Idea Will the devs re-add The Ship of The Line?

While this would be...interesting and comical to see, I think it might have some problems (in my opinion.)

A. The sheer power of the SoTL dwarves that of the Galleon and Frigate. Perhaps the SoTL is a bit slower and much more expensive, but once a lot of players have a good setup and are simply collecting gold, SoTL's would become less scarce than one would think (time is a valuable commodity.)

B. If I remember correctly, the original SoTL in POTCO caused server problems when a lot of them spawned. While this might be less of an issue on modern servers with an updated game, it is a consideration.

C. Having the SoTL as a purchasable ship class would lower the novelty. I know such a thing was in the eye of the beholder, but one of the most hilarious things about the ship of the line was how OP it was and how people couldn't get it. That's what made it special and desirable when the test server in POTCO glitched and some lucky people grabbed it.

I don't disagree with you per se. Perhaps there could a be a time where the player mans a SoTL, but I think there are some balance, gameplay, technical, and other aspects to consider before simply making it available based off of its implementation and stats in the test server leak. More ship classes would be a nice addition, but the SoTL should go under serious evaluation due to its unique niche before a release.

While this would be...interesting and comical to see, I think it might have some problems (in my opinion.)

A. The sheer power of the SoTL dwarves that of the Galleon and Frigate. Perhaps the SoTL is a bit slower and much more expensive, but once a lot of players have a good setup and are simply collecting gold, SoTL's would become less scarce than one would think (time is a valuable commodity.)

B. If I remember correctly, the original SoTL in POTCO caused server problems when a lot of them spawned. While this might be less of an issue on modern servers with an updated game, it is a consideration.

C. Having the SoTL as a purchasable ship class would lower the novelty. I know such a thing was in the eye of the beholder, but one of the most hilarious things about the ship of the line was how OP it was and how people couldn't get it. That's what made it special and desirable when the test server in POTCO glitched and some lucky people grabbed it.

I don't disagree with you per se. Perhaps there could a be a time where the player mans a SoTL, but I think there are some balance, gameplay, technical, and other aspects to consider before simply making it available based off of its implementation and stats in the test server leak. More ship classes would be a nice addition, but the SoTL should go under serious evaluation due to its unique niche before a release.
Couldn't agree more. In games like these you need balance, and unfortunately the only way to make the SoTL fair is to severly "nerf" it, or to make another OP ship, in which case would completely be the end of the Frigate, Galleon, Sloop and Brig. Also, as Richard said, with time everybody will be able to get their hands on it. It would be cool, but in the end I think it would be beter to implement other ships, such as the Carrack (El Patron's Ship), or a ship like the Schooner. I love the idea of new content, but on this topic I would prefer not to have the SoTL. Any SoTL with very gunners is game over in SvS, and would ruin the difficulty of hunters and warships.

What if they had ship of the line but they were only able to be owned by the guild? This could maybe go in line with the advanced guild mentioned in another thread. Just thinking of ways they could be used but it would be more sporadic. Or maybe rented at the docks?

I think it would be cool if they added one temporarily for a Treasure Map Quest. Much like how we get to sail the Black Pearl for a brief amount of time, I think if they added a new Treasure Map where we gather a crew and commandeer a Ship of the Line and use it to take on a Fleet of enemy vessels. It would be a pretty epic fight to see one Pirate ship take on multiple enemies. It would give us the opportunity to sail the ship without having to worry about it being overpowered in the normal game.

Personally I would like to see more repeatable Treasure Map quests added. The Black Pearl mission is fun, and adding more content like that would go a long way since you can replay the mission over and over.

Back