Request Are any upgrades planned for the in game chat window?

Mharr

Wanted Pirate
Edited after important information from Jim Hexskull and community poll:

If you're in a guild and sailing with a crew, the crew chat tab can be a constantly scrolling mess of captain's barks, local chat, crew chat and guild chat forcing each other off screen before you can read anything. I have two suggestions to help counter this:
  • Some ability to hide categories of text in the different tabs, so that guild doesn't flood the crew tab, local doesn't interfere with guild, etc. Ideally this would be user definable, so crew could include local chat from players, but not sailing skill activations.
  • To new players it's not evident that scrolling back in conversations is possible, as that control is only displayed when chat is both maximised and filled with text. This feature could be revealed by changing the default size to maximum, while storing the current size in user settings between logins. (I'd personally leave it full all the time, but I assume some players wouldn't want that)

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with this :)

I'd love the option to only show the chat that I'm using at that time ie crew chat or private chat, but the ability to scroll back through chat would be extremely helpful too!

The scroll bar is already there
AFAICT that is not a true statement. There's some graphical embellishment that looks like a placeholder for a scroll bar, but no way to actually scroll that I can find. Certainly my mouse wheel does nothing.

Maximize the chat window, then click and hold it, it scrolls just fine.
Um... Maybe it only works on some operating systems or graphics cards or something? I've tried to drag every part of the chat window, nothing responds and there's definitely no scroll indicator. Are you using the Mac client?

Um... Maybe it only works on some operating systems or graphics cards or something? I've tried to drag every part of the chat window, nothing responds and there's definitely no scroll indicator. Are you using the Mac client?
Nope, I'm on Windows 10. It may just be something with your pc, but I doubt that. I'd report it as a bug, but the feature is definitely there.

Bummer. I got excited to read we could scroll but I have no bar or any way to scroll either (maxed window, tried clicking where I thought a bar should be, nope).

Ohhhh. There is a scrollbar, but it only activates if you have the chat window set to double height?

That's an... astonishing design decision. Amending my suggestion.

Last edited:
GmGigxA.png

Well yeah, I was. Because the devs hid it under a rock! :D

Thanks Jim! Oh look, you spammed yourself the exact same way I did. Hope neither of us get banned for annoying ourselves on our own ships.
I was doing that to try and create enough chat to be able to scroll lol

The scroll bar is already there, however I do agree with having the ability to hide certain channels. It would definitely help while sailing.
Maximize the chat window, then click and hold it, it scrolls just fine.

Ahhhh!! That explains why I didn't find it yet!
I've never had my chat expanded. Since I'm an antisocial old barnacle I generally prefer it to be tucked away in the corner discretely.

Thank you for telling us this Jim :cheers:

......only showing the specific chat that you want to see and being able to switch easily between which one(s) are on view would still be a great addition though :)

I've never had my chat expanded. Since I'm an antisocial old barnacle I generally prefer it to be tucked away in the corner discretely.
It's actually only full height while you're actively chatting, when you turn back to the game it automatically flips itself back down into the corner. Pretty cool. Honestly, I think that size & behaviour should be the default.

It's actually only full height while you're actively chatting, when you turn back to the game it automatically flips itself back down into the corner. Pretty cool. Honestly, I think that size & behaviour should be the default.

ah oki...misunderstanding on my part there..I'm not actually logged in game so hadn't been back to look for the scroll bar yet and as I said previously, I'm generally anti social, I have no reason to actively expand the chat so I made an assumption at what Jim meant (the expanding part)
It's good to know I can scroll chat, if I want to though :)

Well yeah, I was. Because the devs hid it under a rock! :D

Thanks Jim! Oh look, you spammed yourself the exact same way I did. Hope neither of us get banned for annoying ourselves on our own ships.
I do wonder why Disney designed their chat as they did. It's a very strange decision, indeed! Oh well, perhaps TLOPO will one day fix up some of Disney's interesting decisions. :)

Chris

Back