What Do You Use To Capture POTCO?

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
Ok, I'm very curious as to what everyone uses and open for suggestions as to which is the better and cheaper option.

I havent made any new POTCO vids in a while, and I'm wanting to of course make my annual Pirate Zombie Thriller. Wondering which program is better for sound/lag issues and which work well with Windows Movie Maker.

I have a new Alienware laptop that I have been using exclusively for POTCO and I'd like to use it to record and produce the vid. Problem is I need a capture program on it. The laptop came with Windows Live Movie Maker which I have become more familiar with after making several family dvds and videos of my oldest son's football games that I have posted on YouTube.

So... I'm all ears... or eyes seeing that I have to read this, lol. ;)

You are asking about the screen recorder, correct? Because you have decided to use the Windows Live Movie Maker for the video editing?

I don't want to pay much for things like this (that is not really where I allocate a lot of my time and energy to). So I just use Fraps. It works great. I was not happy with Camtasia, because it was not compatible with WLMM even though the file was saved in the same format (.avi).

I find that Fraps is the best, ONLY if you have the full version, otherwise there is a small watermark at the top of the screen and you can only record for 30 seconds. It gets very annoying peicing all those 30 second parts together. If you cannot get the full version my other recomendation would be bandicam. I believe you can record up to 30 min with a large watermark at the top. Both are pretty good quailty recording and also both have a FPS tracker thing. (which i find very useful)

I use Fraps to record my videos - you'll have to dish out $40 for the full version.

Keep in mind this does require a lot of memory and it will put a big workload on your GPU - but Alienware should definitely be able to handle it.

Back