Loot Devs need clarification!

katnypp

Pirate Lord
Before you unlock a specific weapon, will that type of weapon type appear in loot drops prior to finishing the quest for them?

For example, if you haven't done the dagger quest, will you see any daggers in your loot? OR, did they only show up in loot AFTER you completed the quest for them?

PLEASE include screenshots if you have them or can find them. (specifically if you see a weapon that wasnt unlocked in a loot bag)

from what i remember you had to complete the quest to be able to get the item dropped or ammo. ive been looking at dagger and staff loot and dont see any low levels looting them so from what i can tell you have to finish the quest before you loot them. i also somewhat remember you have to do the quest before you can buy them too otherwise it says "requires training"

I don't have any screenshots to support this, but I believe it only gave you loot for the weapons you had unlocked. I remember I made a character that only leveled sword for the purpose of only getting swords in loot. It was 4 years ago, so I could be wrong though. It seems like that would make sense though.

At the same time, I had a basic access pirate that got Knives of the Golden Idol when fighting Foulberto Smasho once. He only drops knives, so even though my pirate didn't have dagger unlocked I received a dagger.

Either way, I don't think it makes much of a difference, since you unlock gun/dagger/doll really early. Sorry that my response isn't helping with much :p

You would only receive weapons that you unlocked from quests. Same goes for ammo.

In addition, you would also get the type of ammo you were currently using in loot. Say I was killing enemies with steel shot. I would only be getting steel shot in loot because I was currently using it. Same thing with cannon ammo, if you were out sailing and you used certain kinds of ammo, you would get that kind of ammo when you returned to shore and started killing enemies (you would also get it in your sea loot).

The looting system really kind of worked as a way to help you replenish ammo so you would never have to buy it from the shop, looking back on it.

In addition, you would also get the type of ammo you were currently using in loot. Say I was killing enemies with steel shot. I would only be getting steel shot in loot because I was currently using it. Same thing with cannon ammo, if you were out sailing and you used certain kinds of ammo, you would get that kind of ammo when you returned to shore and started killing enemies (you would also get it in your sea loot).

The looting system really kind of worked as a way to help you replenish ammo so you would never have to buy it from the shop, looking back on it.
The only reason this is true is because all other types of ammo in your inventory were already completely filled. Ammo will only drop if you have room for it. It is not based upon which one you are currently using.

The only reason this is true is because all other types of ammo in your inventory were already completely filled. Ammo will only drop if you have room for it. It is not based upon which one you are currently using.
True, that's why if you were cycling between ammo you would get more than 1 kind in loot.

@katnypp - You speaking about normal (weapon) items or Famed/Legendary?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, can confirm. If you hadn't completed the dagger unlock quest, no dagger items would drop from loot. Same goes for every weapon and every skill as well. Say, if you hadn't unlocked Fury ammo for cannons, you could not loot it.

regular weapons Sir :) so if I have not yet unlocked daggers, I should NOT see any in my loot, right??
Right.

I remember weapons placed in my inventory but with no way for myself to access them. (To access them, I either had to finish a particular quest or my pirate had to level to a particular notoriety). I hope that is correct. idk. It's been too dang long...

Right.

I remember weapons placed in my inventory but with no way for myself to access them. (To access them, I either had to finish a particular quest or my pirate had to level to a particular notoriety). I hope that is correct. idk. It's been too dang long...
I believe you are remembering level locked things (Or even unlimited access only items). You could get items that you couldn't use at your current level. But you would never get a weapon or ammo that you had not done the quest to unlock or used a skill point to unlock.

I believe you are remembering level locked things (Or even unlimited access only items). You could get items that you couldn't use at your current level. But you would never get a weapon or ammo that you had not done the quest to unlock or used a skill point to unlock.
Yeah, this seems to be what most remember (my own memory is vague on this, thus the post to the community for their input and insight) so this is how TLOPO coded the loot. phew! You can loot weapons that are above your level, but wont be able to use them until you level up your skill. You won't even see a weapon that you didnt unlock yet in loot.

Thank you everyone for you input, as usual the community is a wealth of knowledge. Some things you just can't find on the wiki. :-3

This is very glitched out right now :lol1:

I was getting guns and dolls when I hadn't done the quests for either, and I'm still getting ammunition for weapons and skills I haven't unlocked yet. (A level 9 pirate shouldn't be getting items like Seige Charge and Thunderbolt in loot lol)

Curious about the rng on TLOPO, is it possible to get famed weapons and higher, from lower levels. And, do you have to be a higher level to get higher loot?

Back