A Small Buff for Skull & Bones

Is my proposal reasonable? If yes, should it be implemented?

• Total voters

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
For a while now, skull & bones has suffered from being the "little brother" of the reinforced upgrade path.
What I propose is a very small buff to hopefully bring it up to being a viable option without overtuning.

1: Raise the armor for rank VI from 165% to 170% (130% for rank IV, and 150% for rank V, respectively)
For a ship with no advantages in the areas of speed and cargo, its armor is just a hair lower than what
it needs to be. Especially given the large gap in damage output compared to the copperhead.

2: Raise the fury chance from 50% to 60% (20% for rank IV, and 40% for rank V, respectively)
At first glance, you may think this is taking it too far. But you have to understand, even with this buff, it pales in comparison to the damage output of a copperhead of the same ship class. Despite having a haunted ram (and landing crits), just 2-3 explosives from a copperhead still does noticeably more.

Yes, overall the skull and bones upgrade is cheaper, and easier to acquire. That is the only reason I could somewhat concur with someone who thinks it doesn't need a buff -- the fact that it's relatively cheap. And that is precisely why the buff I have proposed is very small. Just like before, choosing skull and bones over copperhead is a sacrifice in raw power for extra utility, except the gap will no longer be so large that it's almost unanimously regarded as inferior.

Last edited:
Really? I always thought skull and bones was the most common upgrade in potco.

Well that doesn't surprise me. From an aesthetic point of view, it's most pirates' view of a cool looking ship. What I'm talking about has more to do with its stats and being outclassed by copperhead.

I always thought the skull and bones line was a little underpowered , the fury broadsides and armor just don't seem enough for the line. I think a 5% armor boost 5% fury chance boost and 5% speed boost is pretty fair.

It already gets a speed boost of 10%, meant to make up for the heavy armor weighing it down from the previous upgrade. I'd much rather throw 10% extra into broadsides and leave the speed alone. The values I gave make for a cleaner, more even stat growth for ranks 4-6. It's a tanky bruiser ship. It doesn't need more speed.

Also Gerhard, I'm afraid that argument doesn't apply unless you advocate the same for the copperhead.

It already gets a speed boost of 10%, meant to make up for the heavy armor weighing it down from the previous upgrade. I'd much rather throw 10% extra into broadsides and leave the speed alone. The values I gave make for a cleaner, more even stat growth for ranks 4-6. It's a tanky bruiser ship. It doesn't need more speed.

Also Gerhard, I'm afraid that argument doesn't apply unless you advocate the same for the copperhead.
S&b doesn't have a speed boost at all it only has turning.

So if the S&B is a bruiser it only lacks dmg, it is moderately fast, tank and its turn rate catch up with other upgrades, raising to 60% I guess it will be fine, more than this might outclass other upgrades since S&B is one of the cheaper upgrades

Back