Allow People to Own Four Ships

I'm going to put in another vote for keeping things as they are. People asking to have 4 ships so they can have one of each almost makes sense; but if your argument is that you are bored at the end of the game scrapping one to get another and building it up is not that big of an issue.

The idea was to recreate and better up POTCO, but sometimes the restrictions are necessary to really get the most out of the game. Inventory is limited for a reason--I had a heck of a time choosing how which swords I kept, especially when they were all famed. I also had a heck of a time choosing which upgrades to use and on which ships. Three ships is more than enough to fulfill what you need as a pirate--you can only take one ship out at a time, and let's face it, do you really have such a huge differing strategy that would REQUIRE you to own 4 different ship types? No.

If we go asking for more and more, eventually it will be top-heavy. We will have too much stuff and the work to keep what we have will be nearly negligible. By limiting what we can have, we further enjoy and make use of what we do have.

If TLOPO adds new ship types in the future, would you still stand by your steadfast belief in 3 ships maximum? ;)

Chris

If TLOPO adds new ship types in the future, would you still stand by your steadfast belief in 3 ships maximum? ;)

Chris
Yes, I would. We can only take one out at a time, anyway. If ship of the line comes out, I'd probably be willing to give something else up based on it's qualities...

Last edited:

Chris
Honestly, I think it should be kept at a percentage/ratio (ships:ship classes available)

Maybe something like 80%? You're allowed to own 80% of the ships available at one time, meaning that if there are 10 classes, you're given 8 bottles. :pirate ship:

Just food for thought.

You shouldn't just be able to get all the stuff you want in the game. To get the stuff you really want, you should at least have to give up the stuff that you don't like as much. In this case, if you have everything except a galleon, and you really want it and you don't like the sloop as much, then you should have to give up the sloop for the galleon. If you aren't willing to give up something for the things that you want, then you don't really want them at all.
he's a sarcastic dude with fake metaphors.. i like it ;)

Why stop at 4? I think it would be great to be allowed 1 of each type of ship. More ships to build for different SVS strategy, and different builds for speed and cargo. It would be great to keep our starter ship. More ships would also give us something to spend our max gold on.

Why stop at 4? I think it would be great to be allowed 1 of each type of ship. More ships to build for different SVS strategy, and different builds for speed and cargo. It would be great to keep our starter ship. More ships would also give us something to spend our max gold on.
By giving up nothing except a bit of gold to get another ship that makes the fact of owning the ship that you want less significant. If you truly want that ship you should be willing to have it instead of another ship that you want less, or you don't really want it at all.

I've flipped my position on this topic from where it was, like, a year ago. I don't want 4 ships because it'll take out the variety in the ships you own. Most people will just buy the 4 War ships and everyone will have the same set of ships. No individuality there. If you have a War Sloop even though at the moment it's more common to just have multiple War Brigs or a Light Sloop, you're being different and a little unique in a way. If anyone needs to use a War Sloop, say in SVS or against a fleet or something, they'll come to you if they know you. Having less available ships makes room for more individuality in the ships you buy.

However, I don't think I would have a problem with a 4th or even 5th ship slot being available through some sort of purchase. It would have to be a pretty hefty price, though - somewhere in the hundred thousands. And the 5th slot would have to cost more than the 4th. Maybe put a level requirement on it, too.

Back