Workaround Cannot sail on ships without crashing

CaptainJohnHawk

Dockworker
I hope I'm posting in the right place about this crashing issue. I've had this problem continually for as long as I've been playing TLOPO and nothing I've tried to implement to fix it has seemed to work in the slightest. I'm playing on a late 2011 Macbook Pro with 16 gigs of ram, a 2.2 GHz i7 processor, and running OS X 10.11.16. (I know, I'm working on getting a new PC) I run the game on medium or low graphics depending on how much the game is acting up on a given day, without the fancy sky dome or animation smoothing boxes checked.

There are a few notable things that go along with this issue: the game always runs great, and I typically get around 60 FPS. Everything feels smooth and responsive, and any combat on land rarely results in a crash. The game is capable of running very well even on the highest graphic settings but I've figured the animation smoothing and extra particles could contribute to the crashing. Regardless, the game always runs very smoothly and I rarely get any notable dips in FPS.

The second I get on my ship, a friend's ship, or any public ship for that matter though (whether I'm the one sailing or I'm on cannons), the game crashes back to the desktop without fail. Sometimes I can stay on a ship for five minutes without issues, other times it crashes as soon as I press shift to get on a cannon. It's gotten to the point where I consider it a lucky occurrence if I can get through any mat run only crashing once or twice and still being able to rejoin my crew without them porting without me. It takes away half of what makes this game so enjoyable to me, and makes me scared to ever try taking the wheel of a ship because it's never a matter of if I'm going to crash but rather when.

I'm sure there are other people out there who have similar issues, but so far I've not found any solution that has made any significant difference. I've tried reinstalling multiple times, I empty caches on a regular basis, and heck I've even tried changing the game's formatting around on my screen to see if that would do anything. I do not care if the game has to run on potato settings; I'm just looking for a solution to make the game run reliably and to maintain stability.

Back