Wind speed/wind direction?

Mikey Grogquaffer

Dockworker
How about a wind speed/wind direction dynamic for ship-to-ship combat? Would certainly make things more challenging... quite a bit slower, also, so maybe reduce the overall number of enemy ships on the high seas as it will take longer to defeat any of them.

How about a wind speed/wind direction dynamic for ship-to-ship combat? Would certainly make things more challenging... quite a bit slower, also, so maybe reduce the overall number of enemy ships on the high seas as it will take longer to defeat any of them.
I wonder what the coding requirements would be for this and would it be justified for the purpose mentioned.

I wonder what the coding requirements would be for this and would it be justified for the purpose mentioned.
It worked in the old Sid Meier's Pirates game. It would impact your overall cruising speed, and ability to maneuver in combat. Ship-to-ship actions would require much more tactical planning- whether to attack from upwind, when broadsides can be brought to bear, etc.

I wish sailing were more realistic in general. The very first time I sailed in this game, around when the original game was released, I was quite disappointed that ships didn't need crews to man their broadsides, that cannons could fire multiple shots before having to reload, and that we couldn't access the interiors of the ships even though some of the ship types have castles, windows, and balconies, and all of them have broadside cannons beneath the top deck.

But anyway, I definitely support such a mechanic as the one you suggest.

Back