A suggestion on graphic quality and game speed and storms

Samuel Gower

Swashbuckler
Graphics: the graphics in the old POTCO were pretty bad, so I suggest for the new one you guys can increase the graphic quality?
Game speed: honestly the loading screens whenever I played it would be slow just slow and I had a Mac back then so hopefully you make it so it isn't slow.
Storms: I think we should add storms that have waves in them to add effect to the game just a suggestion.
Thank you for your time.

Its not a bad idea, but I think we should wait to discuss this when the game is better than POTCO was.

Graphics: the graphics in the old POTCO were pretty bad, so I suggest for the new one you guys can increase the graphic quality?
Game speed: honestly the loading screens whenever I played it would be slow just slow and I had a Mac back then so hopefully you make it so it isn't slow.
Storms: I think we should add storms that have waves in them to add effect to the game just a suggestion.
Thank you for your time.
I like where you are going with better graphics and such but realize how much longer we would have to wait if they were to add sea's like that? Also they would have to redo the whole ocean, which I don't think they will. I would just keep it normal, if it aint broken don't fix it.

Last edited:
Graphics -- I don't think we'll see much of a change in that aspect. Many old players wish for the fan remake to be faithful to the original, texture clipping and all. We could eventually reach some sort of compromise though.

Game Speed -- The developers have been actively releasing alpha updates for code cleanup and optimizations. I'm sure they'd like the game to be as playable as they can make it. It's an old game though, based on an old engine which is based off of an odd choice of programming language (Python).

Storms -- As I shared in the thread for the old skies, rain was once a thing, it was never truly released though because it caused a lot of lag. I don't know how Assassin's Creed 4 managed it, but for TLOPO I highly doubt we'll ever see storm waves or rogue waves. Rainfall however may be reimplemented at a later time if it can be better optimized. I'd recommend reading the thread I mentioned a bit earlier.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/add-the-old-sky-texture-to-tlopo.11070/

And the post in question:
Mike Wass: "We do have the files for that, however the way it was implemented may change (if it would even be implemented at all)."

Graphics -- I don't think we'll see much of a change in that aspect. Many old players wish for the fan remake to be faithful to the original, texture clipping and all. We could eventually reach some sort of compromise though.

Game Speed -- The developers have been actively releasing alpha updates for code cleanup and optimizations. I'm sure they'd like the game to be as playable as they can make it. It's an old game though, based on an old engine which is based off of an odd choice of programming language (Python).

Storms -- As I shared in the thread for the old skies, rain was once a thing, it was never truly released though because it caused a lot of lag. I don't know how Assassin's Creed 4 managed it, but for TLOPO I highly doubt we'll ever see storm waves or rogue waves. Rainfall however may be reimplemented at a later time if it can be better optimized. I'd recommend reading the thread I mentioned a bit earlier.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/add-the-old-sky-texture-to-tlopo.11070/

And the post in question:
Mike Wass: "We do have the files for that, however the way it was implemented may change (if it would even be implemented at all)."
Agreed

I don't think it's very possible to increase the graphics and also the loading times.. it would definitely pose a challenge.

Thank you for your time.
Loading speed boils down to internet speed. Not much you will be able to do

In 2009, the POTCO devs implemented an update into the game, which effectively made everything have less polygons. Less polygons = less lag, but it also = less detail. The graphics were never super, but they sure did used to be a lot crisper and brighter than they were at the time of the game's closing. I'll post a comparison of the old and new pirate selection screens as an example. Take note of 3 main aspects on how the old is obviously superior to the new; 1 - the sky, 2 - the water, 3 - the character.

New/Current:
xlARSbT.jpg

Old:
R0H0OnY.jpg

So really, if "better graphics" were to be put in the game, I'd say it could be done by reverting the polygon changes the POTCO devs made.

In 2009, the POTCO devs implemented an update into the game, which effectively made everything have less polygons. Less polygons = less lag, but it also = less detail. The graphics were never super, but they sure did used to be a lot crisper and brighter than they were at the time of the game's closing. I'll post a comparison of the old and new pirate selection screens as an example. Take note of 3 main aspects on how the old is obviously superior to the new; 1 - the sky, 2 - the water, 3 - the character.

New/Current:
xlARSbT.jpg

Old:
R0H0OnY.jpg

So really, if "better graphics" were to be put in the game, I'd say it could be done by reverting the polygon changes the POTCO devs made.
You do know that would require remodelling the models, right? It's not something they can code, but something that someone would have to take their time and do. But if they found people who are willing to do that, and will have no affect on the programming aspect, I say go ahead.

You do know that would require remodelling the models, right? It's not something they can code, but something that someone would have to take their time and do. But if they found people who are willing to do that, and will have no affect on the programming aspect, I say go ahead.
Wouldn't it be like the islands, though? Where if they found the right log files, they would have all the models they need?

It depends. If they left the originals, all they have to do is pull them up. But the Disney devs could have written the new models over the old one, which would mean they would no longer exist.
Aye, I see what you're saying. I mean, if they still have the files, why not go for it? It would make the game just a tad nicer. But if they don't, I think I (and everyone) would much rather they work on putting the game back together rather than spend valuable time making models :p

I've heard that they have the models for all of the old islands and I think I've seen @Mike Wass post screenshots of himself using them.
If this is possible I would definitely love to see the caribbean looking brighter like that once again.
Also, they've already added an option in alpha to revert back to the old sky (although I can't seem to get it working)

Last edited:
I've heard that they have the models for all of the old islands and I think I've seen @Mike Wass post screenshots of himself using them.
If this is possible I would definitely love to see the caribbean looking brighter like that once again.
Also, they've already added an option in alpha to revert back to the old sky (although I can't seem to get it working)
I know for a fact that they have files for the old Tortuga, Port Royal, Murky Hollow, and Tormenta Cave. I'd bet they have files for more old caves, and maybe even for old Padres too.

New/Current:
xlARSbT.jpg

Old:
R0H0OnY.jpg

WOAH, I played at the beginning and at the end. I knew they had downgraded but since I was on a break when they did it I never noticed the difference. Excellent side by side comparison!

I've communicated with some of the mods and the IRC about this situation before. I asked if the community would be able to create such things as better graphics, shaders, etc. and I was met with "No, at least I don't think so as of yet." So, while it seems early to be planning any graphics overhauls, and I believe they will say it is ok after the release, I am planning on doing a few projects of my own.

New/Current:
xlARSbT.jpg

Old:
R0H0OnY.jpg

Actually looking at that, it really doesnt look like the models were changed at all, except for maybe the character model... But to me it looks very similar in poly count. The only thing that I see changed drastically is the skybox, water shaders, and the ambient lighting. From other screenshots I've seen texture mapping also has changed throughout the years of POTCO to be generally lower resolution for a given area. But I've never seen the models actually gain or decrease in poly count.

My input is to add a few things that would drastically increase the look of the game. All the while keeping performance the top most priority. These are probably suggestions for even after full release. FPS and stablity comes first.
  1. Antialiasing.
    • I'm pretty sure the base game has no Antialiasing at all and this would drastically increase the asthetic of far away things and get rid of those awful pixelated edges.
  2. Better texture mapping in some places.
    • Some places have such stretched textures that it is basically indistinguishable what you are looking at. One example is some of the dock edging on various docks. Some textures are facing the wrong way, so that their seams are so easily noticable, and some textures are just mapped so horribly that it is only 25% of the actual texture resolution in some areas. Its attrocious. Not that high of priority but it could be better.
  3. Better lighting (possibly)
    • This is probably one of the harder things to implement of the three, so I could see if it wasn't implemented. Dynamic shadows, slight bloom, etc. all things that would probably be impossible for this game but would be amazing.
  4. Leave higher resolution textures to texture pack makers.
    • The developers have confirmed the ability to have texture and sound packs in the future. Why waste development time on high res textures when the community can do that for themselves?

Back