Developers Digest critic - Developer Digest Split Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooibosm80

Dockworker
I am not saying anything on the subject. When we are ready to share any plans we may have regarding TLOPO in general, we will announce it on our website. Until then, please enjoy the updates that the developers share :)

Millions of people enjoyed this game over the years. So it would be unfair to change the game in ways that you or the developers would like. It seems the best way for the team to proceed is to keep it all the same so you dont risk agitating the whole community with changes that nobody is waiting for. The game disney made was great even with the glitches and bugs, frankly bugs and glitches that are not gamebreaking should not be fixed. They belong in the game and should stay in the game. I'm making this post because the team is not transparent at all, and when you make a game for the community you SHOULD be transparent. Again the only reason a team would not give a rough ETA is because they have bad organisation and no leadership. Without a deadline this can take another 2 years and frankly we dont want to wait that long. So please get off your stupidheads and give us a rough ETA and do your job. If your not up to the job then quit and publish everything as open source so we can finish this game and let EVERYONE enjoy it the way EVERYONE remembers the game.

THANK YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Millions of people enjoyed this game over the years. So it would be unfair to change the game in ways that you or the developers would like. It seems the best way for the team to proceed is to keep it all the same so you dont risk agitating the whole community with changes that nobody is waiting for. The game disney made was great even with the glitches and bugs, frankly bugs and glitches that are not gamebreaking should not be fixed. They belong in the game and should stay in the game. I'm making this post because the team is not transparent at all, and when you make a game for the community you SHOULD be transparent. Again the only reason a team would not give a rough ETA is because they have bad organisation and no leadership. Without a deadline this can take another 2 years and frankly we dont want to wait that long. So please get off your stupidheads and give us a rough ETA and do your job. If your not up to the job then quit and publish everything as open source so we can finish this game and let EVERYONE enjoy it the way EVERYONE remembers the game.

THANK YOU

Seems rather unappreciative if you ask me. You're argument was constructive till that last part. I'd recommend rewording it. Also bypassing the language filter will not get you anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did they delete his last post?? And why isnt he replying anymore...

I'll tell you why because they banned him for criticizing the project! What a way to show the world that TLOPO is made by a bunch of sad jokers.

Rooibos told me he got a WARNING for bypassing the filter. So they banned him for criticizing their project and work ethics, ofcourse they couldnt have that because it hurts their ego too much so they abuse their powers to ban him and delete his message to silence his voice.

I've screencapped this entire page if my posts get deleted you will only confirm that I am right, and then I'll post all of this on reddit to expose the lazy butt tlopo team. Also fic your profanity filter it makes no sense.

wow they fixed the profanity filter but they didnt fix their project good work guys

THANK YOU
You forget that they are doing this all out of their own pockets and on their own free time. This is not a paid job for them, if anything it's more like a hobby. That is one of the many reasons that they don't release dates (even if they have private internal dates set).

Also, how transparent they decide to be is up to them. The more information they divulge, the more criticism (positive and negative) they are likely to receive in all directions, such as progress/deadline ridicule, criticism of the choices they've made, which items they've started to work on first, the list goes on. It's just easier to keep it a secret and build the suspense, because at this point the community is very willing to be patient and wait. Besides, where would the fun be without any surprises?

As for the open source bit, that may not even be legal. I'll just leave than

They're remaking this out of the kindness of their hearts. They get to make the decisions, we're not obligated to follow in their progress.

I'll tell you why because they banned him for criticizing the project! What a way to show the world that TLOPO is made by a bunch of sad jokers.
His post is still there, it just moved to the last page. The forum staff and game staff are 2 separate entities, anything that happened to him would have been due to forum rules, not because of what he said about the game.

Check page 11.

You forget that they are doing this all out of their own pockets and on their own free time. This is not a paid job for them, if anything it's more like a hobby. That is one of the many reasons that they don't release dates (even if they have private internal dates set).

Also, how transparent they decide to be is up to them. The more information they divulge, the more criticism (positive and negative) they are likely to receive in all directions, such as progress/deadline ridicule, criticism of the choices they've made, which items they've started to work on first, the list goes on. It's just easier to keep it a secret and build the suspense, because at this point the community is very willing to be patient and wait. Besides, where would the fun be without any surprises?

As for the open source bit, that may not even be legal. I'll just leave than

They're remaking this out of the kindness of their hearts. They get to make the decisions, we're not obligated to follow in their progress.

His post is still there, it just moved to the last page. The forum staff and game staff are 2 separate entities, anything that happened to him would have been due to forum rules, not because of what he said about the game.

Check page 11.

You also forgot that they have been busy??? for 2 years now when TTR took 12 months to get to open beta. I have worked on TTR project and am quite learned in Python, the language which the game runs on and I can tell you that this couldve been finished a year AGO!!! So no I dont appreciate their work at all when they are keeping a good team from finishing it just because they want the pats on the back from the community. This team is wack and doeesnt deserve anything because they are simply not pulling their weight.

You also forgot that they have been busy??? for 2 years now when TTR took 12 months to get to open beta. I have worked on TTR project and am quite learned in Python, the language which the game runs on and I can tell you that this couldve been finished a year AGO!!! So no I dont appreciate their work at all when they are keeping a good team from finishing it just because they want the pats on the back from the community. This team is wack and doeesnt deserve anything because they are simply not pulling their weight.
Those are 2 different games, you can't compare time frames and expect them to be the same. Besides, it's a different team with different real life availability and priorities. They want their game to be proper and optimized, and you can't rush quality. Quantity maybe, but not quality. Also, if you've ever seen one of their development streams, they've made tons of progress. But there's still bugs to fix and features to add, so they're gonna keep working on it until it's properly ready.

All they will tell you is that they have a python code in beta that they need to change to current standards, well guess what, give me the whole code from scratch and I will fix this mess you guys took 2 years to fix, the difference is I'll do it in 6 months and wont need nobody patting me on the back I'll just get it done because its what needs to be done.

Hello everyone, today something amazing happened on these forums. The TLOPO team got exposed for slacking off and not getting the project done. I am a developer myself who worked on the TTR project and many other Python projects, now to start off I want to say that the TTR team was much much smaller then the TLOPO team, in addition they only took 12 months to get open beta out for everyone. TLOPO has been at it for 2 years now and they are making a game they will like, instead of the game we remember and love.
Over the last few months I have gotten the feeling that the TLOPO team has only been doing this for the pats on the back they get from the community, the party is real folks, and its killing our project.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING:
They delete posts that criticize their project or their work ethics. This is now communist china, you can not say anything out of line or you WILL get banned and your voice will get silenced.

This is false. Be informed before you say something that is not true.

You and him both agreed to the rules when registering on the forums. Circumventing our language filters warrants an inapropriate language warning. He did it twice, which results in 6 points, which therefore leads to a 5 day ban. He may use the forums after that time has passed.

Furthermore, if he has any questions regarding this, he may email thecrew@piratesforums.co, or you may private message an administrator. We will not discuss bans openly again. Additionally, any more off topic posts or flaming posts will be removed.

If you wish to respond to my message, you may do so via PM.

Thread reopened.

I'll wait then untill he replies, I read his second post and I'm pretty sure there was no circumventing any rules there, he was only criticizing the TLOPO team, and even if he was circumventing the rules when he misspelled a word, but the word he used is not considered offensive, he wrote the A word, and in a very unoffensive context, he said something along the lines of ''get off your a-words.'' And the nonsensical part is the actual forum filter which turns the ''A-word'' into ''stupidheads''. In my opinion a much more offensive term then being called lazy, just think about the children with autism which play disney games for fun, you know how they feel when they read stupidheads?? So then after the fact you change it to ***. Ok you corrected your mistake, so why is rooibos banned for your mistake?

I'll wait then untill he replies, I read his second post and I'm pretty sure there was no circumventing any rules there, he was only criticizing the TLOPO team, and even if he was circumventing the rules when he misspelled a word, but the word he used is not considered offensive, he wrote the A word, and in a very unoffensive context, he said something along the lines of ''get off your a-words.'' And the nonsensical part is the actual forum filter which turns the ''A-word'' into ''stupidheads''. In my opinion a much more offensive term then being called lazy, just think about the children with autism which play disney games for fun, you know how they feel when they read stupidheads?? So then after the fact you change it to ***. Ok you corrected your mistake, so why is rooibos banned for your mistake?

Chill.

Rooibos told me he got a WARNING for bypassing the filter. So they banned him for criticizing their project and work ethics, ofcourse they couldnt have that because it hurts their ego too much so they abuse their powers to ban him and delete his message to silence his voice.

I've screencapped this entire page if my posts get deleted you will only confirm that I am right, and then I'll post all of this on reddit to expose the lazy *** tlopo team. Also fic your profanity filter it makes no sense.

wow they fixed the profanity filter but they didnt fix their project good work guys
bry tlopo team holds the right to ban or delete any thing they found offensive also your causeing drama it was under the causeing drama rule so yes they had the right to delete his comments then he contined afther his warning and it goes to ban if you contine tlopo holds the right to ban or piratesforums.co so pls understand there side first

All they will tell you is that they have a python code in beta that they need to change to current standards, well guess what, give me the whole code from scratch and I will fix this mess you guys took 2 years to fix, the difference is I'll do it in 6 months and wont need nobody patting me on the back I'll just get it done because its what needs to be done.

Great! Looking forward to playing you game in 6 months! Keep us posted on your progress! So happy you are experienced making TTR and other python projects, that should make recreating POTCO even easier for you! Can't wait! :pirate ship:

Last edited:

THANK YOU
The game is being remade the way it was, but improved. Glitches are called that for a reason, they are BROKEN parts of a game which should be fixed without exception.

How about you get off your stupidhead (?) and make the game yourself, see if you can do a better job?

Until that happens, stop complaining and be even the slightest bit grateful.

Hey there,

I'm going to start off this response by mentioning that it is our aim to bring back all of the content of this game as it was. Of course, this is only our initial goal. No game survives by sitting without updates. We have a lot of great ideas that the Disney staff did not have the chance to implement. There are so many ways we can make that original Pirates Online experience nostalgic, while adding in new content. I know change can be a bit scary for people. When POTCO closed, a lot of people lost a place to hang out. Lost a hobby, or something they loved doing. We want to bring that back, and we have had so much support in our adventure to do it.

I digress, I'm not sure what would appease the less satisfied audience more. I spend easily 4 hours or more a day on this project. I have committed a lot of time, and push new fixes and features almost daily. And I am only one member of the development team. We all work very hard to make sure this game is working at its highest efficiency.

The game is massive, there is so much that this game has in it. We have a lot of that content near completion, but of course there are difficulties and challenges that we are realizing and overcoming each day. Did you know Toontown shipped most of their game with the server-side logic in the client code? This meant that when the client was decompiled, most of that server code already existed. It made implementation of features easier for the Toontown teams. When you compare such a project with Pirates, it really isn't fair. There were absolutely no backend files shipped with the Pirates Online client. We had only our brains to work with. Given that, we managed to get the game running and implement easily 75% of the features or more at this point. That is a huge accomplishment. Consider this: POTCO existed from 2007 until 2013. And even before that, the game was in development (some say since 2003?). We've accomplished over 75% of redeveloping a game, that was in development for 10 years time. And we've done it in roughly 1.5 years. Yes, many will claim it has been longer. However, we did not use any of PORs code. another remake was a different project (started in 2013) using a different codebase entirely. TLOPO was begun later, using their own codebase to initialize the project. Only a couple of members from the another remake team joined in to TLOPO, when they decided it wasn't worth working on two projects (and some of the project leadership was dwindling at that time).

Okay, enough about that aspect, let's get to the criticism comment. I openly ask people for constructive criticism on a daily basis. None of us shoot down criticism, or ban for it. We are appreciative of positive, constructive comments about our game. That being said, there have been rude or abrasive comments made on occasion, which have only been posted in an attempt to undermine our rules, or the forum rules (depending on the medium they are communicated with). We do implement a set of rules in our game, in our IRC, and the forums implements another entirely separate set of rules here. They do not correspond with one another, were created individually, and no staff implements rules from one medium on another. So the accusations that our team is banning, or removing messages, here make no sense.

We love this game. Our goal is to create a positive climate where people can once again stow away from real life and enjoy themselves in a story, in an adventure. If your goal in this community is only to bring in negativity (not to say negativity won't show its face once in a while), this might not be the place you want to hang out. I do hope you'll all stick around, and contribute positively to our community. We always look forward to happiness!

Christopher

Hey there,

I'm going to start off this response by mentioning that it is our aim to bring back all of the content of this game as it was. Of course, this is only our initial goal. No game survives by sitting without updates. We have a lot of great ideas that the Disney staff did not have the chance to implement. There are so many ways we can make that original Pirates Online experience nostalgic, while adding in new content. I know change can be a bit scary for people. When POTCO closed, a lot of people lost a place to hang out. Lost a hobby, or something they loved doing. We want to bring that back, and we have had so much support in our adventure to do it.

I digress, I'm not sure what would appease the less satisfied audience more. I spend easily 4 hours or more a day on this project. I have committed a lot of time, and push new fixes and features almost daily. And I am only one member of the development team. We all work very hard to make sure this game is working at its highest efficiency.

The game is massive, there is so much that this game has in it. We have a lot of that content near completion, but of course there are difficulties and challenges that we are realizing and overcoming each day. Did you know Toontown shipped most of their game with the server-side logic in the client code? This meant that when the client was decompiled, most of that server code already existed. It made implementation of features easier for the Toontown teams. When you compare such a project with Pirates, it really isn't fair. There were absolutely no backend files shipped with the Pirates Online client. We had only our brains to work with. Given that, we managed to get the game running and implement easily 75% of the features or more at this point. That is a huge accomplishment. Consider this: POTCO existed from 2007 until 2013. And even before that, the game was in development (some say since 2003?). We've accomplished over 75% of redeveloping a game, that was in development for 10 years time. And we've done it in roughly 1.5 years. Yes, many will claim it has been longer. However, we did not use any of PORs code. another remake was a different project (started in 2013) using a different codebase entirely. TLOPO was begun later, using their own codebase to initialize the project. Only a couple of members from the another remake team joined in to TLOPO, when they decided it wasn't worth working on two projects (and some of the project leadership was dwindling at that time).

Okay, enough about that aspect, let's get to the criticism comment. I openly ask people for constructive criticism on a daily basis. None of us shoot down criticism, or ban for it. We are appreciative of positive, constructive comments about our game. That being said, there have been rude or abrasive comments made on occasion, which have only been posted in an attempt to undermine our rules, or the forum rules (depending on the medium they are communicated with). We do implement a set of rules in our game, in our IRC, and the forums implements another entirely separate set of rules here. They do not correspond with one another, were created individually, and no staff implements rules from one medium on another. So the accusations that our team is banning, or removing messages, here make no sense.

We love this game. Our goal is to create a positive climate where people can once again stow away from real life and enjoy themselves in a story, in an adventure. If your goal in this community is only to bring in negativity (not to say negativity won't show its face once in a while), this might not be the place you want to hang out. I do hope you'll all stick around, and contribute positively to our community. We always look forward to happiness!

Christopher

aef50301d056b522f7d092eb9dbfcc25.jpg

THANK YOU

I think in your effort to be straightforward and get to the point you have come across as mean and offending (in this and the posts below) even though the other people have replied politely back.

Honestly this is have been said before many many times so I guess I'll just repeat it yet again... if you don't like something don't complain, be grateful they are at least trying. If you claim youre better than them then offer help or if you don't wanna work with them then go on your own.

Nuff said :whoopdedoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back