Damage seems off?

David Stormparr

Honorable Pirate
I recently acquired the full moon special pistol (keep in mind that it's the game's highest attack single shot pistol) and the full moon special repeater, two weapons which i had in potco and i am a little disappointed . I remember in potco both could easily one shot a level 40 enemy if you charged the aim completely, but in tlopo 80% of the times i can't. Is this meant to be intentional as pistols and repeaters in potco were too overpowered (I wouldn't mind if that was the case, but i just want to know) or is this something that will get fixed soon?

edit: forgot to mention that i have all skill points in the correct abilities to maximise damage and still it does not feel right

Last edited:
What level is your pirate? If you're below 40, then it's nerfed.

I never got to a high enough level in POTCO to experience the overpowered skills and weapons, but perhaps there was a non-intentional (or intentional) nerf with guns and other weapons. Like I said, I can't really tell.

im level 48 and I have the pistol maxed out
Then it's just plain nerfed, period.
I was just using my war blunderbuss and then a snaplock pistol against the same enemy type at the same level and the snaplock delivers the same average hit damage as the war blunderbuss.
After killing 10 flotsam level 33 with each, it took the exact same amount of shots per weapon, with the damage average also exactly equal.
But I'm level 38, which is also nerfed for whatever reason.
There's a lot of nerfing in the game for whatever reasons.

Then it's just plain nerfed, period.
I was just using my war blunderbuss and then a snaplock pistol against the same enemy type at the same level and the snaplock delivers the same average hit damage as the war blunderbuss.
After killing 10 flotsam level 33 with each, it took the exact same amount of shots per weapon, with the damage average also exactly equal.
But I'm level 38, which is also nerfed for whatever reason.
There's a lot of nerfing in the game for whatever reasons.
i experienced something very similar to you also, i recently also got a famed blunderbuss (buccaneers blunder) and i do exactly the same amount of damage as a rare repeater pistol.

i experienced something very similar to you also, i recently also got a famed blunderbuss (buccaneers blunder) and i do exactly the same amount of damage as a rare repeater pistol.
I've been playing around with this as we write, and no matter the weapon, musket, bayonet, repeater or the famed war blunderbuss, it takes the same number of shots and deals same damage over time for each foe of the same level, whether the weapon is famed, rare or just crude, like the snaplock.
Now on an individual basis, sometimes one shot will deal more damage than the next, thanks to the random number generator, but after 10 kills, it all averages the same per shot, regardless of weapon used.

EDIT - I also just noticed that using the take aim feature isn't making a difference if holding it down until it's maxed or just a portion of the way as the damage is still the same as well. In POTCO, the longer you loaded the take aim, the more powerful the shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing around with this as we write, and no matter the weapon, musket, bayonet, repeater or the famed war blunderbuss, it takes the same number of shots and same damage over time for each foe of the same level, whether the weapon is famed, rare or just crude, like the snaplock.
Now on an individual basis, sometimes one shot will deal more damage than the next, thanks to the random number generator, but after 10 kills, it all averages the same per shot, regardless of weapon used.

EDIT - I also just noticed that using the take aim feature isn't making a difference if holding it down until it's maxed or just a portion of the way as the damage is still the same as well. In POTCO, the longer you loaded the take aim, the more powerful the shot.
so the problem is the way shooting as a whole is scripted. Feels bad :(

so the problem is the way shooting as a whole is scripted. Feels bad :(
Well, it's beta, so our observations may help the devs in some way.

EDIT - On a side note, I notice the game nerf for my level at 39 seems to favor foe of level 32 or less, dealing nearly twice the per shot damage when compared to a foe level 33 to 40 and 1/4 the pershot damage to foe between levels 41 and 46, and 1/10th the damage for foe leveled 47 thru 50. So, if it takes me 4 shots to kill a foe at level 33 (and it does), it's taking 40 shots to kill a level 50 foe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some admin on these forums said that the gun damage is unfinished as of right now, so don't worry they'll get on it eventually.

Back