Question Any way to increase stability?

Andrew Murray

Swashbuckler
So I am already assigning maximum priority to the game, every graphical preset on low, music off and basic loading screen, however I still hit that 4gb memory limit within 15 minutes of gameplay. I can pretty much only load three areas if one of them includes sailing and four areas with no sailing. The game pretty much crashes only because of hitting the maximum memory limit too. Is there any way to increase this limit because I have 16gb ram so I still have at least 10gb left before the game hits its memory cap.

Here's my advice.
• If you haven't already, as you didn't totally specify, change your graphics level to custom and then change everything to low/unchecked. This caused me to crash way less often and significantly improved my frame rate.
• Priority setting isn't really necessary and there are many people who would argue it doesn't help at all.
• Crashing because of loading areas or fighting is just going to happen, the former of course causing it to happen quickly while the latter takes awhile. Crashing is not totally preventable.
• One thing I've done that I think has helped with the memory issue is that I installed CleanMem, a free memory monitor/cleaner that includes two basic, helpful functions - cleaning your file cache and your memory of unnecessary files. The more often you do it, it seems, the less likely you are to crash. You can also preset it to do it every 5 minutes or less often if you want. Again, my crashing problems haven't been solved by this, but I do think they've reduced due to it.

Personally, ever since I changed my graphics to custom and low on everything, I rarely crash. The lag of recent that was caused by an update has been my only major issue. If you have checked off all my above points, you should have pretty much the same results, especially as available RAM hasn't seemed to be a huge factor in crash likelihood (although, just for reference I have about 7.5 GB usable). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here's my advice.
• If you haven't already, as you didn't totally specify, change your graphics level to custom and then change everything to low/unchecked. This caused me to crash way less often and significantly improved my frame rate.
• Priority setting isn't really necessary and there are many people who would argue it doesn't help at all.
• Crashing because of loading areas or fighting is just going to happen, the former of course causing it to happen quickly while the latter takes awhile. Crashing is not totally preventable.
• One thing I've done that I think has helped with the memory issue is that I installed CleanMem, a free memory monitor/cleaner that includes two basic, helpful functions - cleaning your file cache and your memory of unnecessary files. The more often you do it, it seems, the less likely you are to crash. You can also preset it to do it every 5 minutes or less often if you want. Again, my crashing problems haven't been solved by this, but I do think they've reduced due to it.

Personally, ever since I changed my graphics to custom and low on everything, I rarely crash. The lag of recent that was caused by an update has been my only major issue. If you have checked off all my above points, you should have pretty much the same results, especially as available RAM hasn't seemed to be a huge factor in crash likelihood (although, just for reference I have about 7.5 GB usable). Hope this helps.
Sorry I probably should have clearified then. Yes I do already use custom graphic settings and everything low or off. Also I just noticed during my current play time right now that my system will only use 1,819,592kb on memory while the .exe program of tlopo says it ran out of memory at 4,195,623kb. So something is really off if the launcher thinks it is using 4 gb of ram when my computer is not even using half of that. Also asfter 3 crashes and monitoring all 3 of them the game has run out of memory when my computer is using the exact same about of ram (1.8gb).

So I am already assigning maximum priority to the game, every graphical preset on low, music off and basic loading screen, however I still hit that 4gb memory limit within 15 minutes of gameplay. I can pretty much only load three areas if one of them includes sailing and four areas with no sailing. The game pretty much crashes only because of hitting the maximum memory limit too. Is there any way to increase this limit because I have 16gb ram so I still have at least 10gb left before the game hits its memory cap.

It's a 32-bit application which means it can only access something like 4 GB RAM. I think it's to do with the size of the pointers to the memory addresses.

So 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 bytes.

4,294,967,296 bytes / 1024 = 4,194,304 KB.

4,194,304 KB / 1024 = 4,096 MB.

4,096 MB / 1024 = 4 GB.

Not entirely sure about my maths but you get the idea. It's an inherent limit of 32-bit applications.

As to why it crashes on reaching 1.8 GB RAM used, I have no idea :p

Back