Does anyone else crash literally all the time?

I've had several random crashes in the last 2 days. They've occurred while fighting on land or just walking/standing around. They're weird too because I crash to the launcher, but my friends who don't crash say my character stays in game. Some evidence to this was that one time I crashed while fighting an enemy in Fort Charles and had pretty close to full health. After logging back in, my character respawned at Port Royal knocked out.

Hasn't happened to me on a ship yet and it's not very common. One time it happened like 3 times in a short span on Padres del Fuego, but since then it's been like once or twice. I'll post a log if it happens again.

I mean I felt like I got more stability when I started nuking graphics settings.

It would be nice to see the impact on the system for each option but the big ones are,

Texture Detail Level: you’ll notice a huge difference in how the game looks, but does improve stability significantly.

Special Effects Level: hard to say on this, because from my and others finding the ray of light is connected to this in some way.

Reflections: I simply cannot run the game with reflections on. Not because it won’t run, but there is something really wrong with how it interacts with water.

Character and Scenery: I don’t think have a huge impact on performance. If needed turn scenery down. I personally like the toons to look good at least.

Compressed textures and Memory conservation: I would assume laptops and older PC would benefit from these immensely.

Shaders Level: Off and always off. It’s completely broken for me and many others.

Shadows:not sure the impact as it seems to just be character shadows. I leave it off.

Advanced Settings, Anti and Filtering should be just fine wherever you normally set them. 8x is more than enough.

Edit: I should also add that I haven’t had much of any crashing since probably 1.05
And my rig is capable of running modern AAA titles at 4k 60FPS so you have a point of reference.

Last edited:
I appreciate the detailed response. I'm going to try it out right now. I was also advised in-game that I should turn off sound effects and music as well.

I appreciate the detailed response. I'm going to try it out right now. I was also advised in-game that I should turn off sound effects and music as well.
I wouldn't think that sounds are doing much, as they are still there just not audible? I could be wrong.

Also 1.08 has made the game crash again for me.

I used to not crash at sea, but now I do whenever I get near Padres.
It's really annoying, honestly, and the same thing happens whenever I go inside literally any cave in the Caribbean.
The only reason why I was able to get the Lost Blade of Leviathan and Silver Freeze anyway, was because, despite Forsaken Shallows being a "cave" (yet it has no roof, so that could be why), I don't crash in it, so I am able to teleport to friends within it.

Still can't go into any other cave, though, or near Padres.

(Example of a crash provided below)

Attachments

• 2020-04-03-17-37-19.png
    2020-04-03-17-37-19.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
I've heard of people crashing a lot but I myself haven't that much. Yesterday a saw in the local chat :yo no name or anything so I clicked it to see whom it was and I crashed as a result. Bout the only crashing I've encountered.

crashed to desktop multiple times in last 2 days, can not complete a mat run.. sometimes just me, other times everyone on ship. also crash other places than on ship, getting old fast.

I crash doing just about anything, sailing especially makes me crash multiple times per voyage. does anyone else have the same experience? is there anything i can do to prevent crashes?
yes!!!!!! im on right now and trying to sail. everything looks great and smooth sailing.i fill my cargo and go to land then crash.its happen 4 time in 1 hour.other then that the game is coming along very nice.thanks for the hard work!

I'm crashing repeatedly too; not even doing much of anything and abending out to the launcher. They talk about all the "testing" they do, but there's something seriously wrong with how they manage testing since they introduce new bugs with every patch. I'm convinced one or more of the TLOPO folks came from POTCO because this entire syndrome is how it was in POTCO.

I wouldn't think that sounds are doing much, as they are still there just not audible? I could be wrong.

Also 1.08 has made the game crash again for me.
I believe when you disable something, the game no longer tries to make a call routine to that item that is disabled. So, if you turn something off it would /could/should be ignored for the rest of your session? Thus, if some code routine call is causing a conflict, disabling that call will stop the asking for it?

I believe when you disable something, the game no longer tries to make a call routine to that item that is disabled. So, if you turn something off it would /could/should be ignored for the rest of your session? Thus, if some code routine call is causing a conflict, disabling that call will stop the asking for it?
now im more confused. anyway bottom line no one can sail right now..bummer.

I'm crashing repeatedly too; not even doing much of anything and abending out to the launcher. They talk about all the "testing" they do, but there's something seriously wrong with how they manage testing since they introduce new bugs with every patch. I'm convinced one or more of the TLOPO folks came from POTCO because this entire syndrome is how it was in POTCO.
Those comments really don't seem fair at all. To any developer. You code your game for as many system profiles within reason and they do not have control over what people are running. I still submit that the issues will/are mostly with our systems and compatibility problems.
I wonder if a direct x version would have run any smoother or solidly, but tlopo may not be able to utilize that api any more.

Those comments really don't seem fair at all. To any developer. You code your game for as many system profiles within reason and they do not have control over what people are running. I still submit that the issues will/are mostly with our systems and compatibility problems.
I wonder if a direct x version would have run any smoother or solidly, but tlopo may not be able to utilize that api any more.

I have been in IT since 1983 (37 years), including stints as a programmer in 3 different industries using very different platforms and technologies. I spent years managing programmers in a highly regulated industry. Today I am helping my largest client to gain control over their own software vendor (programmers) (now my 4th industry) because that vendor isn't wielding good testing methodologies and keeps introducing new bugs.

Sound familiar?

I am a [very] senior consultant and expert. My comments are not only completely fair and objective, they are accurate.

There are a lot more problems here than just user system profiles. When you deploy a new version and there are substantial problems, you should roll it back to a version that was working. You should not leave your customers wallowing in your new problems. These guys have never rolled anything back. They just expect everyone to deal with the new pain they caused until it's fixed-- but as I pointed out, each next "fix" just presents new problems. This is a conglomeration of cultural and process problems. Sadly it doesn't seem like they are interested in evolving.

I have been in IT since 1983 (37 years), including stints as a programmer in 3 different industries using very different platforms and technologies. I spent years managing programmers in a highly regulated industry. Today I am helping my largest client to gain control over their own software vendor (programmers) (now my 4th industry) because that vendor isn't wielding good testing methodologies and keeps introducing new bugs.

Sound familiar?

I am a [very] senior consultant and expert. My comments are not only completely fair and objective, they are accurate.

There are a lot more problems here than just user system profiles. When you deploy a new version and there are substantial problems, you should roll it back to a version that was working. You should not leave your customers wallowing in your new problems. These guys have never rolled anything back. They just expect everyone to deal with the new pain they caused until it's fixed-- but as I pointed out, each next "fix" just presents new problems. This is a conglomeration of cultural and process problems. Sadly it doesn't seem like they are interested in evolving.
My reactions were about the reference to potco and it seemed to be a slight against the staff in a way. I do remember they have done a roll back.
My apologies if i offended you and your expertise certainly brings some new parameters to the mix.

Yesterday the sailing was broken for me as well as I crashed over 5 times within 5-10 minutes of starting my mat runs.
Due to this I have lost about 5 skull chests and there is no reply from tlopo staff about this matter.
Just now, I wake up and hop online, now I am trying to teleport to my friends and every time I press the go to button I crash, the sea is crashing aswell so the game is practically unplayable if it is always crashing. What am I supposed to do?
Why are there no bug fixes/updates???

Sound familiar?

I believe you do have expertise. Maybe if you offered to help them some progress could be made quicker. Also they have a test server but not many that are on the test server have been getting on before giving us this new system soooo, in my opinion because we are in beta we then become the testers. There was a lot of pressure being put on the devs by people constantly wanting the new system put into effect... to me this is what happens when given this pressure along with not enough people on the test server. I had several people tell me that most of the time you would not find anymore than 8 people on the test server at one time. 100 people were chosen to be testers. So what are the devs to do?? You can't force people to get on the test server. If you have a better solution please help the devs.

I too am experiencing a lot of the bugs, many not on the old system. In looking back it may have been nice if more bugs were worked out in the test server but I can see why they weren't.

Last edited:
Back