Should Disney just give up on pirates online?

Should Disney give up on pirates online?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they need to follow they footsteps of POTBS. They will rack millions if they did a revamp. Plus I don't give them any sympathy because they have been consistently strong at Wall Street, so why cut the Digital Media group if they are opening stores and getting a lot of money? Disney you have money and a lot, put more effort in your games.

Disney may have a lot of money, but they won't waste it on POTCO. They'd rather spend it on their TV, movies, and music. The world doesn't revolve around POTCO like most people think it does. It's a small moneymaker, not even comparable to their movies and shows which they'd much rather spend the money on. And also, it's not just money. It's time and skill.
And, Disney was never very good with games... Stick to television and radios, please, Disney... You're making a fool of yourselves.

Pirates online is a money maker for them (not as much as the parks) but i heard that the game pulled in 2 million in 09, and 4 mill in 2010 don't know how reliable it is but i wouldn't throw a stick at it :p
If they can pull an average of 3 million out of POTCO and still perform like this, that would be to greedy. Can you confirm where you go those numbers because they sound a little to high for POTCO. If it is true then it would truly mean that they have the money to make it better but don't want to.
Since Disney is a multi-billion (possibly even close to trillions, the Disney family is in the elite) dollar company, the millions aren't as important. Not saying they won't take the millions, but it's not that much to them. So, if they get rid of POTCO, it won't really affect them very much.
LoL, Their total assets are around 70 billion dollars with last years net income being about 4 to 5 billion. All money is important to a company. And millions is not a low number. Money adds up so everything in business maters when it comes to making money.

If they can pull an average of 3 million out of POTCO and still perform like this, that would be to greedy. Can you confirm where you go those numbers because they sound a little to high for POTCO. If it is true then it would truly mean that they have the money to make it better but don't want to.

LoL, Their total assets are around 70 billion dollars with last years net income being about 4 to 5 billion. All money is important to a company. And millions is not a low number. Money adds up so everything in business maters when it comes to making money.
Leo I don't think you know how much disney brings in an hour. Living in FL, disney runs just about everything in orlando. Since the parks here are at 100% attendance most of the year they bring in a wopping 25 mill an hour ( with disney land and world) I can confirm these park numbers because FL is a public record state. During christmas the parks bring in about 2 - 3 Billion dollars in the day (including all: disney europe, paris, japan, Land, and world including all their hotels excluding resturaunts. This is ALL excluding disneys beautiful cruise line. Not trying to prove you wrong but disney brings in those numbers alot quicker then one would think. The Disney empire is just The Disney Empire to this whole thread disney DOES NOT like to loose money and every single piece of copper in that penny in you're hand is counted for. Disney could make it's own country and let me tell you those doors on the block would never lock. The money they pull out of potco is not in the single mills potco brings in if i had to guess well into the teens. I take back the 2 - 3 million. Disney is just DISNEY.

Leo I don't think you know how much disney brings in an hour. Living in FL, disney runs just about everything in orlando. Since the parks here are at 100% attendance most of the year they bring in a wopping 25 mill an hour ( with disney land and world) I can confirm these park numbers because FL is a public record state. During christmas the parks bring in about 2 - 3 Billion dollars in the day (including all: disney europe, paris, japan, Land, and world including all their hotels excluding resturaunts. This is ALL excluding disneys beautiful cruise line. Not trying to prove you wrong but disney brings in those numbers alot quicker then one would think. The Disney empire is just The Disney Empire to this whole thread disney DOES NOT like to loose money and every single piece of copper in that penny in you're hand is counted for. Disney could make it's own country and let me tell you those doors on the block would never lock. The money they pull out of potco is not in the single mills potco brings in if i had to guess well into the teens. I take back the 2 - 3 million. Disney is just DISNEY.
A little of topic but what i said were the the total assets of the entire Walt Disney Company. I don't know where you are getting 2-3 Billion dollars a day during Christmas. But the entire company is is worth about 70 billion. They are very big and rich but if they were to make that much money, than they would of reached trillions. Something the government would definitely not allow. The entire company has about 155 thousand workers to pay so keep that in mind as well. No company likes to lose money and same goes for POTCO. Even if they are not making no where near as much as other divisions, money is money. Check this source... It is published by Disney.
http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/quarterly_earnings/2010_q4.pdf

I check my sources lol

It takes around $10,000 to make an update in potco. If Disney is racking in an average of 3 mil a year, then they should have a lot of money set aside for potco. It would make it so they have enough money for a lot of updates throughout the year, with much left over. They just don't try hard enough. That's the problem.

Reactions: LEO
It takes around $10,000 to make an update in potco. If Disney is racking in an average of 3 mil a year, then they should have a lot of money set aside for potco. It would make it so they have enough money for a lot of updates throughout the year, with much left over. They just don't try hard enough. That's the problem.
Aye, that was my point but i don't think POTCO's income was ever published. So we can't really make assumptions on POTCO's income and expenses. If there is a legit document showing what they get and spent than it would make sense.

These figures are the gross income for the game. You know where that money goes?

- Advertising
-Rent for office they are located in, unless Disney-owned.
-Property Taxes
-Employee Salaries
-Necessary Equipment
-Maintaining Equipment
-Operating cost of the Equipment (ie electricity)

It also pays for all the tedious things as well. Cable in the break room? Pays for that too. Soda in the soda machine? That too.

Now say they have a lowly 10 employees. You know what the median salary in the industry is? 73,000 dollars. Thats 730,000. Of course the salaries range much more and they obviously have more than 10 employees, although it doesn't feel like it. A lot of money right there.

So using this imagined constant say they pulled in a healthy 3.5 million. 20% of that goes to salary right off the bat. And then you need to factor in all that other stuff, too. In this hypothetical situation of course.

Basically, I find it hard to believe this game can have a revenue over a million dollars. And rest assured any money it does make goes right into the total revenue and assets column stockholders such as myself look at, because after all, Disney's sole obligation is to make money and report it to its stockholders.

They just don't try hard enough. That's the problem.
They don't try hard enough? Well...yes & no. :confused:

"Yes," because they have rediversified their DIMG focus, energy, efforts, & money towards social & mobile gaming. I hate to just throw another article out there but, if you (& anyone else) have time...please read this article:

Within this January 2011 article, writer Jeff Peeters is quoted in saying:

"Is Disney being short-sighted here? We are talking about a HALF BILLION DOLLAR investment in a gaming space that frankly is still in its infancy and may not be fully understood yet. Social gaming, for all we know, could be a fad that flames out in a couple of years when all the casual gamers get tired of tending to their Farmville crops, etc. Or it could be here to stay, much to the chagrin of “core” gamers who see this style of gaming moving in on “their” territory and taking attention and resources away from potentially great console titles. If it’s here to stay, and Disney got in on the ground floor, then the division turns a profit, and relatively quickly. It’s a high risk-reward scenario, but when the status quo wasn’t working for them, can you really blame them for looking elsewhere?"

When you look objectively at Disney's efforts in this way, they arrrrrr trying "hard enough." Just only within specific areas. "No," because in my opinion, POTCO is not taken seriously by Disney within their gaming portfolio. *Like I have said before, I truly believe that POTCO is viewed basically like the scandalous cousin within the Disney "family" :party: of games. This is most evident in the fact that Club Penguin, for one, receives much of the attention & love. Hence, CP is their favorite legacy (as far as virtual online is concerned).

As a member of the Disney gaming "family," POTCO (generally) is ignored, spanked, or sent to it's room with no supper!

Last edited by a moderator:
We got to stop the comparisons of Club Penguin and POTCO...

POTCO never reached CP's size as a game. Their management crew was big before Disney acquired. So cant really be mad at CP or Marryfield for CP success and POTCO's fails but it's still DIMG's fault that POTCO is failing as a game...

We got to stop the comparisons of Club Penguin and POTCO...

...but it's still DIMG's fault that POTCO is failing as a game...

But, you have to ask yourself the tough question as to "why" they are failing. That is what I was getting at, & not to just slam Club Penguin.

But, you have to ask yourself the tough question as to "why" they are failing. That is what I was getting at, & not to just slam Club Penguin.
To me, it's become obvious 'why'... lol

I think same goes for you and a lot others... I have done a lot of criticizing and put a lot of effort hoping that Disney would look at it and change, but they just don't want change. Hopefully though, the petition will get through them.

Ps: I don't like CP... just said that bc even though I myself have compared it to potco, its becoming kind of useless just by looking at the heavy price Disney threw at CP to acquire it.

To answer this thread's question: "Should Disney just give up on POTCO?" Well, I am afraid that I can only answer with a "NO." Why - you may ask? Let me explain briefly & include my gaming testimony as well. :xbones:

To be clear, I have never been the type of person to show such a strong interest towards a game. This all changed the moment that I had seen a POTCO commercial air on television many years ago. Since that time, I have seen many changes within the game...most positive but, a few negative. *The point to be made is that I am here to stay.

IF Disney spoke to me face-to-face, I would probably have somewhat of a difficult time explaining why I enjoy this game so much. That difficulty has more to do with my own struggle in sometimes expressing to others how strongly I feel about supporting something. *What I do know is that POTCO will probably be the ONLY game that I will uphold a certain allegiance towards. (This is despite the fact that numerous other gaming environments exist out there which may be considered more mainstream or 'convenient'). :xbones:

In essence, being a pirate is absolutely "timeless." It is my hope that Disney understands this & considers the notion that POTCO is worth reviving . :xbones:

Reactions: LEO
Hmm, I don't think they should close it. From the replies im seeing here, i agree that Disney should rebuilt POTCO. I'm sure and hopefully they will.

Game problem wise ( that ive seen ) needs to be fix:

-bad glitches ( ex. god glitch, aim glitch in pvp )
-hacking ( cannon reload or broadside speed in svs )
-lag, skipping, npc jumping around
-delay ( MOST of the servers have very bad delays)
-skill failures ( leadership )

They shouldn't give up all they need to do is get out of retirement and update this game, bug fixes, lag fixes, and bring back this bright embellish vests! This game used to have like lag at all now I would like to see someone play for 1 hour without any lag.

They can't either. Not without selling partial rights of the movie franchises which Disney owns. So even if you would kike it to, it will never happen.

They need to find a way to stop hacking and the glitching if they fix that ill go back to potco as one of my favorite games.If they fix hacking and glitching ill go back to POTCOWho agrees

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back