Allow People to Own Four Ships

Maybe the amount of ships is based on your level? 1-10: 1 ship, 11-20, 2 ships etc... all the way to 41- 50 you get 5 ships, but i also agree the idea of choosing which ones to have, TLOPO is obviously going to add new ships though... Like the junk (sao feng's empress red chinese ship) or the carrack (el patron's landlocked ship in ravens cove) so maybe its a good idea to have more slots as there are more ships?

I don't see why so many people are against allowing players to have 4 ships at once :^(

There's not a lot to do once you completely master your pirate, and I think having 4 warships to customize would be a fun little thing to work towards after you max out everything, and it would also give you more variety while sailing with your friends.

Personally, I would love to have a Stormchaser war sloop, a Fortune Hunter war galleon, a Skull and Bones war frigate, and a Copperhead war brig all at the same time. That was never possible in POTCO, but hopefully it will be someday in TLOPO :)

I don't understand how limiting ship selection is fun. You could have all three ships in POTCO's launch. There was no 'sacrifice' until the Brig came along and the fourth ship slot remained missing.
Honestly I just never cared very much for the Brig. I liked being able to choose Sloop for speed, Galleon for the Hull and Storage capacity, and Frigate for front-line attacks and such.

I know the Brig is the jack-of-all-trades or whathaveyou, but it just felt terrible to steer. It turned weird and just had strange animations compared to how smooth everything was on the original ships.

I'd go for four ships although I wouldn't mind just three.
My favorite setup would be War sloop, War galleon, War frigate.
I'd be up to change the War frigate to a war brig because the sloop and galleon both have very good purposes.
War galleon = grinding loot for lots of gold
War sloop = SvS

Making a 4th ship slot would cut back on the decision making though.

Edit: Have fun choosing a sub-type for your ship. ;)

Because when you can have everything you want, you have no drive to get anything new and no decisions to make.

That's a good point, although many people were also in favour of adding more inventory slots or a separate storage area (captain's cabin, etc.) for the same reason. If more ship slots were added it wouldn't exactly make people less driven or interested in the game, methinks.

Because when you can have everything you want, you have no drive to get anything new and no decisions to make.

We might as well have one ship slot and ten inventory spaces if that philosophy works well.

It's not like we are asking for 12 ship slots. Heck, with four ship slots you still can't have EVERY hull customization option. It would just open up 4 of every war ship, or not if you want a light sloop or something for giggles. It still limits hull choices.

I think it shouldn't be easy to gain access to four ship slots. I believe it would work well in a quest chain, after you've hit level 50. I also digress, and believe that many quest chains should be introduced at 50, and perhaps a heightened level cap soon after those are introduced. Perhaps even more of the main story, to allow for that addition on to the level cap.

Back to the main topic: If it were introduced, it would be good coupled with questing or other activities (read: earned).

Christopher

Appeal to ridicule, please no fallacies here :(

Then we're just going to have to agree to disagree, now and forever.

I think it shouldn't be easy to gain access to four ship slots. I believe it would work well in a quest chain, after you've hit level 50. I also digress, and believe that many quest chains should be introduced at 50, and perhaps a heightened level cap soon after those are introduced. Perhaps even more of the main story, to allow for that addition on to the level cap.

Back to the main topic: If it were introduced, it would be good coupled with questing or other activities (read: earned).

Christopher

I could agree to that. Quest chains to open up more options would be a neat idea.

Christopher
I wouldn't have a problem with these being implemented as a "level-50 only" perk.

Unless you're a sailing nut, the average player probably wouldn't even get enough materials to max 4 warships by level 50.

Christopher
I agree, I think upgrades like increased inventory, more ships, etc... should be unlocked. For instance I think if you master sailing you should be given the quest to unlock an additional ship in a bottle. These quests should be challenging.

I'm going to put in another vote for keeping things as they are. People asking to have 4 ships so they can have one of each almost makes sense; but if your argument is that you are bored at the end of the game scrapping one to get another and building it up is not that big of an issue.

The idea was to recreate and better up POTCO, but sometimes the restrictions are necessary to really get the most out of the game. Inventory is limited for a reason--I had a heck of a time choosing how which swords I kept, especially when they were all famed. I also had a heck of a time choosing which upgrades to use and on which ships. Three ships is more than enough to fulfill what you need as a pirate--you can only take one ship out at a time, and let's face it, do you really have such a huge differing strategy that would REQUIRE you to own 4 different ship types? No.

If we go asking for more and more, eventually it will be top-heavy. We will have too much stuff and the work to keep what we have will be nearly negligible. By limiting what we can have, we further enjoy and make use of what we do have.

Back