Revive Pirates of the Caribbean Online

Honestly I'm sorry If do offend people, these are just my opinions. I really don't want people to be divided. Again, I'm sorry for what ever I have done to anyone here. It just bugs me, when I post an opinion I get "attacked" and then I look like the bad guy for posting my opinion. (which I NEVER did imply hacking) I meant starting a Kickstarter. Bart I don't know why you feel the need to make a big post about hacking when I already said I wasn't implying hacking. The amount of division in the forum is way too much. I'm sorry for stating my opinions. I want everyone to get along, I really do. That won't happen though, because every single time I post something about this petition I get attacked and I end up looking like the bad guy.

Now, it seems like everyone dislikes the idea of a Kickstarter. I was just stating that might work. Again, I'm sorry for being mean.

Honestly I'm sorry If do offend people, these are just my opinions. I really don't want people to be divided. Again, I'm sorry for what ever I have done to anyone here. It just bugs me, when I post an opinion I get "attacked" and then I look like the bad guy for posting my opinion. (which I NEVER did imply hacking) I meant starting a Kickstarter. Bart I don't know why you feel the need to make a big post about hacking when I already said I wasn't implying hacking. The amount of division in the forum is way too much. I'm sorry for stating my opinions. I want everyone to get along, I really do. That won't happen though, because every single time I post something about this petition I get attacked and I end up looking like the bad guy.

Now, it seems like everyone dislikes the idea of a Kickstarter. I was just stating that might work. Again, I'm sorry for being mean.

I usually put alot of time into writing my posts here, I rewrote that last post about 5 times as I do with most. I do this so that I get my point across in the best way possible. After I post my thoughts I go through one last time to correct anything I missed. By the time I'm finally done many people have posted before me. I read through those posts and saw Shamus's post and your reply. I was going to edit my post at the bottom so that I acomidated for that. However my 5 minutes for editing posts was up and I do not like, even with the new merging posts feature, posting back to back.

Sorry, I really am. I did not pickup on the fact that you were still talking about a kickstarter. And by the way I do like the idea of a kickstarter, however I do not think DIMG would accept the donations.

Someone should start a kickstarter. Not to be mean or offend anyone, but this hasn't been that successful the way it is unfolding. I mean, that's a great feat, 3000 signatures. Congrats on that! But, POTCO obviously has chosen to ignore the voices of people wanting a better game. If I were in charge of this; I would probably start a Kickstarter. They can't refuse people giving them money. They can refuse people just asking for a better game. Just an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

And by the way I do like the idea of a kickstarter, however I do not think DIMG would accept the donations.

Even if they did accept the donations, most companies have various policies in place to deal with incoming donations. The most common one I've read into, is that the money goes into a "general fund" that gets evenly distributed across the company. So, even if we donated enough money to adequately fund the game for years, there would be NO way to ensure the money goes to Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online.

In plain man's terms, if you send us any ideas, etc... and we use them, you don't get any credit. Its just a statement they put in so if they do use an idea, you can't sue them for using it, because by sending it into them you gave up your rights to it.
Aye. But I had thought also that donations were included. Now after reading it again, it looks as if I had likely misinterpreted the terms (at least within the 'submissions' section of the page).
So, even if we donated enough money to adequately fund the game for years, there would be NO way to ensure the money goes to Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online.
Perhaps if the petition had begun possibly a half a year to a full year earlier, such funds adequately acquired may have resulted in much of the money diverted to POTCO. *However, knowing today how things have evolved within DIMG, I really don't know what they would do if money was given to them to revive the game.

For one thing, I sense that much of the personnel whom sympathized towards DIMG virtual, online worlds (including POTCO) are not physically available now to adequately defend and support players' requests. Much of the focus within DIMG has changed (that I have noticed in researching the division and corporate Disney in general, this entire time).
I for one, am glad you brought it up, as it is an idea that has never been considered before. I just have this feeling that perhaps in doing so, any idea of a donation would receive heck from both fronts; Disney and POTCO players.
  • Disney, because their drive/focus is so single-mindedly focused on Disney Infinity, mobile, and social gaming that any donation/kickstarter effort would have to shout very LOUDLY :excited: for them to even turn their head to take notice
  • POTCO players, because knowing what many of them know now about Disney/DIMG (i.e., their lack of acknowledgement towards the concerns of their customers) I would assume that many POTCO players would have a difficult time handing over their money to Disney (whom is doing quite well financially, expanding it's efforts to 'Infinity and beyond') but yet whom has turned it's back upon it's already established player-base over these many years
This is just my opinion. *However, let us please keep brainstorming ideas, as this is what this forums is based upon. ;)

Aye. But I had thought also that donations were included. Now after reading it again, it looks as if I had likely misinterpreted the terms (at least within the 'submissions' section of the page).

Perhaps if the petition had begun possibly a half a year to a full year earlier, such funds adequately acquired may have resulted in much of the money diverted to POTCO. *However, knowing today how things have evolved within DIMG, I really don't know what they would do if money was given to them to revive the game.

For one thing, I sense that much of the personnel whom sympathized towards DIMG virtual, online worlds (including POTCO) are not physically available now to adequately defend and support players' requests. Much of the focus within DIMG has changed (that I have noticed in researching the division and corporate Disney in general, this entire time).
I for one, am glad you brought it up, as it is an idea that has never been considered before. I just have this feeling that perhaps in doing so, any idea of a donation would receive heck from both fronts; Disney and POTCO players.
  • Disney, because their drive/focus is so single-mindedly focused on Disney Infinity, mobile, and social gaming that any donation/kickstarter effort would have to shout very LOUDLY :excited: for them to even turn their head to take notice
  • POTCO players, because knowing what many of them know now about Disney/DIMG (i.e., their lack of acknowledgement towards the concerns of their customers) I would assume that many POTCO players would have a difficult time handing over their money to Disney (whom is doing quite well financially, expanding it's efforts to 'Infinity and beyond') but yet whom has turned it's back upon it's already established player-base over these many years
This is just my opinion. *However, let us please keep brainstorming ideas, as this is what this forums is based upon. ;)
I would donate if I knew Disney would actually improve the game but in truth they have been collecting our unlimited membership fees with no new content added in years, just bare minimum game maintenance and almost non existent customer service....
I would donate if I knew Disney would actually improve the game but in truth they have been collecting our unlimited membership fees with no new content added in years, just bare minimum game maintenance and almost non existent customer service....
I'm going to open a little can of worms by saying this and I'm really not a huge proponent of mobile gaming but since Disney is focusing more on mobile gaming apps maybe if we donated $ towards a POTCO mobile app that links up to the live game that could bring new and old players back to POTCO as well as make $$ for selling the app. The current POTC mobile app is so boring and the older mobile game that linked up to our potco accounts was not really fun, just repetitive. A POTCO mobile app could be a way to revamp POTCO's membership by pulling in people who mainly play mobile apps on their phones to discover POTCO thereby increasing membership #'s......

Last edited by a moderator:
...maybe if we donated $ towards a POTCO mobile app that links up to the live game that could bring new and old players back to POTCO as well as make $$ for selling the app. The current POTC mobile app is so boring and the older mobile game that linked up to our potco accounts was not really fun, just repetitive. A POTCO mobile app could be a way to revamp POTCO's membership by pulling in people who mainly play mobile apps on their phones to discover POTCO thereby increasing membership #'s......
I think you reiterated a point that I had heard someone question before and that is, does the current platform for POTCO pose the greatest threat to it's future?

Much like yourself, I am not much of a proponent for mobile gaming either but, if this is the only way to gain Disney's attention (and have them respond), I wonder if we should be more open to the idea of mentioning to Disney that a mobile POTCO (different from 'Master of the Seas') would better slake their lust for an increase in market share and profit margins within DIMG? :confused:

Whichever way you feel as a gamer about mobile gaming, what little I do understand about MMORPG platforms is that many seem to be struggling now comparable with mobile and social games. However, while Disney has sworn up and down against "console" gaming efforts in the past, it is funny to me now that console games seem to be their agenda and focus (which proves to me that they are 'finicky' and change their position from one trend to the next). This video pretty much sums up the whole Disney "response" received thus far towards a revived POTCO (no offense to J. Depp).

(Feel free to use the video if it would help your plea for a better POTCO).

Last edited by a moderator:
"Hey, Disney, what are you gonna do about the petition for POTCO?"

Disney:

40166196.jpg

The petition is almost a year old now right? And there has been no official reaction by DIMG. It was such a great endeavor by the Revive Potco admins but at this point it seems there won't be anything new added to the game other than the occasional bare minimum maintenance by DIMG. :facepalm::mad::(

True, but we'll just have to keep on trying. After all, you never know if Disney will budge or not.

As they always say, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again". Or in Disney's case, try as many times as there are bottles of rum on the wall.

The petition is almost a year old now right? And there has been no official reaction by DIMG. It was such a great endeavor by the Revive Potco admins but at this point it seems there won't be anything new added to the game other than the occasional bare minimum maintenance by DIMG. :facepalm::mad::(
I would have to be an absolute and complete "idiot" to think (this entire time) that everything we sought out as POTCO players toward RP would turn out positively. In truth, it hasn't. *I would also have to be a noob and an idiot to think (blindly) that RP will in fact succeed. Again in truth, it hasn't ... yet.

Believe you me, there have been multiple times as a petition organizer I have asked the question, "What the heck arrrr you doing? Why continue on despite the fact that Disney has refused to acknowledge everyone's concerns and everyone's hopes?" (I will be truthful here. Those thoughts do out number the positive thoughts). However...
...as long as the fight of the pirate :flag1:remains within me, I will not concede defeat as a player whom will continue to believe that POTCO is worth fighting for. For myself, this goes for RP and this also goes for protecting the game from those whom seek to damage and to bring harm and destruction, to it. In conclusion, I do hope that this message (from the video included below) speaks volumes towards my own philosophy towards a "Revived" POTCO.

Whether you enjoy the video below or not, at least do me the favor to "listen" to the message presented and choose to decipher for yourself whether POTCO is worth this RP effort or not (my apologies 'beforehand' for a controversial word or two).

I would have to be an absolute and complete "idiot" to think (this entire time) that everything we sought out as POTCO players toward RP would turn out positively. In truth, it hasn't. *I would also have to be a noob and an idiot to think (blindly) that RP will in fact succeed. Again in truth, it hasn't ... yet.

Believe you me, there have been multiple times as a petition organizer I have asked the question, "What the heck arrrr you doing? Why continue on despite the fact that Disney has refused to acknowledge everyone's concerns and everyone's hopes?" (I will be truthful here. Those thoughts do out number the positive thoughts). However...
...as long as the fight of the pirate :flag1:remains within me, I will not concede defeat as a player whom will continue to believe that POTCO is worth fighting for. For myself, this goes for RP and this also goes for protecting the game from those whom seek to damage and to bring harm and destruction, to it. In conclusion, I do hope that this message (from the video included below) speaks volumes towards my own philosophy towards a "Revived" POTCO.

Whether you enjoy the video below or not, at least do me the favor to "listen" to the message presented and choose to decipher for yourself whether POTCO is worth this RP effort or not (my apologies 'beforehand' for a controversial word or two).

I definitely agree with you Shamus, the game is worth fighting for and I'll keep renewing my unlimited membership as long as the game exists with the hopes that with 2 more POTC movies being made there will eventually be new content added as tie ins with the game. My hope is also that maybe just maybe.... POTCO development team will suddenly add new content simply on the merit of offering new content to it's customers.

WOW. It has been a VERY long time since I have made a post on this site.

I decided spontaneously to check this site and found my way to this thread. It seems worth a reply.

Despite the fact that I have stopped playing the game, I still eye the various forums like a hawk. I had signed the petition way back before I stopped playing (almost a year and a half ago), along with many of my friends and guildmates. I originally had quite a bit of optimism for it, although to be honest, it has diminished substantially as time has gone on. I will; however, say that despite the fact that POTCO has gone very downhill, I have retained a tiny sliver of hope for the petition and the game. So small, that I sometimes believe that it is extinguished. Then, I remember that I played this game for almost five years, and I realize it is impossible for me to completely give up on this game. I have played numerous MMOs and online games at this point. None of them stuck with me like POTCO did. This game was different for me. Saying how would take an entire book.

Emotional thoughts aside, I'll get to the petition itself. I'll be brutally honest (although my reasoning may be flawed. Do correct me if I'm wrong). I don't strongly believe that in game events are going to do very much to boost the cause of RP (i.e., giant fleets, blockades, striking outside of the Faithful Bride, etc.). While it gets attention among the players, I don't believe that is the attention that we need right now. The ideas I have heard that I DO like are ones where POTCO would be forced to notice. Mass emails may get the attention of the tech support team there, but they would need to be organized in a way such that it doesn't look too organized. It would need to actually look as if large numbers of players were upset and authentically complaining, rather than an organized protest of sorts. Otherwise, the emails would be ignored as POTCO's team mutters, "Oh... its probably just them again." Perhaps this could be done by spreading the emails out over several days. Even then, there's no guarantee it would work.

The other option would be to wait to see what happens with Infinity before planning anything big. To be quite honest, I think that this may be the better option. While I agree that we have been patient for long enough, we may see some changes occur after Disney's big project is released. Perhaps after Infinity is released, some attention may be turned back to other games that have been neglected during its development. Of course, the opposite is just as likely. If Infinity turns out to be a bust, then we may see Disney return its attention to existing games (i.e. Toontown and POTCO). Of course, by the time Infinity establishes itself, it may be too late to do much of anything, depending on how strong it is.

To conclude this ridiculously long post, I don't think that this petition, nor the game, is through just yet. I think that waiting just a bit longer to see what happens with Infinity may be the best way to go. Maybe things will get better, maybe they won't. Either way, I will continue to back RP, and keep just a little bit of hope for the game. I don't devote years of my life to something, even a game, just to not care for it in its time of need.

Shortened post for convenience.

Davy Fireskull...posting? :excited:

In all seriousness, though, I agree. Depending on how people receive Infinity, we might see Disney turn their heads back our way. I also sort of retain a sliver of hope. (I never go online, but I keep my UA in case something happens.)

What I really think we need to do is, send mass numbers of SUGGESTIONS to POTCO. We all know Disney loves money, and if they implement new GOOD features, they'll obviously attract more money. That said, we might not even see another update from Disney until the new POTC movie. I've heard that Disney has been showing the first three POTC movies on one of their channels so maybe that might spark some interest in POTCO inside some new audiences. (I can't say for sure, being that Disney refuses to advertise any game other than Club Penguin or Infinity. :mad:)

The other option would be to wait to see what happens with Infinity before planning anything big. To be quite honest, I think that this may be the better option. While I agree that we have been patient for long enough, we may see some changes occur after Disney's big project is released. Perhaps after Infinity is released, some attention may be turned back to other games that have been neglected during its development. Of course, the opposite is just as likely. If Infinity turns out to be a bust, then we may see Disney return its attention to existing games (i.e. Toontown and POTCO). Of course, by the time Infinity establishes itself, it may be too late to do much of anything, depending on how strong it is.
Your guess is as good as mine on this (the bold text) :confused:.

From the research I have been doing this past year on Disney I have come to an understanding of certain "patterns" the corporation resolves to take once they feel cornered to where an important decision must be made pertaining to a lagging business unit and/or division they do possess and have control over. However, Disney has proven to be unpredictable to put it mildly. A good example is what had happened to ESPN (the television 'sports' channel proudly owned by Disney). Despite the channel grossing the highest profit margins for the company and, as a result, considered THE TOP Disney owned unit, CEO - Robert Iger - still ordered the elimination of some 400 ESPN jobs a few months ago to combat some of the channel's overhead and "un-producing" qualities. :rolleyes:
So, if ESPN is not entirely off the hook :swashbuckler: from Disney's obsession towards cutbacks and lean efforts, nobody is including Disney Interactive Media Group (DIMG) which is responsible for both POTCO and Disney Infinity.

DISNEY INFINITY (D.I.)

*An important thing to remember about Disney Infinity (D.I.) is that the concept and idea of the game has been in development for 10 years! According to this article, Avalanche Software CEO - John Blackburn - decided to pitch the idea to Pixar's John Lasseter. Since Disney's now owns Pixar, Lasseter has been responsible for much of the support given to D.I. and, from what we know, what Lasseter wants - Lasseter gets. :rolleyes: Once Lasseter was onboard with the idea, Blackburn then attempted to convince Robert Iger.

Information acquired recently over the internet is showing that D.I. may apparently be given sole licensing rights for all Disney movies and themed-park events. What does this mean? Well according to this article, any future movie concepts, idea, and/or characters which are developed by Disney will likely be incorporate into the D.I. platform, according to developer - John Day. And I quote:
“We already use Infinity to support films and even events at the theme parks. That is part of Infinity’s purpose.”
However, a Disney representative is quoted in updating this breaking development by stating the following quote from this article:
"Disney Infinity is designed as a platform that will grow over the years with content from some of our biggest franchises, but not every new gaming experience will appear on the platform.

"Our internal console development resources will focus on Disney Infinity, but we will evaluate each IP and determine whether it is a fit for Disney Infinity or if consumers would have a better experience with it as a standalone game."
So really, who the heck knows (shrugs). :confused:

What I do know is that D.I. will revolutionize Disney Interactive in such a way which is not to be taken lightly in consideration to the reviving of POTCO.

I hope the game gets updates. I would like to see some small updates if anything. Knowing Disney though there will probably be a StarWars game and the interests will be shifted to that.

Knowing Disney though there will probably be a StarWars game and the interests will be shifted to that.
Nope, the way it stands at this moment in time:

EA has exclusive development of Star Wars games for consoles and MMOs. This means Bioware will keep developing Star Wars The Old Republic and other developers such as DICE, will develop Console games.

Disney still has the rights to develop mobile Star Wars games, so expect something on your phone, but them developing another Star Wars game... not likely.

Nope, the way it stands at this moment in time:

EA has exclusive development of Star Wars games for consoles and MMOs. This means Bioware will keep developing Star Wars The Old Republic and other developers such as DICE, will develop Console games.

Disney still has the rights to develop mobile Star Wars games, so expect something on your phone, but them developing another Star Wars game... not likely.

Awesome! At the same time, it kinda sucks that I was just about to write something about Star Wars MMO. Lets hope you are right and they don't make anything. I will be happy if they shift there attention back to POTCO. ;)

We just need another movie made and more funding for the game! :bang::cool:

Back