Question Did we nerf the weapons again?

C

Crashalot

I'm noticing since the last update that neither a fullmoon or grand blunderbuss can single shot an enemy of level 40, using steel shot maxed and weapon maxed. What was once 1 shot to take down a seabeard level 45 now takes 3.
Now of course, the red damage numbers show so much damage the creature would be dead twice, but no, he's not...
So, did we nerf weapons again, like we did with the staff several months ago?
Maxed staff with flaming skull can't even take down a level 30 with a single blast these days...
In fact, it takes 2 or 3 usually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure those have been nerfed already too.
What used to take 1 or 2 charges now takes 3.
That's wrong I know it for a fact. I am level 45 and I can take out a level 50 Thrall Captain with one siege charge.

I'm not sure we can even prove this one way or another given how one profiles their stats in the grenade parameters.
I would think what you choose to get to over 5 in skills would perhaps give different damage results compared to others.

I'm not sure we can even prove this one way or another given how one profiles their stats in the grenade parameters.
I would think what you choose to get to over 5 in skills would perhaps give different damage results compared to others.
I'm sure it would be possible to show it statistically if someone has records of attacks before and after an update. You would need to attack the same enemy with the same weapon and pirate build and have a good statistical sample, generally accepted as at least 20 examples. Not likely but not impossible and the results would be reasonably certain but not proof in the absolute sense. Exactly how certain may depend on how the results come out, the larger the discrepancy the more certain it would be that there is a change.

I'm noticing since the last update that neither a fullmoon or grand blunderbuss can single shot an enemy of level 40, using steel shot maxed and weapon maxed. What was once 1 shot to take down a seabeard level 45 now takes 3.
Now of course, the red damage numbers show so much damage the creature would be dead twice, but no, he's not...
Maxed staff with flaming skull can't even take down a level 30 with a single blast these days...
My grand blunderbuss 1 shots any level

Ahoy there!

We have not made any modifications to the way enemies receive damage or the likelihood of attacks missing/hitting.

OK, after a few days of "testing", I can say with some degree of certainty that certain servers have lagging or slow effects and damage seems to suffer accordingly.
On Abassa, everything is working fine for me.
I was using the more obscure servers recently, which is where damage has been noticeably lacking,
As for taking out a Thrall Captain with one siege charge, I'd love to see that one...
Also, I've not suggested that somehow missing an enemy is the problem. I'm hitting them, but not at the power level they should be getting hit with, given the weapon, ammo and skill points.
So in conclusion, what I have noticed is on a slower server, damage on Tormenta is off, for whatever reason.
That or somehow my optimally maxed weapons are somehow weaker for whatever reason lately.
Now, to illustrate my point,
Here's a series of screens with an enemy that would easily be killed with one shot from the Grand, with skill points shown and steel shot used at a full take aim,
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-50-30.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-48-29.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-48-34.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-48-39.jpg

Now here's an even better example, using the Fullmoon, a more powerful weapon, with worse results on an enemy normally easily dropped in a single shot with the weapon and ammo,
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-55-21.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-55-26.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_01-55-31.jpg

So, for whatever reason, that's the drama I've been experiencing.

EDIT/UPDATE

OK, what appears to be the problem is that the "take aim" feature is not having an impact or working as it should here.
Doing a random shot without take aim is having almost the same damage effect as with take aim, and it shouldn't.
So, in conclusion, it seems, for me anyway, that the take aim skill is not working properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, since we mentioned siege charges, here's another issue I've been noticing.
The charge slows an enemy down for 6 seconds, according to the skill point description.
In practice, that's not happening.
In the sequence below, the first charge has been delivered in the first screenshot, then the second charge is tossed in the second screen and there's already a seabeard in my face, even tho he died moments earlier when the charge was tossed, and in the third screen, notice where both the Seabeards actually died, at my feet.
That's a little odd, and it doesn't seem at that speed that anyone was slowed down.
screenshot_2018-03-23_02-21-35.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_02-21-39.jpg
screenshot_2018-03-23_02-21-40.jpg

Now, I just want to make it clear that while I am not complaining about needing to use more ammo or take more time to kill enemies, it is clear that at least for me, damage has been nerfed, or I have been nerfed (LOL), as I have yet to experience these phenomena until only recently.
As an experienced player, with 9 maxed pirates, I'm pretty sure things weren't like this for my earlier pirates with these same weapons, etc, in the past.
And finally, like I mentioned above, this isn't actually happening on Abassa with the same frequency. These screens are all from Cortos, where such has been the norm for me for the last 4 or 5 days, on more remote island servers (as in, I'm not always at Cortos, but some random similar island server).
I'm just reporting observations that seem relevant.

Interesting, I still have not seen any of this but have mostly been using swords for land looting lately. Maybe it's time to break out the siege charges.

The charge slows an enemy down for 6 seconds, according to the skill point description.
In TLOPO's Beta Status Report they have the bullet point: "Finish implementing the remainder of potion buffs/effects as well as polishing weapon buffs/DoTs/immunities." It is possible that the slow down effect for enemies has not been implemented and that it is included in their 'polishing weapons' to-do. Siege charges have been like that for me for the entire duration of Beta.

As for take aim seemingly not working, that is an interesting proposition. I tested it out to see if I am afflicted with the same issue. My grand blunderbuss using steel shot did not take away half the life of a level 40, but with take aim it one shot a level 48. It just might be that you alone are glitched. The only thing I can think of that might help is retraining your gun to see if that fixes your take aim.

Back