Discussion Current State of Beta

Yulia

Pirate Master
TLOPO has come a long way since Alpha, and now has 50,000. All of this voluntary. We have to appreciate that before we even talk about this just remember. Don't ever forget that. We really need to be extremely grateful. But now to the topic at hand.

• In version 1.3.2, Land combat didn't lag heavily like it did "post 1.3.3"
  • We currently have the basics. Combat. Sailing. Fishing. Islands. Cannons. Weapons. etc.
  • Ever since 1.3.3 players have been getting more grumpy
  • 1.3.4 Rolls around and players assumed incorrectly that the next update would "hopefully fix what went wrong in 1.3.3 patch that caused the land combat lag" (Since there was no real announcement from staff or communication as to why that did happen in 1.3.3). So naturally players go to forums acting entitled, complaining about the Muertos Moon feature even though it was a original feature (Probably driven to that point due to lack of communication and playing land combat under lag, and their own assumptions)
  • Day before 1.3.4 is over and a big majority of players are getting annoyed due to no actual answers because they have no actual patience so they continue to complain about Murteos Moon event moreso then they normally would. 15 Minutes until Update message rolls around ingame today and they were excited because they figured it was something major or something with substance that they could grasp onto.
  • 1.3.5 Rolls around and from what I can tell so far its pretty much to add a redeemable code and to remove the Friday the 13th events. No refinements to sailing AI. No fixing stuck player ships/fishing boat issue. No fixing Foulberto. No fixing Land Combat FPS issue. No fixing the occasional land compass derp/sailing compass not working at all. No fixing every other bug pertaining to the core gameplay
The reason why the players tolerance is very low and why they keep complaining so much is more then likely because no one knows whats going on with the staff or the developers, no one knows what the plans are, no one knows what the upcoming plans are, no one knows your priority list, no one knows the content of the update until two days after. Players then start to assume, which leads them to be let down, and it begins to make people entitled and expectant. Which is definitely what you don't want since all of this is being done for free to begin with​

So at this point we really really really really need more communication and word on whats going to happen and what has happened so far if we are going to keep the players from losing their minds. I personally don't care either way and fully respect the staff and all that they do but by now 70% don't share my views.

And again, keep up the good work and never give up!

Last edited:
no one knows whats going on with the staff or the developers, no one knows what the plans are, no one knows what the upcoming plans are, no one knows your priority list, no one knows the content of the update until two days after.
The problem is that the staff don't know a lot of those things either. They work in their free time so it's hard for them to know when they'll get a lot done or not. Due to the nature of coding and bugs that need to be worked out, sometimes that work will be very efficient and sometimes not. By staying non-committal to any kind of schedule, the devs are trying to avoid letting people down if they can't get everything done they said they would because they didn't have much free time or something unexpected came up and there was a delay. I know this isn't the answer you want, but it should explain WHY these things are happening a little better.

Im fine with knowing nothing but I'm sure 70% of players would love to know stuff they can answer like "How far along are they to fixing the land combat issue" or "Are the developers exhausted and need a break" "How are they feeling" "Is everything going okay at Developer Headquaters?"

Some players also might just be concerned if the developers are feeling okay.

I can't fault anybody for wanting a little more communication, and I understand the recent lag issue is frustrating for everyone.

The developers are aware of the issue and have made several attempts to isolate it over the past week, but it's been an especially tricky one. Unfortunately, that's all the information there is to share at the moment.

• No refinements to sailing AI. No fixing stuck player ships/fishing boat issue. No fixing Foulberto. No fixing Land Combat FPS issue. No fixing the occasional land compass derp/sailing compass not working at all. No fixing every other bug pertaining to the core gameplay
Beta released a lot of big features all at once, but the game was closed for months beforehand and work on most of the features started many months before that (long before the alpha had closed). Some of the major issues with the new features will take a while to fully address. Beta is only 6 5 weeks in, and over 30 releases have been made since then, most to address bugs. I know the issue with lag is especially pressing, and I understand it gets old to hear, but a little patience when things are slow is much appreciated.

With that said, I do understand that a little communication goes a long way.

Last edited:
Beta released a lot of big features all at once, but the game was closed for months beforehand and work on most of the features started many months before that (long before the alpha had closed). Some of the major issues with the new features will take a while to fully address. Beta is only 6 weeks in, and over 30 releases have been made since then, most to address bugs. I know the issue with lag is especially pressing, and I understand it gets old to hear, but a little patience when things are slow is much appreciated.

With that said, I do understand that a little communication goes a long way.

I fully agree and I myself aren't one of those people who are impatient. But you know better then I do how the players here are and hence where this outlook comes from haha.

I figure a few messages here and there about hot topics they're complaining about would quell most of the hassle they're giving you guys right now but who knows really.

Me personally I was looking at this and thinking "I can't tell if the developers have slowed down because Beta opened with so much stuff that they're swamped or if its because they're really tired and need a break from it or if theres internal fighting or drama or if they can't figure out the solutions or if they're lacking the files or resources or missing the things they need"

Which could be debunked in one status update, and these are just my worries, imagine everyone else's. They're probably thinking its the apocalypse or something

I figure a few messages here and there about hot topics they're complaining about would quell most of the hassle they're giving you guys right now but who knows really.
I agree it would be helpful.

Me personally I was looking at this and thinking "I can't tell if the developers have slowed down because Beta opened with so much stuff that they're swamped or if its because they're really tired and need a break from it or if theres internal fighting or drama or if they can't figure out the solutions or if they're lacking the files or resources or missing the things they need"
I'm reluctant to speak on behalf of anyone. Things are fine though, work continues every day (even though it may not always feel like it). One other thing to consider is the winter holiday was a good opportunity to work on things and pump releases out rapidly (especially since beta just began) but, now that it's over, other responsibilities have picked back up for many.

Communication is great. In case anyone missed it this was posted a couple weeks ago, during the holiday season, when most folks are extremely busy. The developer took the time to give us this fun update on some cool game statistics!
https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-moderation-department-overhaul.15818/

It doesn't address the lag issues but the Crew shouldn't have to stop what they're doing to give us any technical information of what they're working on. Would a brain surgeon stop in the middle of a surgery to explain what he's doing? I'd hope not.
When they have some news to tell us I'm sure they'll do that.

Keep in mind, they are probably more frustrated than anyone is. They had a dream to remake Potco, I'm sure their hearts are totally into what they are doing. They need our support more than ever. Complaining about things isn't good so let's not discourage the team!

Let's be happy that we're here today where we are, in Beta. It's amazing! Enjoy!

I feel like Beta means something different anymore. Steam games began introducing the world into game betas as a quick sale, or even to boost game progress.

Coming from pre "steam pay to play" beta schemes, I feel like this beta is going as well as anyone should expect. Some big fixes, some little. Progress comes with time, lag gets introduced, lag gets fixed, its all part of the deal. We all agreed to the TOS and by doing so we are intended to understand the game isnt meant to work well yet. We arent even playing a game, we are testing bits and pieces of code that are hanging on to one another by threads. Sometimes those threads break, and as testers we gotta help devs find out what and why.

I agree it would be helpful.

I'm reluctant to speak on behalf of anyone. Things are fine though, work continues every day (even though it may not always feel like it). One other thing to consider is the winter holiday was a good opportunity to work on things and pump releases out rapidly (especially since beta just began) but, now that it's over, other responsibilities have picked back up for many.
this is going to sound really dumb, but hear me out. 1.3.2 was no lag, but 1.3.3 had lag.
What if you reverse to the 1.3.2 update on a dev server, and add each new feature's code one by one? Also when I used to code node, this site helped a lot with finding what went wrong with certain "updates" https://www.diffchecker.com/

this is going to sound really dumb, but hear me out. 1.3.2 was no lag, but 1.3.3 had lag.
What if you reverse to the 1.3.2 update on a dev server, and add each new feature's code one by one? Also when I used to code node, this site helped a lot with finding what went wrong with certain "updates" https://www.diffchecker.com/
That could work in some cases but in this case if they revert, all the progress people made most likely would be reverted back to 1.3.2, any special loot gone and leveling gone.

Last edited:
I personally could not be more happy with the game progress.
Could it be better? What couldn't?
As for the trials and tribulations of beta, well, it's beta.
Beta is as beta does.
The bugs only help me adjust my game and approach it from different angles, learning new skills and techniques I wouldn't have bothered with if not for the "issues" in the game.
Of course, like everyone, I hope the game keeps getting better and better, as it's been doing since I started playing.
Awesome work everyone!
Thank you!

Chiming in. The devs are very aware of the lag introduced in 1.3.3, and as Davy said, they continue to work on it. Remember, there is still a test server that all the changes they make go on, instead of going to the server you all play on. Unfortunately, they haven't isolated the issue yet.

Please also keep in mind, there are some forum admins that do have full access to the devs, and are included in the conversations, so when you see posts from forum staff regarding the issues, they really do know :)

Final thought, they really can't tell you how long it will be, or how far into they are, because they won't know, until they find the issue. Best we can do is be patient and remember that this is exactly what beta is. :)

That could work in some cases but in this case if they revert, all the progress people made most likely would be reverted back to 1.3.2, any special loot gone and leveling gone.
If I may... In speaking to a developer, they told me about the various attempted rollbacks without success. So this idea was attempted and it didn't prove successful. It's a mystery, for sure. One that will hopefully be solved by those same developers in time. But school is busy. Life is busy. We all wish that bugs didn't occur. I'm sure the developers are no different. They work hard and do a lot for the game. I wish them luck on this tricky bug.

Christopher

I really honestly wanted to know if the developers were okay and they weren't going through something since the pace did seem to change (which can be attributed to 1000 bugs pouring in at once).
Im a person who worries a lot more then she should and hoped they hadn't lost motivation due to people complaining or needed something they couldn't get

But as you know, most other players ingame jumped straight to being negative so I figured this thread could also serve some of them well too and quell any kind of misconceptions and angers they may have had on the subject

I mainly wanted this to be a talking point so players who were angry regarding this stuff could take a :chill:

:happy:

most other players ingame jumped straight to being negative

I don't see so many negative people as you continue to mention. Most folks I see are so happy to be back and taking the bad with the good with a lot of patience. There will always be a small majority of people that won't be pleased no matter what, but I may jest to say that hypothetically one can voice their opinions without an imaginary team of disgruntled players behind them.

...We all agreed to the TOS and by doing so we are intended to understand the game isnt meant to work well yet. We arent even playing a game, we are testing bits and pieces of code that are hanging on to one another by threads. Sometimes those threads break, and as testers we gotta help devs find out what and why.
This ^...I like. ;) Couldn't have said it any better.

Why is it so hard for people to "get" that until full-release, you won't be playing the same POTCO you remembered. This...after all, is just a phase/the beginning of a journey.

I don't see so many negative people as you continue to mention.

well I log daily and play the game for a average 5-6 hours and I usually come across the daily 3 or 4 whos either upset about Muertos Moon or annoyed from crashing and I just hope this conversation can shed some light for them and make them more happy about things

well I log daily and play the game for a average 5-6 hours and I usually come across the daily 3 or 4 whos either upset about Muertos Moon or annoyed from crashing and I just hope this conversation can shed some light for them and make them more happy about things
Yea, that is your small minority who will always exist. 3-4 isn't many. Everybody I know is really happy with how it is going, as am I.

Back