Idea Blacklist vs. Whitelist

Divine

Pirate Lord
Okay so I was trying to talk with some people today, and even simple mistakes like and being typed adn, trying to talk with someone (e.g sofia can't be said so you have to say sofie a) etc. So what could be better, is having a blacklist where whoever tries to type said words would get arrr'd. This could help with performance as well seeing that every time you type, words are processed through a huge whitelist. This is quite unpractical, but of course, just my opinion.
suggestion.JPG

171,476 words in the english language :3

I was literally just thinking about this. I totally agree that there should be a blacklist rather than a white list. It would be so much easier to adjust, and a lot easier for people to talk in game.

Yeah, I think in the original game had an option of choosing between whitelist and blacklist chat. Words only got arrr'd if you selected the whitelist mode. Having that option available would be a great idea.

Today I was thinking of how lexical analysis works in compilers while playing TLOPO and realized how inefficient the white list is. I absolutely agree, what you are proposing is simpler, more efficient and doesn't require as much updates as a white list.

Today I was thinking of how lexical analysis works in compilers while playing TLOPO and realized how inefficient the white list is. I absolutely agree, what you are proposing is simpler, more efficient and doesn't require as much updates as a white list.
indeed :D

This is a great idea, but many games with blacklisted chats suffer from people bypassing the system much easier than whitelist. Look at ROBLOX for an example, people bypass the system all the time on that game. But, since TLoPO is much smaller than ROBLOX, reports should be easier for moderators to review.

This is a great idea, but many games with blacklisted chats suffer from people bypassing the system much easier than whitelist. Look at ROBLOX for an example, people bypass the system all the time on that game. But, since TLoPO much smaller than ROBLOX, reports should be easier for moderators to review.
exactly :D

This is a great idea, but many games with blacklisted chats suffer from people bypassing the system much easier than whitelist. Look at ROBLOX for an example, people bypass the system all the time on that game. But, since TLoPO is much smaller than ROBLOX, reports should be easier for moderators to review.

How exactly do they bypass it? From what I know ROBLOX provides freedom to the players by giving them tools to change the game in any way, unlike TLOPO. And the engine used for the game is probably some custom, but badly designed one. (Not sure about that last statement, correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not too knowledgeable of ROBLOX, but I somehow wouldn't trust it as an example.

Okay so I was trying to talk with some people today, and even simple mistakes like and being typed adn, trying to talk with someone (e.g sofia can't be said so you have to say sofie a) etc. So what could be better, is having a blacklist where whoever tries to type said words would get arrr'd. This could help with performance as well seeing that every time you type, words are processed through a huge whitelist. This is quite unpractical, but of course, just my opinion.
View attachment 73895
171,476 words in the english language :3
I think this is a great idea, it could be under settings as listed as a chat drop down with the filter settings like:

Chat filter:
  • Advanced
  • Lack
  • None
  • Custom

I was thinking about this last night as I was heading to bed. I agree that the whitelist could use some work. I guess it is easier to do the whitelist because they have a solid understanding of what can be said. Using a blacklist would create those loop arounds you guys were just talking about.

This could simply be solved with a simple chat level system like other games have. We have the click to chat, the whitelist chat, and the blacklist chat.

The problems with blacklists are since they filter only a select amount, you could say things like "** **". I do think this idea has some potential but needs some work to be something ready for an actual release.

Back