Announcement Addressing "Naming and Shaming"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I hope everyone has been doing well as of late and enjoying the game. I'd like to address a topic that's come up recently and has been growing in "popularity," so to speak.

Over the course of a few weeks, it has been noted that there have been quite a few threads created with intent to "expose" particular players in TLOPO for partaking in acts of exploitation/cheating. These threads typically showcase the person's name accompanied with screenshots and discussion about them. In other words, one could call this "naming and shaming."

While it is great that the community is vigilant and takes an active stand against denouncing cheaters, this forum is not an appropriate outlet to do this sort of thing. I've said this before and I'll say it again: this is not the place to air others' dirty laundry. Plus, it's downright embarrassing for the other party, even though that party may be in clear violation of TLOPO Terms of Service.

For the record, all situations involving some sort of moderation - whether it be on Pirates Forums or on TLOPO - are always (and should always be) handled in private. Again, while I and the others appreciate that the community is on the lookout for cheaters, plastering their names and screenshots all over the forums is not an appropriate way to express that motive.

TLOPO already has a way to report cheaters in-game; use the offending player's "report" button on their player card and use the appropriate reason for the report. From there, TLOPO moderators will be able to review your report and investigate the situation. If you have screenshots or videos/gifs of the offending player, feel free to send an email to support@tlopo.com, and specify that the media is in regards to an active report. Please do not publicly shame anybody - use the appropriate outlets that have been set in place to address scenarios such as these.

With this being said, any threads that are created with intent to "name and shame" will be removed from the forums. They're not appropriate for forum discussion and are prime candidates for bickering/drama. Maintaining a friendly atmosphere is our goal here.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone. Feel free to message me or the other staff members with any concerns.

JFR

Agreed, while they deserve punishment for cheating I do not think humiliating them is the right kind of punishment for this kind of intended atmosphere.

Hey everyone,

I hope everyone has been doing well as of late and enjoying the game. I'd like to address a topic that's come up recently and has been growing in "popularity," so to speak.

Over the course of a few weeks, it has been noted that there have been quite a few threads created with intent to "expose" particular players in TLOPO for partaking in acts of exploitation/cheating. These threads typically showcase the person's name accompanied with screenshots and discussion about them. In other words, one could call this "naming and shaming."

While it is great that the community is vigilant and takes an active stand against denouncing cheaters, this forum is not an appropriate outlet to do this sort of thing. I've said this before and I'll say it again: this is not the place to air others' dirty laundry. Plus, it's downright embarrassing for the other party, even though that party may be in clear violation of TLOPO Terms of Service.

For the record, all situations involving some sort of moderation - whether it be on Pirates Forums or on TLOPO - are always (and should always be) handled in private. Again, while I and the others appreciate that the community is on the lookout for cheaters, plastering their names and screenshots all over the forums is not an appropriate way to express that motive.

TLOPO already has a way to report cheaters in-game; use the offending player's "report" button on their player card and use the appropriate reason for the report. From there, TLOPO moderators will be able to review your report and investigate the situation. If you have screenshots or videos/gifs of the offending player, feel free to send an email to support@tlopo.com, and specify that the media is in regards to an active report. Please do not publicly shame anybody - use the appropriate outlets that have been set in place to address scenarios such as these.

With this being said, any threads that are created with intent to "name and shame" will be removed from the forums. They're not appropriate for forum discussion and are prime candidates for bickering/drama. Maintaining a friendly atmosphere is our goal here.

Thanks for your understanding, everyone. Feel free to message me or the other staff members with any concerns.

JFR
I 99% agree to this regarding "Naming & Shaming". However, if the player is asking or trying to ask for someone's ACCOUNT. It is wise to share it with the whole community... - In terms of any other rule breaking/hacking, I would absolutely say let the staff/forums mods handle it. (Once again, just my input on the matter)

Enjoyed the trouble-making problem POTCO had? Neither did I. Therefore, no need to speak about it as a "new" community other than maybe other social-media avenues (which are not TLOPO-specific & harbors 'other project' supporters) because it's too politically-correct to call people out here for their wrong-doing.

While ignoring and/or avoiding the fact of not holding such people (publicly) accountable, its serves well the forums but it does nothing to prevent TLOPO in-game play from being taken advantage of, by trouble-makers. Even if they're banned from TLOPO, where else do you think they'll go to voice their angst? (If TLOPO and the forums are two separate entities, why then did a specific someone become administrator if there remains no affiliation)?

Thank you.
:)

So trouble-makers shouldn't face consequences? You cheat - you know you are not supposed to do that, you should face reality. A simple ban won't solve the problem, I find the decision of deleting such threads to be causing more problems than it solves. I would be glad if people were not so vanilla about it, but of course, this is not up to me.

While ignoring and/or avoiding the fact of not holding such people (publicly) accountable, its serves well the forums but it does nothing to prevent TLOPO in-game play from being taken advantage of, by trouble-makers.
And public shaming does? Unlike Disney (during the later years anyways), the TLOPO moderation team actively looks out for people exploiting the game and takes action against their accounts. I'm not sure what you imagine is necessary beyond that. People would just turn to new aliases under fear of public shaming, and that would just start witch hunts. No thanks.

Even if they're banned from TLOPO, where else do you think they'll go to voice their angst? (If TLOPO and the forums are two separate entities, why then did a specific someone become administrator if there remains no affiliation)?
I fail to see what people voicing their post-ban angst accomplishes. There does remain an affiliation and we've made no attempt to express otherwise. There can be an affiliation and a distinction, the two are not mutually exclusive... but I digress.

So trouble-makers shouldn't face consequences? You cheat - you know you are not supposed to do that, you should face reality. A simple ban won't solve the problem, I find the decision of deleting such threads to be causing more problems than it solves. I would be glad if people were not so vanilla about it, but of course, this is not up to me.
The troublemakers are punished. They are punished with bans from TLOPO moderators.

"...A simple ban won't solve the problem..."
I fail to see your point since you are not backing this claim up with any evidence that a ban won't solve the issues. The point is that airing users' dirty laundry on the forums isn't conducive to a pleasant viewing atmosphere. Nobody needs to know who has done what or be humiliated. The ones who act out are dealt with appropriately within the TLOPO moderation team.

I fail to see your point since you are not backing this claim up with any evidence that a ban won't solve the issues. The point is that airing users' dirty laundry on the forums isn't conducive to a pleasant viewing atmosphere. Nobody needs to know who has done what or be humiliated. The ones who act out are dealt with appropriately within the TLOPO moderation team.

You want an explanation? Okay.

When people cheat in games they are completely aware of what the punishment is - a ban. They violate the rules without being afraid of the consequences, because they already are aware of them. However, if they know the community might publicly expose them, they will think twice about cheating. I care more about solving the problem rather than political correctness, it's my philosophy and unlike you, I'm not enforcing it on anyone.

I got your point, no need to repeat it, it's just that I disagree with it. What's wrong about that? I sure hope me disagreeing with something doesn't break the friendly environment. How this problem is handled isn't even up to me, I'm just posting my opinion on it.

I don't mind cheaters, they aren't hurting me in any way, what I do mind is that there are ways to get into the game and change values, and there's probably other ways people could hack into the game and find out personal information like passwords. Whining online won't solve anything, take it to the TLOPO team and let them handle it. Also, I just don't get the need to publically shame someone.

I don't mind cheaters, they aren't hurting me in any way, what I do mind is that there are ways to get into the game and change values, and there's probably other ways people could hack into the game and find out personal information like passwords. Whining online won't solve anything, take it to the TLOPO team and let them handle it. Also, I just don't get the need to publically shame someone.
Cheat Engine doesn't work on online games, say you have 1287 gold and u use cheat engine to try and put it at 200k it will only change the appearance not the value

I just love the passion that this community has! Don't you?!

The whole point of this thread was not to argue opinions, it was to state to the members what the forums policy will be concerning public shaming. The end. Period.

If you want to debate the pros and cons of public shaming in today's society, then I suggest you move it to a thread of it's own in Off Topic forum.

If you'd like to suggest to TLOPO devs that they create public shaming pages for all the ne'er do wells in the game, then send them an email at support@tlopo.com or post a thread in the TLOPO Suggestions and Ideas forum.

Otherwise, I'm asking for the members of this forums to abide by our policies and rules, including this one on public shaming. Like it or not, this is how it will be on this forums.

Thank you very much for reading and I hope you enjoy your stay!

:raft:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back