Suggestion Chat Filters

Should the censorship be fixed?

• Absolutely, remove the whole filter!

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Yes, only for some words (Gandhi, gay, etc.).

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • No, I like the current system.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I read their announcement and look forward to their changes.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quigz579

Dockworker
There needs to be some sort of change in the words that get changed to yarr, garr, or words that can get you banned. The game does not allow me to say Gandhi, gay (not as an insult), Christ, dumb, darn, hell, and several more. I get that this was once a Disney game, but is there anyway that the Devs would be able to reverse the unbearably broad censorship? I can't have mature conversations in the game because half the religious words are banned or get turned into yarr. Can't talk about gay rights / peoples sxuality out of fear that some 12 year old might use it as a silly insult. I get racist terms, or hard cuss words, but GANDHI?! BUDDHA?! I've never once heard anyone use those in an insult. Filtering inappropriate chat is one thing, but censorship to such an extreme level is an entirely different issue. Jesus is another italic word. At the very least there should be a way for players to turn off the filter for the silly blocked words. I'm fine with not being able to cuss, but I'd like to have a conversation with some people in my guild without having to decipher what their yarr and garr meant.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Quigz579

UPDATE: I understand that this is not at the top of the list for the Devs to deal with, the content obviously comes first. I just wanted to make sure that it's addressed, and hopefully one day be an update.

UPDATE 2: I only realized after writing this that the issue has already been addressed. For those of you who found this but not the announcement, here is their post regarding the matter.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/moderation-procedures-overhaul-work-in-progress.19626/

Last edited:
i definitely agree. to start with, this game is awesome, but it sucks trying to use shorthand or maybe typing one letter wrong when sailing or in a fight and the whole idea of your message is ruined by arr yarr garr. i understand reasoning to keep curses and likewise censored, and i think theyre hesitant about it because of all the creative ways players would use to get around simple barriers like that, so it seems for now its kind of an all or nothing

I would like to add that the warn/ban mechanism seems kind of pointless. If I accidentally type a bad word, why should I get banned for something that nobody ever saw?

There needs to be some sort of change in the words that get changed to yarr, garr, or words that can get you banned. The game does not allow me to say Gandhi, gay (not as an insult), Christ, dumb, darn, hell, and several more. I get that this was once a Disney game, but is there anyway that the Devs would be able to reverse the unbearably broad censorship? I can't have mature conversations in the game because half the religious words are banned or get turned into yarr. Can't talk about gay rights / peoples sxuality out of fear that some 12 year old might use it as a silly insult. I get racist terms, or hard cuss words, but GANDHI?! BUDDHA?! I've never once heard anyone use those in an insult. Filtering inappropriate chat is one thing, but censorship to such an extreme level is an entirely different issue. Jesus is another italic word. At the very least there should be a way for players to turn off the filter for the silly blocked words. I'm fine with not being able to cuss, but I'd like to have a conversation with some people in my guild without having to decipher what their yarr and garr meant.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Quigz579

UPDATE: I understand that this is not at the top of the list for the Devs to deal with, the content obviously comes first. I just wanted to make sure that it's addressed, and hopefully one day be an update.

UPDATE 2: I only realized after writing this that the issue has already been addressed. For those of you who found this but not the announcement, here is their post regarding the matter.
https://piratesforums.co/threads/moderation-procedures-overhaul-work-in-progress.19626/
You spoke

Just a note that the chat is whitelist-based and not blacklist-based. If you can't say words it's not necessarily because they've been blacklisted. You can suggest new words for the whitelist here: https://piratesforums.co/threads/the-official-whitelist-suggestion-thread.12084/

With that said, this topic has been discussed to death many times over. The game is intended to be family friendly and appropriate for all ages, and the chat system itself will not be changing. Moderation procedures are changing in response to feedback though, seeing as the language is censored anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back