Disney Pulls the Plug on LucasArts

Bobby Flat Foot

Pirate Lord
Disney acquired Lucasfilm back in October last year. Today it announced that it is pulling the plug on LucasArts, which was the game development arm of Lucasfilm. The studio says that it has decided to shift LucasArts from a development model to a licensing model. This ensures that the risk in brought down to a minimum, while licensing entails a broader portfolio of Star Wars titles from various developers it will be licensed to. What this basically means is that LucasArts will no longer be developing games internally. This move has resulted in an unspecified number of layoffs across the organization.

Disney also confirms that development of Star Wars 1313 is no longer under LucasArts, the future of this title is not certain at this point in time. LucasArts has been responsible for Star Wars titles as well as other video games such as Grim Fandango and The Secret of Monkey Island. Not known right now are the developers to which the Star Wars games will be licensed too. The last game that was released by LucasArts was a Kinect Star Wars title.
- http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/di...-lucasarts-star-wars-titles-will-be-licensed/

I'm as done as an overcooked hot pocket right about now, and it's not really even because of the potential future of Star Wars being in on the line here. I'm upset because now I know for sure that an unrelated video game series that LucasArts published will not have a future; Monkey Island. I guess 5 games was a nice run, but I was hoping for a 6th or maybe even an MMO or something based off of it. However, now that LucasArts is gone, I think it can be said that the final nail has been hammered into the coffin for those ideas.

Interesting read. :) Not sure if this is what happened but, it does give some glimpse as to the events leading up to LucasArts becoming canceled by Disney.
I think it's safe to say that Disney is overly secretive with just about everything, under their control. Not so good when you consider that "open communication" is pretty much the answer to just about every problem and/or concern.

Just my 2 cents...

yep it's official I will now hate disney for just about the rest of my life... so who thinks were still gonna get a decent pirates of the caribbean game?...

bf562739b1f118c4211d03cfd788f48b.png

Wow way to buy a company just to end up laying off a bunch of employees. Like the economy isn't bad enough as it is. That's just scumbag(Friendliest word I can use on forums) status.

I was hoping for a new Thrillville like alot of people were. It is ridiculously addicting for those that don't know. I have both and I still play them to this day on my Xbox and my Wii. I sure hope it comes out for wii u so I can get it and talk in Miiverse with peeps about it.

Back