3D Printing

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
Both my 16 yr old and 12 yr old are in the EAST Initiative and have both used 3D printers. This is my youngest son's first year in the program and his first time using a 3D printer.

I'm the coach for my youngest son's First Lego League Robotics team. For their project this year, they wanted to redesign some areas of their city park that are in need of serious fixes. The boys (it's a team of 3 boys) wanted to make a model of the park using an aerial photo of the city park with 3D models of the areas they are working on.

Here comes the dilemma... One of the areas they are adding to the city park is a Gaga Ball Pit. This is usually in a hexagon or octagon shape...
1574094250987.png

It's similar to dodge ball... Anyway, they are wanting to 3D print a hexagon, but my son is running into a problem with the printer. Each time he tries to print the shape, it seems to only print off one 'quadrant' of the hexagon. It will print an x axis, form the 'foot' of the outer wall with a corner, then print the y axis. The cropped area that is brighter is what is being printed each try:

So, we stop the print each time.

I don't know why it would only be trying to print off that quadrant of the hexagon. Does it have anything to do with how it's spliced and saved for the print?

I'm also learning as I go here, and only when I am actually up at the school with him when he is printing. If anyone here has any idea what could be going wrong, please let me know.

squintz

Pirate Lord
This may be a redundant question, but did the printer attempt to restart at those axis for the next level? Meaning you know that if you let it go it would just build that section of the wall? Depending on the printers I've observed, and I haven't run any actually, but I've seen them build in sections for some reason. Most what I've seen have been square and angled work so one couldn't tell where it stopped and started.
But from the looks of that, to not do a whole level seems illogical. Since it takes like 7 years to build one leggo block, I can see why you've stopped it.

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
Yes, each level built up would include increasing the x and y as well.

We're currently thinking that he may need to re-position the hexagon itself. We're thinking that the point where the x and y meet which would be (0,0) is the center of the hexagon, and that would explain why only one quadrant is being printed along with the x and y axis. Here is what I mean (this is a 3D print file I created myself on Tinkercad yesterday):

As you can see, the (0,0) is directly in the middle of the hexagon. I'm assuming that my son also saved the file much like I did and his is saving the same way. Which we're going to have to look at this file and see how we can possibly move it inside the x and y. Keep in mind this is just s theory, lol. I'm also learning as I go with him learning as he goes. He was successful in printing 4 mini basketball goals, about 3 inches high each. We may have to compare and contrast his hexagon file with the basketball goal file.

When we look at the hexagon and the proposed print, how the machine is suppose to 3D print it, it doesn't show any lines in the middle of the hexagon at all. It does show a 'foot' so to speak before it begins building up vertically around the whole hexagon when building up the walls.

I'll keep you posted on what happens when we re-position the hexagon in Tinkercad.

Kate Goldwalker

Fairy Tail Girl
So, update, if any of you are wondering...

Despite trying multiple times to print in the two different sized 3D printers, my son decided to print just 6 mitered walls to glue together. It has worked. Was a pain in the back side to glue together because he used a 60 degree angle.. probably should have done a 58-55 degree... but regardless the hexagon has been made.

This is for a model of their city park. The Robotics team has designed and come up with some plans to fix the city park and make it inclusive, handicap accessible. They have presented their project 3 times to the mayor, twice to the park and rec guy, and once in front of the whole city council. The city has decided to use some of the things/products/companies that the boys have found!

Anyway, I'll try to take a few pics of the things they 3D printed for their city park model and post them here.

squintz

Pirate Lord
So, update, if any of you are wondering...

Despite trying multiple times to print in the two different sized 3D printers, my son decided to print just 6 mitered walls to glue together. It has worked. Was a pain in the back side to glue together because he used a 60 degree angle.. probably should have done a 58-55 degree... but regardless the hexagon has been made.

This is for a model of their city park. The Robotics team has designed and come up with some plans to fix the city park and make it inclusive, handicap accessible. They have presented their project 3 times to the mayor, twice to the park and rec guy, and once in front of the whole city council. The city has decided to use some of the things/products/companies that the boys have found!

Anyway, I'll try to take a few pics of the things they 3D printed for their city park model and post them here.
Well, I'm glad you and your son figured out a way to do, without the printer doing it for you. This sounds like a great class learning project to try to figure and succeed in printing the hex the way you guys intended. The knowledge would certainly help in the future.
Grats to the team.