Tip  Sailing Tips, Tricks, And More! For beginners and experts.

Was this information helpful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric Guneagle

Pirate Master
Alright, some people think of sailing as just buy any kind of ship, get out there, and start attacking random things and hope not to sink, but there is more to it. Sailing is actually like a whole other world. There are many things to know if you want to be a nemesis of the seas. Let's get started, shall we?
1. Ship Classes
As we all know, there are 9 types of ships and 3 classes. Every type of class has a different specialty. Each ship is much different than the other, and has certain capabilities.
Sloop (Good Things)- The sloop class is a great ship for scouting and fast travel. The sloop class makes it faster and easier to have crewmates change sides, for it is smaller and it takes less time to travel to other cannons. The sloop class is most commonly used in Privateering (SvS) The light sloop is very small and hard to hit, and can go under broadsides of bigger opponents. The regular sloop is the same thing as a war sloop, only smaller and has less cannons. The war sloop is great for svs because it can travel fast and has the most cannons in the sloop class.
Sloop (Bad Things)- The sloop class is bad for looting because it carries the least amount of cargo and has the weakest armor, therefore it is vulernable in battle.
Galleon (Good Things)- The galleon class is a great ship for looting and defense. The galleon class can hold the biggest amount of cargo, therefore it is the best ship for fast money and looting. The galleon class also has the best defense out of all the ships. If you put take cover on this ship, it is almost unstoppable. The galleon class also has the most broadsides. The light galleon, galleon, and war galleon are all the same ships, except each is bigger than the other and has more cannons. The galleon class is great for low levels because it's defense will enable them to survive longer.
Galleon (Bad Things)- The galleon class is uncommonly used in privateering because it is very big and easy to hit, like a moving brick wall. It's broadsides usually miss a lot in privateering. It is also very slow, so not good for traveling or getting away from attackers.
Frigate (Good Things)- The frigate class is great for battle and leveling up. The frigate class is a very good ship class, because it is used for everything. It has cannons everywhere.. In the front, the back, the sides, EVERYWHERE. The only spot it cant fire is behind, which is it's only weak spot. If you have a full crew, this ship dominates the sea. It also packs the most firepower, which makes the cannons more powerful. A war frigate's ramming speed also does the most damage (1800). This ship eliminates almost all health of a light sloop in one ram, for the light sloop class has 2400 health. This ship has good armor too, almost as much as a war galleon. This ship is also commonly used in privateering because of all of it's cannons. It is good for chasing because it has front cannons that can fire at the ship while you are chasing.
Frigate (Bad Things) This ship is hard to get because it costs the most money out of all ships (60,000 gold). It doesn't carry the most cargo, and it is not very fast.
There are ships that are too easy, or just way out of your boundaries. Then there are ships that are just right. They won't destroy your ship, and they give good reputation awards. Most people neglect the lv of a ship. Under the name of a ship, it will say what lv it is. For example:
Navy Vanguard
lv 17 galleon

If you are a lv around 17, this is a good match for you. They will give a decent cargo drop, and will give you decent reputation. If you have a ship like a frigate, and you have a high sailing lv like 15, you might want something harder. For example: You are lv 17 with a frigate, lv 14 sailing and lv 10 cannon. you might want something a tiny bit more difficult. Like these:
EITC Ironwall

lv 20 galleon
It all depends on what type of ship class you have and what your sea levels are.
If your health is on yellow or low green, it would be best to repair your ship manually. This is easier with crewmates. If your health is on low yellow or red, it would be better to port and repair, then head back out if you want to. If you are going to repair, make sure you are in a safe place. You do not want to repair in the middle of a circle of enemies. The best place to go repair is uncharted waters, where there are little to no enemies. When your health is full, don't think you are fully repaired. If you have any parts of your hull on fire, keep repairing, or the ships will own you again. When your hull is on fire, damage to your ship increases greatly.
The way to find great crewmates for battle is to search the islands for high lv people with high level cannons. I like to find people with at least lv 17 cannon. Explosive and fury are very good ammo. If you can't find anyone to join your crew, join an existing crew and ask if they can help you on your ship. Another great way to find a crew is to ask friends or your guild. Also try Ille De Etable De Porc on the Andaba server. Many expert gunners hang around there.
Round Shot (lv 1 cannon)- Round shot is by far the best ammo in the game. It reloads fast, it is infinite and free, so you don't run out, and it should be upgraded to rank five because it helps broadsides.
Chain Shot (lv 2 cannon)- Chain shot is also very useful ammo, becuase it does great damage to sails. When you break sails with chain shot, you get more reputation, and it stops ships from moving, so you can shoot it without worries from a distance.
Grape Shot (lv 4 cannon) - This ammo is useful for privateering, for it stuns people on the other ship. If the kraken ever comes out, this will be useful to stun it.
Firebrand ( lv 8 cannon)- Firebrand is a great ammo skill because it eats away at an enemies ship health little by little.
Thunderbolt (lv 12 cannon)- Thunderbolt is the second most useful ammo in the game. It doesn't take long to reload, and it shoots at a very far distance. It also does good damage.
Explosive (lv 17 cannon)- This ammo is very good for close-up combat. It does the most damage and breaks the hull of a ship easily. This ammo is the KILLER. Some enemies fire it, which is very harmful.
Fury (lv 20 cannon)- This ammo is useful because of its power. It fires three rounds and each hit does a lot of damage. Steer clear of enemies who have this ammo.

Grappling Hook (lv 1 cannon)- This ammo is only used to grapple onto a flagship. When defeating a flagship, shoot this into the green circles and it pulls the ship close to yours and you can board it. Shooting this at a ship that doesn't have green circles on it does no damage.
-Did you know that if you go to the top cannons of a war galleon, you can glitch through and fall below deck?
-Did you know that you can damage enemy ships with grenades? Throw them at the hull of a ship and you are your own cannon!
-Did you know that if you have two skill points on sailing, you can unlock any skill but leadership, no matter what lv you are! You need one skill point to update it and one skill point to unlock it.
-Did you know that you don't have to board a flagship to sink it? Just grapple and then don't board, just move the ship far enough so the grapple hook disconnects. You won't get any cargo by doing this though, but you will still get the rep.
Well, now you know as much as I do in sailing. Now do you see how much there is to sailing? Always remember that there is a whole new world out on the sea. Many people take sailing for granted. Sailing can be really fun if you put your mind to it!
Credits go to Eric Guneagle for this awesome guild. Be sure to check out Grenades Tips Tricks and More! For beginners and experts. Thank you so much for reading! I hope it helped! Please rate yes or no if this information was helpful or not. Tell me what guide I should do next, too!
~ Eric Guneagle. Sailing god ~

Wow, this is just amazing. The way you explain yourself is very good. I have read your stories (Caribbean Survivors and The Legend of Eric Guneagle) You have some great talent. You need to become an author someday. By the way, this was extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

Wow, this is just amazing. The way you explain yourself is very good. I have read your stories (Caribbean Survivors and The Legend of Eric Guneagle) You have some great talent. You need to become an author someday. By the way, this was extremely helpful. Thank you so much.
Wow.. thank you so much

Over all 10/10:)

Grape Shot (lv 4 cannon) - This ammo is useful for privateering, for it stuns people on the other ship. If the kraken ever comes out, this will be useful to stun it.

This is no longer exists. I don't think anyone should use skill points on grape because in privateering it doesn't stunt anyone for we cant see players on ships and i don't think the kraken is anywhere close to the game

Here are tips specifically for SvS - https://piratesforums.co/threads/privateering-tips.728/

Over all 10/10:)

This is no longer exists. I don't think anyone should use skill points on grape because in privateering it doesn't stunt anyone for we cant see players on ships and i don't think the kraken is anywhere close to the game

Here are tips specifically for SvS - https://piratesforums.co/threads/privateering-tips.728/
I took off my grape shot.. I do not use it. It is the worst ammo in the game

Great tips. My issue with sailing is how you go about actually sinking them. Could you possibly post a video of how to sail when sinking ships and such (eg. Best distance to get, sailing around them etc.)?

My sailing level is 30 but I can't open leadership skill yet , I tried retrain my skills but it doesn't work.Although I'm 30 at sailing level , why can't I unlock this?

Great tips, Eric! I LOVE sailing, and I could do away with any weapon (if I could) and just sail only. Sailing for riches that is, not for privateering.

My additional info:
#3. When to port
Our hulls could be all full and perfect, but our speed is not. We cannot go to the shipwright and have them fixed our ship. The only way to fix it is by repairing the ship ourselves. So there are cases where shipwright could not fix our ship even though we are willing to pay rather than do it ourselves (that's me!). And there is now around it; we just have to roll our sleeves and work/fix it ourselves on the ship.

#6. Did You Know ...
- Did you know that you can damage enemy ships with grenades? :D I have done that. But trust me, the rep is not a lot more than when we level grenades on land, in the right place. This is just for fun. Ideally we park our ship broadsides facing the enemy ship's bow or stern (to avoid getting attacked and taking too much damage), and we have to be very close to the enemy ship in order for our grenades to reach the enemy ships. Position our ship like that takes time already ... so it's not really worth it.

Great tips. My issue with sailing is how you go about actually sinking them. Could you possibly post a video of how to sail when sinking ships and such (eg. Best distance to get, sailing around them etc.)?

There is another thread for this recently, but of course a video helps. I'm a big fan of long range shots (for my gunners). But as a Capt, we can help our gunners if we position our ship correctly. I usually distance myself as far as my broadsides could reach (long enough, takes practice to know how far it is), because I want to start firing first with broadsides (use "Open Fire" command right on time). We can start in whatever position at the beginning of firing broadsides, but we have to be ready to move the position of our ship. Our broadsides should face the bow or stern of the enemy ships if possible. Against a frigate type of enemy, we want out broadsides to face the stern (back) of the enemy. Against a galleon type of enemy, we want our broadsides to face the bow (front) of the enemy. Those are their weakest spots. Usually the enemy ship will sail towards us closer and closer to our broadsides, and hopefully before it hits ours, it would be sunk first. Ideally, our gunner should shoot the masts and sail and take them down first, so that the enemy ship would stop moving towards us. But if that is not the case, and the enemy gets very close, we have to be ready to move away ... to give enough distance again, and to position the broadsides against the bow of the enemy again. And the process repeats.

When we sail around Padres and find ourselves in the middle of two enemy ships, try to position our ships where our gunners and broadsides could face both ships on left and right of ours. Sometimes we end up being in the middle of 3 enemy ships (like in the middle of a triagle) ... in this case we have to 'run' around and leave our disadvantage, and look for a position where we are away and face only two at a time. We can take care the third one after we are done with these two first.

I hardly ever do close combats on water (hardly use ramming speed), unless I am privateering or facing a bounty hunter. I only come closer and use ramming speed when the enemy ship's health has gone down to a minimum just to finish it off. And I'll make sure that my gunners are ready with the best ammo they have to finish the job.

I almost forgot ... (Mod could merge this post with my previous one, thank you ...)(Done M.M.)

Do not keep on moving your ship while you are just plundering (not battling in privateering or against bounty hunters). Our gunners need to have good, steady view of the enemy ships to shoot, and so do we to fire our broadsides. After we position our ship in the best place facing an enemy ship or two enemy ships, stop our vessel. Let the gunners get to work. It drives me crazy when I am a gunner on a public ship and the Capt keeps on moving the ship and it becomes hard to get a precision on shooting the enemies (that's why I don't like erratic style, ramming/close contact and ring-around-a-rosie kinds ...). However, as a Capt, we have to be ready and make a decision to move quickly when furies and firebrands are raining on us. Just maneuver away, find a good distance again, stop the vessel, and repeat the shooting in a calm manner. It's less stressful and fun that way! Even though it's good to have adrenalin rush running away from enemies' ammo rain every now and then. :)

great post, eric. all i can add is when ya get leveled a lite sloop or galleon is so much more fun. where were you when i was a young whipper snaper? great tips.:flag:

Back