obtaining one.

In regards to Jack's suggestion, the idea of a value-based trading system is definitely a possibility towards solving that problem, but difficult to balance, because it would require assigning an objective value to each item or rarity. The even bigger problem there is that with the exception of a few specific good Famed, the only truly valuable items in the game are Legendaries, and the rarity of finding them is statistically so much greater than you could reasonably account for in such a value-based system. For instance, I have been looting daily for months, and still have not gotten a single legendary besides Patron. On the other hand, I have easily gotten enough Famed items to fill both inventory slots many times over. In all honestly, the only way I can see a value-based system like this working is if it was only Legendary to Legendary, Famed to Famed, etc, but even then its difficult because some weapons in each class are objectively better and more valuable than others. Even trading Silver Freeze for Leviathans seems kind of foolish, though theyre both the same weapon grade.

I am in support of direct player to player trading, especially for things like clothes which I would rather see being able to be traded without a huge hassle, considering their solely aesthetic nature, but I agree with most people in this thread that want to have restrictions put on trading better weapons, and would personally like it if Legendaries were outright excluded from trades. It would still be an increase in general quality of life, but maintain the value and effort that looting entails.

I now support trading and thinks it's awesome!
So long as everything is fair game and balanced!

First off I want to point out that the "No" comments are unhelpful and add literally nothing to this conversation. The thread was very clearly and openly started to encourage discussion and suggestions regarding the implementation of trading, which the staff have specifically stated they are looking for.

Now, I agree that legendaries should not be tradable on a player to player basis; honestly one of the only things keeping the game alive right now is looting for legendaries, and making them obtainable for nothing on a player to player trade greatly invalidates the effort that people have put in. I don't see the point of having them be so rare of a find if a feature is implemented that effectively removes all of the difficulty of obtaining one.

In regards to Jack's suggestion, the idea of a value-based trading system is definitely a possibility towards solving that problem, but difficult to balance, because it would require assigning an objective value to each item or rarity. The even bigger problem there is that with the exception of a few specific good Famed, the only truly valuable items in the game are Legendaries, and the rarity of finding them is statistically so much greater than you could reasonably account for in such a value-based system. For instance, I have been looting daily for months, and still have not gotten a single legendary besides Patron. On the other hand, I have easily gotten enough Famed items to fill both inventory slots many times over. In all honestly, the only way I can see a value-based system like this working is if it was only Legendary to Legendary, Famed to Famed, etc, but even then its difficult because some weapons in each class are objectively better and more valuable than others. Even trading Silver Freeze for Leviathans seems kind of foolish, though theyre both the same weapon grade.

I am in support of direct player to player trading, especially for things like clothes which I would rather see being able to be traded without a huge hassle, considering their solely aesthetic nature, but I agree with most people in this thread that want to have restrictions put on trading better weapons, and would personally like it if Legendaries were outright excluded from trades. It would still be an increase in general quality of life, but maintain the value and effort that looting entails.

Don't worry about Eric's, he's my buddy, just a gag lol.

Don't worry about Eric's, he's my buddy, just a gag lol.
My "No" response is not a gag and yes, I agree that it contribute little to the conversation, two letters to be exact. I say this because I've seen so many of these threads and they all say the same things over and over and over, what more can be said? People have heard my and every other regular contributor's opinion on trading many times and if I wanted to review them I could look them up. If there is a new member that would like to voice their opinion on this they could easily comment on one of the many existing threads. There's never anything new in these things and I see them as a way for pro trading people to attempt to wear us nay sayers all down with a sea of spam. SO, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the games I've played have trading, I think it's just TLOPO's way of updating. I'm all for the trade. If people don't like it, they just don't have to trade.
I can put my foot in my mouth for suggesting, but maybe a pirate is only allowed to trade when reaching level 20 and so on, as that is when brights drop, and then bigger weapons come out as you level, etc.

Back