Suggestion Cannon Restocking Revamp

Sky Kiwi

Pirate Master
Bear with me, for this is going to sound weird at first.

I propose adding the ability to purchase cannon ammo while at sea.

"That doesn't make sense! Shut up Kiwi!" ~ You, Probably
I said bear with me, darn it!

My suggestion is to add a location on the ship where you can open a shop window to purchase cannon ammo. This sounds like it will invalidate the entire process of having ammo, but it doesn't because of a key difference in this store.

To open this store, first you have to not be on a cannon or repair slot, obviously. But when you first interact with the store window, it will take a minute or two to open the window. During this time you cannot perform any actions (other than talking). This is to emulate the same amount of time it will take to get ammo normally.

The access point for this store could be a barrel, or even the door of the ship.

You may ask, why? Why would you do this?

Because the current system is stupid. You can teleport to shore mid-run, grab some ammo, and teleport back. There's several issues with this.
  • First of all, loading screens. Nobody likes loading screens, even when they don't crash you! And in TLOPO, they crash you!
  • PC advantage. Players with better PC's will load faster, letting them return to ship with full ammo much faster than other players. This is obviously a bigger deal in SvS.
  • Missing out on cargo. It's a pain. Getting ammo to help your crew sink ships faster, and either you get punished by missing out on some cargo, or the crew has to hold fire on a ship for you to get back.
  • It's a needless hassle. I don't want to teleport to land and back. I just want to stay out on the open ocean.
With my suggestion players can restock ammo without going through loading screens or crashing, and while it will still be just as time consuming it won't be viewed as a chore. You know what's fun? Video games. You know what's not fun? Chores!

It will still be as balanced as it is now - while a crew member is restocking he is not firing or repairing. Additionally the increased barrel sizes are still useful as they mean less time between having to open the shop with its delay. The only straight up advantages this has to the way it is now is they still get cargo (which could be changed) and the rest of the crew still gets the crew bonus from his presence.

Additionally this all uses assets already found in-game. A barrel or a door are obviously things that already exist, as is the cannon ammo store. The only real "development" required would be to create an object with an interaction delay (think searching barrels/crates for quests, or digging but without an animation) that opens a store when finished. Then place this object on each ship. How easy that is I don't know, as I'm not familiar with Panda3D or TLOPO's code, but hopefully it's simple enough.

I get that it's weird to restock while still on the ship, but it's just as weird as teleporting off and back on. Besides, our broadsides and round shots all have unlimited ammo! There's weirder things in TLOPO!

Last edited:
Interesting idea, this might also help reduce server stress. I dont know how "expensive" it is to teleport, enter a shop, and teleport back but since this is something people do regularly it would be beneficial to circumvent the entire process. As you said, weirder things.

Here's a couple of ideas I thought of to make the process more interesting.

1. Introduce a new npc that can be hired by the ship's owner - some salty dude to manage the ship's ammunition stores. This npc will be the shift-activated shop. Let's make him have a cool pose over a stack of crates & barrels located in the middle of the main deck. The shop will be slightly different than other shops, in that you will not have the option to sell things, but only buy Cannon ammunition.

2. This shop will need to be stocked by the ship owner by buying surplus amounts of ammo from regular shops to be specifically for the purpose of being sent to ship storage. When bought by other players, however, it will cost 10% more than the normal price for ammo. All of the gold spent can be collected by the ship's owner either after porting, or by getting a "plunder!" window each time somebody buys ammo.

3. Ammunition storage can have 3 different upgrades to increase how much it can hold. I'll come up with some numbers for that later.

And in TLOPO, they crash you!

Can't help thinking of "In Russia" memes. Oh wait....

N9qIKkK.png

I'm sorry :ar:

I like the idea of having an option to restock on cannon ammo from one's own ship. Would make it so much easier than having to teleport and endure the dreaded loading screen.

Here's a couple of ideas I thought of to make the process more interesting.

1. Introduce a new npc that can be hired by the ship's owner - some salty dude to manage the ship's ammunition stores. This npc will be the shift-activated shop. Let's make him have a cool pose over a stack of crates & barrels located in the middle of the main deck. The shop will be slightly different than other shops, in that you will not have the option to sell things, but only buy Cannon ammunition.

2. This shop will need to be stocked by the ship owner by buying surplus amounts of ammo from regular shops to be specifically for the purpose of being sent to ship storage. When bought by other players, however, it will cost 10% more than the normal price for ammo. All of the gold spent can be collected by the ship's owner either after porting, or by getting a "plunder!" window each time somebody buys ammo.

3. Ammunition storage can have 3 different upgrades to increase how much it can hold. I'll come up with some numbers for that later.
Love the ideas. Having a hired person do it is a nice touch, that could be done even with my implementation of the idea.

I kept it simple for the sake of the TLOPO devs, though. Easier to implement the more likely it is, as far as I see. I considered going routes like this, but I never fleshed it out quite so well as you did.

Back