Question Why did they remove the powerful ability from jack sparrow's blade?

Arr

Wanted Pirate
0FD9A542-3C9F-4DD7-A5FF-A4557342C864.jpeg

I saw this in the patch notes and it still doesn't quite make sense that the developers replaced powerful with captain's fury. Why exactly did they replace powerful with a break attack ability? I also don't know why the patch notes says that players wouldn't have noticed the difference in its removal because it wasn't functioning and I feel like someone is using that as an excuse to replace powerful with captain's fury.

My guess is that they thought powerful was too confusing for some, or that it just didn't really belong on a weapon that isn't a reward from a quest prior to the El Patron's Lost weapons update. In the end JSB did technically receive a buff since it replaced a broken skill with a break attack. Though I do wish that they gave it a weapon skill version of captains fury rather than a break attack since break attacks are lame and take too long to charge.

My guess is that they thought powerful was too confusing for some, or that it just didn't really belong on a weapon that isn't a reward from a quest prior to the El Patron's Lost weapons update. In the end JSB did technically receive a buff since it replaced a broken skill with a break attack. Though I do wish that they gave it a weapon skill version of captains fury rather than a break attack since break attacks are lame and take too long to charge.
I thought powerful was fixed and yeah break attacks shouldn't really exist anymore.

I thought powerful was fixed and yeah break attacks shouldn't really exist anymore.
It was fixed with the same update that removed it from JSB. It was working on test and had gone through a couple different phases there I believe. The first of which had made it obscenely powerful, making JSB the most powerful weapon in the game behind grand pistol. Regardless, powerful was nerfed, fixed, and removed from JSB all in the same update to prod.

It was fixed with the same update that removed it from JSB. It was working on test and had gone through a couple different phases there I believe. The first of which had made it obscenely powerful, making JSB the most powerful weapon in the game behind grand pistol. Regardless, powerful was nerfed, fixed, and removed from JSB all in the same update to prod.

Couldn't have said it better myself. The weapon has gone through many a phase to remove it not only from obscurity with a very arbitrary and unresponsive weapon skills but from an absolute broken state as shown on Test due to obscene damage scaling. As of right now, the weapon seems to be in a better place, though:

Though I do wish that they gave it a weapon skill version of captains fury rather than a break attack since break attacks are lame and take too long to charge.

I will definitely keep this in mind if and when we eventually revisit the weapon. Break Attacks are unfortunately a little painful and charge times can be arduous. Thanks for the thread @Arr, I hope @Roger-Daniel was able to shed some light on the whole gradual changes to Jack Sparrow's Blade.

While I can't say I'm entirely happy with the state of the weapon at large, I do think it's definitely no longer a far cry to the quite frankly deserved power of a weapon utilized by our favorite protagonist.

Even though it comes from an objectively easy boss from the perspective of a high level player, I always wished that JSB was a lot better than it is currently. It seems like such an iconic sword of such a beloved character in the franchise, but most other cursed blades are superior, at least in the legendary category. It feels wrong for it to be not on par with other really good swords.

EDIT: Then again you can beat the game with a rusty cutlass.

So basically they fixed it and then for some reason decided to replace it even though powerful works properly now? That doesn't make sense but oh well.

Still a good weapon although it being one of my 3 legendary weapons it imo does not feel as good as it should. I do 100% understand not wanting it to be to powerful in terms of pvp also though. Not sure if that played into it or not but I would think so.

I agree it is a bit under powered atm for being a legendary I have sent feedback on it as well I hope there can be something done to add back some of the power along with not being to OP for PVP

Well, I hadn’t noticed this. After a short testing period after the nerf I have put the thing away and never looked at it again, that testing period said to me that it is on par with The Black Shark Blade and after it briefly being the most powerful one on one sword in the game it then became just a bitter memory to me. The addition of Captain’s Fury would be a small buff but, as has been pointed out, break attacks are not very powerful, you generally get more damage by not using them and continuing to get combos, so, this is more adding bells and whistles than an actual buff. I’d been waiting for powerful to work in the hope that JSB would then be more powerful but I see that is not to be. I do agree that Powerful being removed is a positive step, it’s just an attack buff and it makes much more sense to state the attack up front but JSB’s attack is lacking, should have been buffed when they removed Powerful. I do think break attacks have their place but they are not really what I would call a buff, they add uniqueness more than anything. I see no reason, based on this, its 3rd iteration, for me to get it out and actually use it, it’s still another Black Shark Blade to me.

Well, I hadn’t noticed this. After a short testing period after the nerf I have put the thing away and never looked at it again, that testing period said to me that it is on par with The Black Shark Blade and after it briefly being the most powerful one on one sword in the game it then became just a bitter memory to me. The addition of Captain’s Fury would be a small buff but, as has been pointed out, break attacks are not very powerful, you generally get more damage by not using them and continuing to get combos, so, this is more adding bells and whistles than an actual buff. I’d been waiting for powerful to work in the hope that JSB would then be more powerful but I see that is not to be. I do agree that Powerful being removed is a positive step, it’s just an attack buff and it makes much more sense to state the attack up front but JSB’s attack is lacking, should have been buffed when they removed Powerful. I do think break attacks have their place but they are not really what I would call a buff, they add uniqueness more than anything. I see no reason, based on this, its 3rd iteration, for me to get it out and actually use it, it’s still another Black Shark Blade to me.
it's attack really isn't lacking, it still beats out patron, devils claw and silver striker. It's not really all about damage, if it were than the only weapon you should be using is plaguefire blade since it beats every single legendary in the game, plus even with the working powerful it would not do much more damage. If they just took captains fury, gave it a special name and made it a weapon skill i think the sword would be perfect. anyway this might be going off topic

but most other cursed blades are superior, at least in the legendary category. It feels wrong for it to be not on par with other really good swords.

That was the initial argument specifically as to why the weapon was nerfed. (Mind you, this was nearly two years ago now, wow.) The weapon has had a rough past but overall it is most definitely better off now than it used to be. It's a far cry from a perfect legendary weapon, but steps in the right direction to give it its own unique feel is definitely the way this slight redesign was headed.

Again, as per my previous post (#5), Break Attacks are a bit painful I do agree, but at least as of currently it is on par if not generally better offensively than the likes of its other Legendary Cutlass counterparts. As a general idea in concept creation, a weapon that is generally more easily obtainable from an overall standpoint than another weapon should still be coveted, but not worthless, and definitely should not undermine the time and effort put forth to players who take the extra steps (in this case, Raven's Cove Quest) to obtain another weapon.

Far from perfect but it's making its way to being a lot better and more of a versatile playstyle.

it's currently a worse version of black shark blade, which is a famed obtainable from anywhere. The argument that it shouldn't be viable because it's obtained before the RC questline is null and void to me, considering how many great famed are obtainable prior anyways.

This argument generally falls flat due to how Legendary Weapons are developed in POTCO (and further, in TLOPO). Though do understand where the weapons shortcomings are in comparison to an absolute monster like BSB, it's the way weapons with a red text are treated in the game, and the general mentality behind them.

As @Eric Sailcutter stated in his post below yours, the weapon is still another Black Shark Blade, and that's understandable. The weapons perform similarly due to the general statistical similarities. Its power is generally low with the exclusion of Powerful on the weapon's hidden stat charts, which can be remedied. That's not a difficult issue.

The weapon itself definitely has a future ahead of it, and though it is in a generally better spot regarding the overall performance improvements are both a subjectively difficult and generally difficult conclusion to come to for a weapon due to where it sits in the game's scale of obtain-ability >/=/< viability.

EDIT: In response to @Arr, post #7.
"So basically they fixed it and then for some reason decided to replace it even though powerful works properly now? That doesn't make sense but oh well. "

> Post powerful-fixes tweaks absolutely BROKE the weapon in its entirety. Believe me when I say during testing the iterations of Jack Sparrow's Blade that continued to include Powerful post-tweaks were absolutely busted. The weapon was comparable, if not more horrifically unbalanced than Heart of Padres del Fuego during the POTCO days.

Powerful in general is a skill that should be kept on legacy weaponry. An invisible damage buff is fantastic when the weapon isn't doing anywhere near optimal damage under any circumstances, but that just wasn't the case during JSB. The weapon performs at legendary status (albeit walking the fine line) well enough in its current state that makes it much more worthwhile to obtain, and generally less of a joke weapon than it was in its previous state.

Last edited:
That was the initial argument specifically as to why the weapon was nerfed. (Mind you, this was nearly two years ago now, wow.) The weapon has had a rough past but overall it is most definitely better off now than it used to be. It's a far cry from a perfect legendary weapon, but steps in the right direction to give it its own unique feel is definitely the way this slight redesign was headed.

Again, as per my previous post (#5), Break Attacks are a bit painful I do agree, but at least as of currently it is on par if not generally better offensively than the likes of its other Legendary Cutlass counterparts. As a general idea in concept creation, a weapon that is generally more easily obtainable from an overall standpoint than another weapon should still be coveted, but not worthless, and definitely should not undermine the time and effort put forth to players who take the extra steps (in this case, Raven's Cove Quest) to obtain another weapon.

Far from perfect but it's making its way to being a lot better and more of a versatile playstyle.
Perhaps I am misinterpreting this but... the initial argument specifically in favor of the weapon being nerfed was that other cursed blades were better? that seems like making something not good, just worse.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting this but... the initial argument specifically in favor of the weapon being nerfed was that other cursed blades were better? that seems like making something not good, just worse.
The other argument was that jack sparrow's blade comes from dark hart and since dark hart is a easy boss to defeat the sword shouldn't be as powerful as it was. I think the developers really just want cursed blades to be the best swords that we can loot and maybe one day another set of blades/weapons will overtake the throne.

This argument generally falls flat due to how Legendary Weapons are developed in POTCO (and further, in TLOPO). Though do understand where the weapons shortcomings are in comparison to an absolute monster like BSB, it's the way weapons with a red text are treated in the game, and the general mentality behind them.

As @Eric Sailcutter stated in his post below yours, the weapon is still another Black Shark Blade, and that's understandable. The weapons perform similarly due to the general statistical similarities. Its power is generally low with the exclusion of Powerful on the weapon's hidden stat charts, which can be remedied. That's not a difficult issue.

The weapon itself definitely has a future ahead of it, and though it is in a generally better spot regarding the overall performance improvements are both a subjectively difficult and generally difficult conclusion to come to for a weapon due to where it sits in the game's scale of obtain-ability >/=/< viability.

EDIT: In response to @Arr, post #7.
"So basically they fixed it and then for some reason decided to replace it even though powerful works properly now? That doesn't make sense but oh well. "

> Post powerful-fixes tweaks absolutely BROKE the weapon in its entirety. Believe me when I say during testing the iterations of Jack Sparrow's Blade that continued to include Powerful post-tweaks were absolutely busted. The weapon was comparable, if not more horrifically unbalanced than Heart of Padres del Fuego during the POTCO days.

Powerful in general is a skill that should be kept on legacy weaponry. An invisible damage buff is fantastic when the weapon isn't doing anywhere near optimal damage under any circumstances, but that just wasn't the case during JSB. The weapon performs at legendary status (albeit walking the fine line) well enough in its current state that makes it much more worthwhile to obtain, and generally less of a joke weapon than it was in its previous state.
Thanks for the information, I guess I realize now combining powerful with critical strike isn't a good thing because of how overpowered the sword would be but I really can't see that many using the captain's fury ability because it's a break attack and also since captain's fury does damage to nearby enemies it doesn't really make sense to have it in a cutlass sword unlike a broadsword and that's probably why there's a couple broadsword cursed blades that have it.

Last edited:
Back