Rime of the Pirate King! A work in progress

This is a work in progress shot of a 13" x 19" poster that I'm drawing, taken from my Instagram account. The skull and accessories are scans of the final art, but the night sky and the signature block at the bottom are roughed in with a brush. I sometimes work like this to get a better idea of how to move forward without ruining the originals.

10903224_1551252635161110_1493405149_n.jpg

It was a lot of fun to create all of the nonsense going on with the hat. Right now I'm floundering in the area under the cravat and octopus brooch (The fighting ships didn't pan out so I'm working in another direction now). When I get done I'm about 95% certain that I'll be selling prints through a Kickstarter in order to raise some tuition for grad school (I've decided to get an MFA in Illustration). I hope you scurvy lime-suckers enjoy the preview!

That is quite amazing! That must have taken ages, all those tiny details. Great job! I wish you luck in your kickstarter! Just an idea... you should check out deviantart as well, its a site for artists and people who love art. You can sell prints on there as well. I'm not sure how much the profit margin is but its worth checking out I suppose.

Great Scott man you sir have a talent and skill. It honestly reminds me of my grandfathers employment. Back in the day when there weren't many fancy computers my grandfather carved life sized clay models of automobiles for Chrysler for the engineers as a reference model or something. He had such a talent that I have in my blood but never have explored too much. Thank you for reminding me of my grandfather good sir.

That is quite amazing! That must have taken ages, all those tiny details. Great job! I wish you luck in your kickstarter! Just an idea... you should check out deviantart as well, its a site for artists and people who love art. You can sell prints on there as well. I'm not sure how much the profit margin is but its worth checking out I suppose.

Thank ye, Master Bart! I've tried Deviant a couple of times and it just never quite felt like a good fit. It would be nice not to have my store and my gallery and everything else on separate sites, but it works for me in its own way.

Great Scott man you sir have a talent and skill. It honestly reminds me of my grandfathers employment. Back in the day when there weren't many fancy computers my grandfather carved life sized clay models of automobiles for Chrysler for the engineers as a reference model or something. He had such a talent that I have in my blood but never have explored too much. Thank you for reminding me of my grandfather good sir.

Seriously? I've always been amazed at the talent of the old automotive sculptors. I hope you soon discover where that same wellspring flows within yourself!

Seriously? I've always been amazed at the talent of the old automotive sculptors. I hope you soon discover where that same wellspring flows within yourself!
It was incredible skill. He did sculpt and paint. I have o find a picture of this sculpture he did of the shoulders on up of a roman soldier. Its a shame he didn't live. They'd thought all the cancer was gone but they missed one cell and thats what killed him.

It was incredible skill. He did sculpt and paint. I have o find a picture of this sculpture he did of the shoulders on up of a roman soldier. Its a shame he didn't live. They'd thought all the cancer was gone but they missed one cell and thats what killed him.

I'd love to see some of his work! And pardon the French - but barnacles cancer. I drew an image of St. Peregrine a while back (patron saint of cancer patients), sadly inspired by a number of friend and family who were dealing with it directly and indirectly.

Back