Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Needs more detail

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Roger_ Gunshot

Pirate Master
I'm not entirely sure if this is historically accurate, but perhaps bucklers could be implemented in the game, and would be sold at the swordsmith shops. They would limit what type of weapons you could use when you had them equipped such as with swords, you would only be able to use single-handed weapons (I know two-handed aren't in), and maybe a pistol. They would obviously give a defense boost, and would increase the likelihood of a parry/deflection. The bucklers were made out of different materials, and in-game you would be able to buy them in those different materials, with wood being at the lowest, and iron/steel (or a higher metal) being the best.

Wooden Buckler
images

Leather Buckler
upload_2016-10-30_11-31-37.jpeg

Copper Buckler
images

Steel Buckler
upload_2016-10-30_11-33-39.jpeg

Edit: Changed it to go more along with what the comments were saying. (Thanks guys :))

Last edited:
As good as this idea is, I'm not sure it would fit into the whole "pirates" scenario. I'm pretty sure that they never used shields in their battles. As I said, it's a good idea and maybe you could go a little more in depth with it, maybe explaining what sorts of shields, what we can't do with shields, what we can, etc.

Ever heard of a swashBUCKLER? Despite what you may think, bucklers were used at the time, by only the most savvy pirates. Shields and armour were completely obsolete by then, but when you've ran out of shot for your pistol or musket, anything works, especially a buckler.

I must admit however, it would look odd, as it doesn't fit the pirate stereotype very well. Tbh, I'm not sure whether this is a good idea or not. Maybe.

As long as your opponent had a gun, you may as well have been carrying around a dress in your off-hand for as much good as a shield would give you. Don't get me wrong, shields are one of my favorite items in more medieval styled games, but here they really wouldn't have a purpose. Good suggestion though!

As long as your opponent had a gun, you may as well have been carrying around a dress in your off-hand for as much good as a shield would give you. Don't get me wrong, shields are one of my favorite items in more medieval styled games, but here they really wouldn't have a purpose. Good suggestion though!
Well, a nice thick steel shield with a concave surface would probably have been able to deflect bullets, but there's also a good chance that the bullet could just go straight through. However, if bullets couldn't reflect off of thick steel then target shooters wouldn't have to stand as far back from their targets and put them at an angle. Wooden shields, like bucklers, would have been completely useless though. Steel heaters with perhaps a 45 degree angle in the center might be able to do the job though.

Well, a nice thick steel shield with a concave surface would probably have been able to deflect bullets, but there's also a good chance that the bullet could just go straight through. However, if bullets couldn't reflect off of thick steel then target shooters wouldn't have to stand as far back from their targets and put them at an angle. Wooden shields, like bucklers, would have been completely useless though. Steel heaters with perhaps a 45 degree angle in the center might be able to do the job though.
Just eyeballing your reply, I think we can all agree that if shields WERE to be implemented, there would have to be some serious thought into the stats of it and how it would react to attacks/defense. There's no denying that it's a very interesting topic, we should develop it further.

Just eyeballing your reply, I think we can all agree that if shields WERE to be implemented, there would have to be some serious thought into the stats of it and how it would react to attacks/defense. There's no denying that it's a very interesting topic, we should develop it further.
Indeed. I don't think they should be added though because they don't seem to fit well. I was just going off on a medieval weapons nerd tangent :)

That is true but it just seems like a detriment to have to lugg this solid piece of metal around, in addition to all of your other weapons , that at best can only maybe actually save you. It is definitely an interesting concept though and I would like to see if anything could be done with it

Indeed. I don't think they should be added though because they don't seem to fit well. I was just going off on a medieval weapons nerd tangent :)
That is true but it just seems like a detriment to have to lugg this solid piece of metal around, in addition to all of your other weapons , that at best can only maybe actually save you. It is definitely an interesting concept though and I would like to see if anything could be done with it

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE medieval! It's absolutely one of my favorite settings for a game.
We should DEFINITELY try and see what we can do to expand it, maybe it can be incorporated as a minigame instead of a main weapon?

Saying shields should be in the game and bucklers should are two different things. Bucklers are so different from most shields, many people don't even consider them shields. They aren't used to block, but to parry, deflect and attack with. The metal on a buckler is nowhere near as thick enough to stop a bullet, no armour or shield can be designed to (in this period anyway, the shots just travel too fast). Defence simply isn't the purpose of a buckler.

In the medieval era, when firearms where the hip new (dangerous) thing, armour would be 'safety checked' by being shot at, it usually only made a dent. However, eventually they made firearms that spat out shot real fast, making armour useless. I wouldn't trust a heater shield for the stuff we see in POTCO, or anything other than a concrete wall.

Should shields be in TLOPO? No, it would just be weird.
Should bucklers be in TLOPO? There's a case for it, if you don't consider it a shield.

EDIT: On how it should be implemented without having to overhaul the equipment system: Have buckler+cutlass as a weapon type, (just one weapon) which maybe has less attack speed, but enemies miss more often in melee). Of course this would require completely new animations, models and textures, so it would have to be worked on a long after TLOPO launches fully.

Last edited:
I dont like the idea of shields for a pirate game even though im sure some pirates did use them in some capacity, Im absolutely certain a curved steel shield could have deflected a couple bullets from a flintlock pistol or musket. However i do like the idea of some kind of basic armor added like maybe re-enforced clothing that gives a slight defense boost or something like an armor stat

I dont like the idea of shields for a pirate game even though im sure some pirates did use them in some capacity, Im absolutely certain a curved steel shield could have deflected a couple bullets from a flintlock pistol or musket. However i do like the idea of some kind of basic armor added like maybe re-enforced clothing that gives a slight defense boost or something like an armor stat
Yea maybe something that could only work against swords and daggers and not guns, dolls, grenades, or staves, then again the only time guns or staves are used against you are in PvP, and dolls are only really common in invasions. But yea, some light armor could be cool against melee weapons.

Saying shields should be in the game and bucklers should are two different things. Bucklers are so different from most shields, many people don't even consider them shields. They aren't used to block, but to parry, deflect and attack with. The metal on a buckler is nowhere near as thick enough to stop a bullet, no armour or shield can be designed to (in this period anyway, the shots just travel too fast). Defence simply isn't the purpose of a buckler.

In the medieval era, when firearms where the hip new (dangerous) thing, armour would be 'safety checked' by being shot at, it usually only made a dent. However, eventually they made firearms that spat out shot real fast, making armour useless. I wouldn't trust a heater shield for the stuff we see in POTCO, or anything other than a concrete wall.

Should shields be in TLOPO? No, it would just be weird.
Should bucklers be in TLOPO? There's a case for it, if you don't consider it a shield.

EDIT: On how it should be implemented without having to overhaul the equipment system: Have buckler+cutlass as a weapon type, (just one weapon) which maybe has less attack speed, but enemies miss more often in melee). Of course this would require completely new animations, models and textures, so it would have to be worked on a long after TLOPO launches fully.

Yeah I didn't do as much research as I should have when thinking about this, but I like the idea of having a buckler and cutlass as a single weapon instead of buying it separately.

Back