Discussion AMD's new processor and motherboard series

Solomon Warshot

Site Founder
Hey everyone,

So today, AMD has made available for pre-order, through resellers and their own store site, their new Ryzen 7 series processor (along with its' counterpart AM4 chipset motherboards). They'll start shipping out March 2nd. The Ryzen 7's claim to fame is that it's supposed to be at the same processing speed of an i7 at a fraction of the cost.

I personally haven't researched much into AMD's hardware outside of the recent AMD vs Nvidia battle but will be looking into reviews and discussions over how well AMD's new Ryzens compare to Intel's i7s. I didn't know if any of you would be interested or had already heard something but thought it'd be interesting to hear some discussion or thoughts on whether AMD will finally put up a viable competitor against an Intel processor.

Link to the launch page: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

The price point, performance, and benchmarks all look very promising. That being said, it's unwise to buy the first round of new hardware as soon as it comes out. If these processors continue in the manner shown in the video below, then I'm seriously considering picking one of them up when I upgrade my PC.

As long as this keeps things competitive between the two to where I can buy a high end CPU without having to sacrifice my first born child I will be a very happy man.

I'm always very skeptical of such announcements. In everything you can possibly think of, 99% of the time "the next big thing" either winds up being the same thing everyone else offers OR it's a lot worse than what everyone else offers. In my opinion such announcements are mostly for advertisement purposes, not for actually announcing an innovation.

Back