Discussion Are you new or are you a returning POTCO player?

Are you new or a returning POTCO player?

• New

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Returning POTCO Player

Votes: 80 97.6%

• Total voters

Fred Anderson

Forum Mod
Been curious about this one for a while.
Im a returning POTCO player (est. 2010), I first knew about the game when I saw a kid playing it at the library. I remember seeing Jolly Roger when POTCO was always up to date when the whole remake rumors started and keep on eye on JohnnyDaPirate's channel. I heard about about Pirates Online Rewritten from his channel and sooner got changed to TLOPO. Finally, I went to the website and tried making my account but you needed a alpha key. I stayed patient and waited until I could create an account without an alpha key. At last, I was able to make my account, but I realized you had to reserve a play time slot like a week than advance to actually play. Although, I tried reserving and attempted to login on the day of my playtime. I was never about to make it since I was so busy. I heard the only way to actually get a feel of the game was to get an alpha key was from the IRC chat, so I waited each day until the staff said a key. I gave up and waited until they changed the reserve slot system and I finally was about to play. Guess thats shows how much the game meant to me and just how bad I really wanted to play the game.

I dont think I've said it but maybe I have, Thank you TLOPO Team for making this possible.

Last edited:
Ironically enough, I started playing POTCO about a week before they announced it was closing. I played every day for that last month, but I didn't get all that far. So everything is still new to me.

I started playing POTCO 2 months after it was released and played 'til they battened down the last hatch, minus a brief lapse or two. Found out about TLOPO before alpha phase was released, but then I was too busy moving to even try to get into alpha and did not have internet/computer access for about a year.

I started in 2007 when I was still just a kid starting middle school. I saw a commercial for POTCO on TV, and that was it. Been hooked ever since.

I still remember playing on the old Port Royal. Wasn't as invested in the game at the time, but wound up loving and playing it regularly a year before it closed. I never played as often as I do now due to the membership payments, but still Enjoyed in nonetheless. Sadly, I wasn't aware it closes down until my friend told me. I started to miss it immediately. I was so glad to hear you people were remaking the game, and I've fallen back in love.

Pretty sure everyone is a veteran (don't quote me on that) since new players wouldn't bother to play such an old game unless they felt a connection with the game just like most of us with our memories of POTCO
There are actually, surprisingly, quite a few people who play TLOPO who never got a chance to play POTCO. There's at least a few on these forums.

Pretty sure everyone is a veteran (don't quote me on that)

I couldn't resist quoting you on that! :)

I never played PotCO myself.
My fella did, and he'd told me that there was a couple of remakes in the pipeline and how excited he was to be able to play again soon. He signed up for both TLoPO and one other to try them out and keep tabs on progress. It quickly became clear that this was the superior of the two so he ditched the other one. The next time I remember him talking about it, he was asking if I wanted to play TLoPO with him as he had found a Beta key for me. I signed right up and became immediately hooked. This was just a few weeks before TLoPO closed for the big update and I've been loitering around ever since . I only found out after I started playing how difficult it was to get hold of Beta keys and that he'd spent months in game digging for mine <3

Wow! Thinking back 10 years passed by...
My son and myself have played POTCO since the beginning of testing, I believe beta keys were released through Fileplanet at the time, never made founder because we only purchased unlimited a month or so after the game has been released.
Always go by old enough to know better young enough to do it anyway.:bang:

Last edited:
Wow was surprised at the vote total!! Anyways I missed Founder by a very small margin - Would have been smaller if I hadn't had to go to Target to find a POTCO card. Played for a very long time and always enjoyed sailing these seas. I couldn't be more thankful to the dev's for bringing back a game and community I enjoyed so much.

I was playing Guild Wars with POTCO back in the day and I'm playing Guild Wars 2 with Tlopo now - The more things change ............

I played during the beta, but at the time my main focus was VMK, so unfortunately I didn't continue playing until I picked the game back up in 2010. I regret that decision, but at least I had a good three years with my guild in POTCO, and now get to experience it again with TLOPO :buds:

There are actually, surprisingly, quite a few people who play TLOPO who never got a chance to play POTCO. There's at least a few on these forums.

Yup, you'd be surprised how many totally new players there are. The game may be old, but that doesn't keep people from wanting to play haha. It's the same with other (albeit way older) emulated MMOs such as this; Everquest Project 1999 and Star Wars Galaxies Emu, to name a couple, have a ton of players who never played the original games. I think it's awesome how we can still experience old, once-dead MMOs.

I started playing on 11-14-07, I remember this because I had a screenshot on my old computer of me being level 1 on that date. I played POTCO from when I started down to the last minute. Found out about Pirates Online Rewritten, followed all the updates until it got changed to TLOPO played a bit of the alpha, started playing a lot in the beta. Love this game, still remember the unlimited access commercial come on tv and me booking it to the computer to play it

I've been with this game from the beginning! I remember the old limited access with the small screen and killing my eyes for hours to play! Then finally convincing my parents to buy me unlimited access one time and getting my pirate all new clothing, hair and tattoos! Love what the Devs have done, so much hard work and beautiful detail and hours of love clearly went into tlopo! It's just as I remember the game from my childhood! Love that everything is available now that you used to pay for. Plus everyone in this community that I've encountered is always super nice!

I am a returning potco player myself i stopped at level 48 because the game started to get boring but in other words i really loved the time i spent during my childhood was a great time but still bummed that it closed and now im level 50 and still going on a second pirate.

Back