Rule Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been mulling over this for a few weeks. More than a handful of people have spoken out against this change. Initially I believed we could keep a handle on it by making it optional and off by default (with suitable filter replacements for swear words), and by demonstrating through examples (which were bound to crop up) what is and isn't considered excessive. Many online discussion platforms and even online multiplayer games provide similar options, and have been mostly-successful and keeping things amicable between members.

That said, maybe I was being naive or overly optimistic. Given the feedback provided from community members and the shaky nature of discussions that have been so prevalent in the past month, I'm going to revert back to disallowing swearing entirely. The new rules will be amended accordingly.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

That's already covered, unless I'm missing something. That was actually the entire motivation behind the rule. Doxing is sharing someone's personal information without their consent.
Honestly, I think that's the best choice in this kind of situation.

It would be incredibly difficult to enforce what is defined as "too far" when there's a system that says "ok, you can do this, but only a little of it, too much will get you punished, but nobody knows what too much is."

:)

Last edited:
That said, maybe I was being naive or overly optimistic. Given the feedback provided from community members and the shaky nature of discussions that have been so prevalent in the past month, I'm going to revert back to disallowing swearing entirely. The new rules will be amended accordingly.

I agree with this decision, actually. The current state of the community has proved to be a little too tumultuous for my liking to allow such a drastic change. Plus, there's too much grey area which would complicate things for both members and moderators.

That's already covered, unless I'm missing something. That was actually the entire motivation behind the rule. Doxing is sharing someone's personal information without their consent.

I was thinking an explicit mention of DOXing - so that it is clear. It should also be disclosed that DOXing will not be tolerated and will likely result in a long/permanent ban.

I've been mulling over this for a few weeks. More than a handful of people have spoken out against this change. Initially I believed we could keep a handle on it by making it optional and off by default (with suitable filter replacements for swear words), and by demonstrating through examples (which were bound to crop up) what is and isn't considered excessive. Many online discussion platforms and even online multiplayer games provide similar options, and have been mostly-successful and keeping things amicable between members.

Can we still expect the new rules tomorrow or will they be delayed with the change to swearing?

Thank you! Even as a middle age kind of, adult...I don't want to hear all that either.

Hate to be a naysayer to a system that will probably be put in place anyway, especially since I seem to be the only one complaining. But I still think we shouldn't allow bad language in our chat systems at all. I play/played a game called Wizard101 (you may have heard of it, it's a sister game to Pirate101) and I think their chat system is ideal. They have menu chatters who can only say preset words or phrases (not my favorite feature of this system, and is not necessary IMO), they have text chatters who can say words that are whitelisted (this feature is for 13+ accounts), and they have open chatters who can say words that are not blacklisted (NSFW words, bad/dirty language in general - for 18+ accounts). I have never had any problem with this system and if this were still a discussion rather than an update I would fully support it.
No. I could never deal with that, it would ruin the whole game for everyone.

I agree with this decision, actually. The current state of the community has proved to be a little too tumultuous for my liking to allow such a drastic change. Plus, there's too much grey area which would complicate things for both members and moderators.

I was thinking an explicit mention of DOXing - so that it is clear. It should also be disclosed that DOXing will not be tolerated and will likely result in a long/permanent ban.
You hit the nail on the head with the "grey area"...

There are plenty of voice chat communications out there for adult content, so people can chat it up all they want. I say as long as we can communicate well in game chat, be able to at least chat about any content in game, things should be good. Personally I wouldn't want to be held responsible or contribute in any way if I was a Dev, if someone of any age, happen to release person info and some predator or psycho got a hold of it.

As a mother of three boys, one of which will graduate high school this year and will be gone....So...mother of one at least one boy who is totally hooked on computer gaming and programming. I can say that I appreciate some maturity. I know there will be some curse words or violence. I'm okay with that. My boys were raised knowing that even if they hear it, they are not allowed to throw those words at anyone else. Not all children are raised that way though. There is a place and even a time for adult chat, but I don't think that we should limit our numbers to just 18+ with what we say. They (sorry for those of you who are that younger age of 18ish) still don't need to be constantly exposed to words, ***uality, etc...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. AND let me just say this b/c I know this well. Why do we play or carry on in the forums? It's b/c we like to have friends. For some of us, RL has treated us hard and unkindly and here we can be whatever or whomever we want.
I hope I don't offend anyone, I'm not trying to. I just think that ....I know from personal experience, it's nice to escape from RL for a bit. And in most cases RL can suck. So why add the harsh curse words into the mix of the youth who will one day run our country?
Again, just my opinion...raising boys who will be husbands and fathers one day.

The Ts & Cs link doesn't work for me? I think swearing should continue to be banned completely. Is the more mature content for in-game or on Forums? I would be inclined to think it might be ok for Forums but not for in-game, people should be able to see everything that is said in-game if it is intended for them and everyone should see the garr if it is not up to code. Let's not forget that Disney could take a dim view of adding more mature content to their game. Really, the safest course of action would be to maintain a very Disney like approach to what is allowed and what is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back