Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sparky Wonderwolf

Site Founder
For years the Mona Lisa has been considered priceless and is a famous part of French culture much French art is in general. Featured in the Louvre in Paris, it was painted by artist inventor and insert here the rest of his titles, Leonardo da Vinci and was last valued at 100 Million dollars which if inflation is factored in it would be almost 1 Billion dollars. With such a large debt, France could possibly pay it off with selling some artwork though, it would be illegal for the time being. I found it interesting and thought I would share.

For myself, I would hate to see France lose much of it's artistic heritage just because the need for money was an issue.

Many such paintings are already considered "priceless" and I would hate to see the day when the super wealthy are capable of owning such treasure only to boast about it within their own private collection (as opposed to the rest of humanity to marvel at and to enjoy), aye?

299075_419903b7c416013b6309e81e8797217f_large.jpg

I agree with Shamus - you cannot sell off a national treasure at the risk of private collectors hiding it away. I'll also argue that it may be best in the long term to hold it as it generates tourism and merchandising dollars. To sell it would be on par with selling out an annuity for quick (and significantly less) money in the here and now.
The painting itself is history. (In my best Harrison Ford/'Indiana Jones' voice); "It belongs in a museum!" :)

Back