what are the advantages and disadvantages of war brig over a war frigate?

In terms of stats and physical profile there's no glaring weakness to either one. I went frigate because they're cooler looking, and those four front facing cannons make them an inescapable predator in SvS. The only option is to stand and fight.
:pirate ship:

I honestly like the look of the War Brig, but if you want firepower, the War Frigate is what you'll want.
But the Brig is my favorite, so that's my choice no matter what.

I have always sailed frigates till this go round. As far as stats the frigate has more cannons ( per wiki ) due to the 2 front facing cannons. This is great in some cases but if you are getting your side cannons into the game they can become useless quickly. As stated above they might help in SvS but I always go War Sloop here so that didn't sway my decision. The Brig has more broadsides so (22 to the frigates 20 ) that can be helpful in both SvS and plundering. Armor is near the same and cargo is an exact match.

Now my feeling. After driving the Brig I have to say I love it! It seems to be a bit more sports car to the frigates tank. It sails faster, turns quicker and I seem to be able to stay away from the enemies attacks much easier. With everything else being as close as it is I would go this way again in a heartbeat. The only drawback I see is that EVERY upgrade you make to the hull is more expensive. So for a full upgraded ship it is going to take longer and cost more to get there. I'm willing to make that sacrifice after driving one you just need to decide if you are. If you want to try and set up a time to test drive my ship if it would make the choice easier pm me. I know that it would have made my choice easier if I had driven both and seen how they work.

Edit: Just did the math a full cargo upgraded Brig is going to cost you 114,750 more gold and slightly more materials than a frigate ( That is with full sail upgrades also )

Last edited:
As an owner of a War frigate and not a war brig, I am inherently biased.
However, the war brig has a much tighter turn radius, or so I hear. This makes up for the lack of deck cannon firing angle. Turning radius is where it's at, if you can get guns on target quicker than your opponent, you win. BUT, assuming both guns ARE on target, the war frigate will win in a fight. That extra deck gun is a HUGE tide-turner, it's about 1000 damage (with a maxed cannon skill) of round shot every 2ish seconds. This is overwhelmingly better than the Brig's extra broadside.
This all gets FURTHER complicated if you plan to use the Copperhead upgrade. Suddenly, that extra broadside matters because it has a 15% chance to pump out and explosive round rather than a roundshot.

So in summary: Brig has better maneuverability as it's only REAL perk. Frigate has more deck gun firepower and firing angle (utility).
Unless for some reason your dream is Copperhead (for which you'd sacrifice lightning ammo XD), go war frigate. The extra maneuverability is outclassed by the frigate's extra deck gun firepower and the front chasers. The extra broadside of the brig is barely worth talking about.

That extra deck gun is a HUGE tide-turner, it's about 1000 damage (with a maxed cannon skill) of round shot every 2ish seconds. This is overwhelmingly better than the Brig's extra broadside.

Have to agree here if you can keep that front cannon in play it will do far more damage than your broadsides will every be capable of.

More of a what feels better when your behind the wheel issue really. I know people that swear by galleons, wouldn't own one to save my life.

I've never been a fan of the brig, even though it's a "jack-of-all-trades". It doesn't have a smooth turning radius and the canon positioning (broadsides as well as canonnering) is all wonky.

The Brig has an extra broadside cannon which makes it better as a captain of the ship, while others prefer the Frigate for power I see the Brig as the better option for DPS output at the expense of some armor. The forward cannons are situational.

The Brig has an extra broadside cannon which makes it better as a captain of the ship, while others prefer the Frigate for power I see the Brig as the better option for DPS output at the expense of some armor. The forward cannons are situational.
The inverse is true for war frigate. The DPS output of a fully manned war frigate is greater than a fully manned war brig. I could care less who bought what ship. I want to show that the war frigate is a better ship for public use.

True, the frigate is more practical and cheaper. I just like the skull and bones look on a brig, but you people may have talked me out of the beautiful brig into the Frigate. Like Nico Okarr said about his freighter in SWTOR- the same can be said for the frigate. "She's not pretty, but she's tough!"

Back