Disney's MMOs?

tom da ninja boy

Wanted Pirate
What do you think Disney will come up with next? they were making a Star Wars MMO,but, canceled it.In my opinion, i think they are going to try something else star wars.

I reliable source (@Johnny Sea Slasher) mentioned to me that Disney/Disney Interactive will likely at some point incorporate an aspect (or converting over entirely) "Club Penguin" as a mobile app.

Obviously, this news is important because if so then Disney has basically decided that MMO virtual world games are no longer worth their time nor effort. :mad: *Truly sad to think when you consider how "global" people do enjoy Disney content/characters.

MMO's do offer people a better way to game together, aye? Wish they could figure that one out...:facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I reliable source (@Johnny Sea Slasher) mentioned to me that Disney/Disney Interactive will likely at some point incorporate an aspect (or converting over entirely) "Club Penguin" as a mobile app.

Obviously, this news is important because if so then Disney has basically decided that MMO virtual world games are no longer worth their time nor effort. :mad: *Truly sad to think when you consider how "global" people do enjoy Disney content/characters.

MMO's do offer people a better way to game together, aye? Wish they could figure that one out...:facepalm:

They already have. http://games.disney.com/club-penguin-app

Converting over entirely is the likely next step, but hasn't happened yet.

If Disney actually took the time, they could make one of the awesomest games ever. Here's an idea: Taking something like Disney Infinity in terms of Disney characters in one world put them all together and have different parts of the "realm".

Another idea could possibly be taking at least all the prince and princesses stories and mashing them into one world (especially little mermaid, frozen, tangled, and I think one other mentioned in a plausible theory) and then have yourself create your own prince/princess story.

There's plenty more they can do and the sky's the limit with MMOs if they gave the effort. They own so many different companies some we didn't even know they owned. Disney likely though as previously stated just figured MMOs will never be as big as they once used to be. The problem with that is its quite the reverse as we develop !ore mechanics and more indie groups develop than these large corporations. Yes right now (not to bash a project I help) it may not seem likely a project like Black Flag Online can happen but in the future it will only expand and grow into MMOs? Already indie games are becoming prominent in the gaming world, there's even some indie games that are just so much better than games produced by these corporations.

In conclusion if Disney does work on another MMO well probably not be able to figure it out. I doubt they even are or ever will despite their EXTENSIVE resources.

If Disney actually took the time, they could make one of the awesomest games ever. Here's an idea: Taking something like Disney Infinity in terms of Disney characters in one world put them all together and have different parts of the "realm".

Another idea could possibly be taking at least all the prince and princesses stories and mashing them into one world (especially little mermaid, frozen, tangled, and I think one other mentioned in a plausible theory) and then have yourself create your own prince/princess story.

There's plenty more they can do and the sky's the limit with MMOs if they gave the effort. They own so many different companies some we didn't even know they owned. Disney likely though as previously stated just figured MMOs will never be as big as they once used to be. The problem with that is its quite the reverse as we develop !ore mechanics and more indie groups develop than these large corporations. Yes right now (not to bash a project I help) it may not seem likely a project like Black Flag Online can happen but in the future it will only expand and grow into MMOs? Already indie games are becoming prominent in the gaming world, there's even some indie games that are just so much better than games produced by these corporations.

In conclusion if Disney does work on another MMO well probably not be able to figure it out. I doubt they even are or ever will despite their EXTENSIVE resources.
They could and they might, theres no telling.But, honestly i think disney is still plannning a new something with potco. I mean think about it, they are making new movies and items for the POTC franchise. Do you really think they'd throw away one of the biggest POTC franchise games that they made profit off of for years?Not only that but with new POTC movies it will bring up alot more fans and popularity, which they might wanna make like a new ''POTCO'' or something like that, in hopes of a big money opportunity. Something like this might happen and it might not. chances seem slim, but, it could happen.

The only thing I am certain is...a pirate-world "fits" the MMO platform. They go together too much (kinda like mash potatoes and gravy)!
Think about it; would pillaging, plundering, looting,:gold: and crewing be the same if it were not for teamwork and/or the help from other pirates?:pirate dual: *It's a shame (really) that Disney, with all of their resources and "highly educated" people, can not (and will not) accept this one truth.

And finally, "Chris Heatherly" surfaces...:facepalm:
Note: Mr. Heatherly initially took over Lane Merrifield's job (Lane Merrifield was the last 'major' individual within Disney Interactive to support Disney MMO virtual-world games, which included Club Penguin but also POTCO as well).

Today, Disney Interactive is synonymous with mobile app. games. :rolleyes: *Mr. Heatherly has become a key player in so far as the mobile push for games being developed within Disney Interactive.

Disney?? Pfffffft (that's the clean version). Let's see, they dumped POTCO unceremoniously and without regard to the loyal players who played and paid money for years and in spite of how many efforts to get them to reconsider, they brilliantly waited how many years to do another POTC movie (Johnny Depp isn't getting any younger and he is a big part of their draw for that movie), they also dumped other popular games at the same time as POTCO. Disney wants one thing and one thing only, money and their slice of the NWO power pie.

Would you honestly expect much from them if they did bring out another MMO, much less a POTC MMO? You know it wouldn't be long before you would be in the same situation all over again. I expect they probably want to milk the younger child audience as much as they can since parents have a hard time saying no and that audience is constantly being replenished (and, after all, that is the audience they are aggressively trying to mind control anyway). They won't be able to sell the next Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears to many of us.

Disney?? Pfffffft (that's the clean version). Let's see, they dumped POTCO unceremoniously and without regard to the loyal players who played and paid money for years and in spite of how many efforts to get them to reconsider, they brilliantly waited how many years to do another POTC movie (Johnny Depp isn't getting any younger and he is a big part of their draw for that movie), they also dumped other popular games at the same time as POTCO. Disney wants one thing and one thing only, money and their slice of the NWO power pie.

Would you honestly expect much from them if they did bring out another MMO, much less a POTC MMO? You know it wouldn't be long before you would be in the same situation all over again. I expect they probably want to milk the younger child audience as much as they can since parents have a hard time saying no and that audience is constantly being replenished (and, after all, that is the audience they are aggressively trying to mind control anyway). They won't be able to sell the next Miley Cyrus or Britney Spears to many of us.

I love this post and everything about it! So bleeping true!
Here, take all my likes :treasure: :drink:

Wall of Text Incoming!...
Honestly guys, we need to face the facts that POTCO was originally intended to be a family friendly game that didn't turn out so well, they did in fact drop the ball though when it came to most of their games. During the time that POTCO was initially designed however MMO's were gigantic, and as of the current date they simply are not as big a genre as they used to be. With that said everything Disney did during this time was more or less an attempt to make a quick buck, though their ideas were very promising and could have become something amazing given that enough effort were put into them. The brand name itself is a big part of these MMO's as it can most often decide your initial amount of players (just look at World of Warcraft, they had Warcraft to back it up), had they expanded upon their original idea and let the developers have a little more creativity in it POTCO could have been amazing given that pirates love loot and MMO players love loot (Hi, I'm Captain Hi and I'm addicted to looting :gold:) and pirates also explore and stuff... so yea! Also MMO's are very risky requiring a ton of money and time to be continually put into these games, unlike a regular game where most of the time and effort only requires it to be done once.

As to the whole mobile gaming thing, just look toward Clash of Clans and their Liam Neeson commercial... :)facepalm:still can't believe they had enough money to do that) and Candy Crush :)vader:Burn it with force lightning!) it just proves that mobile games are very profitable with little risk and effort involved. If you don't believe me on the risk/reward thing just go into the app store and look at all of Disney's games, they are basically all the same.

Also if Disney were to make another MMO it should be based off of this:

Wall of Text Incoming!...
Honestly guys, we need to face the facts that POTCO was originally intended to be a family friendly game that didn't turn out so well, they did in fact drop the ball though when it came to most of their games. During the time that POTCO was initially designed however MMO's were gigantic, and as of the current date they simply are not as big a genre as they used to be. With that said everything Disney did during this time was more or less an attempt to make a quick buck, though their ideas were very promising and could have become something amazing given that enough effort were put into them. The brand name itself is a big part of these MMO's as it can most often decide your initial amount of players (just look at World of Warcraft, they had Warcraft to back it up), had they expanded upon their original idea and let the developers have a little more creativity in it POTCO could have been amazing given that pirates love loot and MMO players love loot (Hi, I'm Captain Hi and I'm addicted to looting :gold:) and pirates also explore and stuff... so yea! Also MMO's are very risky requiring a ton of money and time to be continually put into these games, unlike a regular game where most of the time and effort only requires it to be done once.

As to the whole mobile gaming thing, just look toward Clash of Clans and their Liam Neeson commercial... :)facepalm:still can't believe they had enough money to do that) and Candy Crush :)vader:Burn it with force lightning!) it just proves that mobile games are very profitable with little risk and effort involved. If you don't believe me on the risk/reward thing just go into the app store and look at all of Disney's games, they are basically all the same.

Also if Disney were to make another MMO it should be based off of this:
They could, but withh the cards and all it may end up being too like wizard101

They could, but withh the cards and all it may end up being too like wizard101
http://kotaku.com/leaked-video-shows-what-phantom-dust-reboot-couldve-loo-1692446810
not at all, they could do an action based card system except without the PvP and have the game focus around the magic kingdom as the main hub and have the rides transport you to that world (so a ride like Pirates would lead to the world of Pirates) . The enemies could be a lot like kingdom hearts where they just have attacks that you have to dodge/block and such. Plus different cards could do different things such as summoning toy minions, creating shields, and providing weapons to the player.

Honestly guys, we need to face the facts that POTCO was originally intended to be a family friendly game that didn't turn out so well, they did in fact drop the ball though when it came to most of their games. During the time that POTCO was initially designed however MMO's were gigantic, and as of the current date they simply are not as big a genre as they used to be. With that said everything Disney did during this time was more or less an attempt to make a quick buck, though their ideas were very promising and could have become something amazing given that enough effort were put into them.
As to the whole mobile gaming thing...it just proves that mobile games are very profitable with little risk and effort involved. If you don't believe me on the risk/reward thing just go into the app store and look at all of Disney's games, they are basically all the same.
A little bit of nostalgia concerning Disney, MMO's, and POTCO (review all 3 pages)...

Why can't Disney see that their main source of income is not just children wanting to play these games but adults as well! Why not attract adults to the gaming they offer? I've seen plenty of adults without kids wandering around disney world and on the disney cruise ships wearing all their disney gear and taking pics with characters etc. These disney kids grow up to be adults with $$, will Disney give up on them or still try to earn their $$ by making products (such as an MMO) to keep them coming back?

Why can't Disney see that their main source of income is not just children wanting to play these games but adults as well! Why not attract adults to the gaming they offer? I've seen plenty of adults without kids wandering around disney world and on the disney cruise ships wearing all their disney gear and taking pics with characters etc. These disney kids grow up to be adults with $$, will Disney give up on them or still try to earn their $$ by making products (such as an MMO) to keep them coming back?
May it help you to know that key people whom have closely followed Disney/Disney Interactive feel the exact same way as you do:

This only targeting younger audiences things is also what screwed over some awesome shows like Tron: Uprising, and Young Justice due to the fact that they did not get their targeted audience. These companies seem to think that their revenue only comes from children who beg their parents to buy stuff, when I'm sitting here asking Disney to take my money for stuff
:gold: Come on Disney you know you wanna take it...

May it help you to know that key people whom have closely followed Disney/Disney Interactive feel the exact same way as you do:
Shamus spot on as usual! ;) I honestly think that Kingdom Hearts is exactly what Disney should aim for. Kingdom Hearts is simple enough to get through that kids can enjoy it, and complex and difficult enough for older teens and adults to enjoy it too... (I am Biased on the Kingdom Hearts point been playing those games since childhood:cool:) Also the first Epic Mickey also filled this role as well due to the fact that it had a ton of old Disney references that most of us would enjoy and fairly unique gameplay.

Looks like Disney is turning on Club Penguin now. They laid off some of their workers near the end of April, I wonder how long before they close it down to.

Back